ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Make My Mk2 Clio 1.2 8V faster!!? :@

clio mk2 1.2 8v
hi please dont give me hastle for asking this but i currently own a mk2 Y reg 2001 clio with a 1.2 8v engine, its my first car so expensive on insurance therefore this is why i have not bought a car with a bigger engine, im not on the road as of yet, could anyone please let me know roughly what speed my car would do now with it being standard? and also a few modifications i could make to the car to see a little more power/ speed out of the car without spending lots such as recommended exhausts and prices (not too pricy though!) and other things i can do , any help would be greatly appreciated :) thankyou!!
12512_126952497494917_1090965658_n.jpg

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Nothing will make it faster, but ditching those wheels, mirrors and lexarse lights will make you look less of a dick. :)

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
You're not even on the road yet and you're already planning to make it quicker?
You are aware that all mods you do need to be declared to your insurance, making it more expensive, right?

clio mk2 1.2 8v
yes i am aware it is illegal to not declare modifications on your vehicle and i plan on stating these modifications

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
yes i am aware it is illegal to not declare modifications on your vehicle and i plan on stating these modifications

Isn't that a bit of a catch 22 then?

You didn't get a bigger engine because of insurance prices, but instead you plan on making your 1.2 a lot more costly on insurance with mods?

I don't know, maybe I'm being stupid.

clio mk2 1.2 8v
i have had a corsa 1.0 i have been driving a year and half im just not on the road with this one yet :) , and i plan on removing the "chav gear" haha, im not a speed demon either just like to know i got a little bit more power there and any idea what this would top out at as of now being completely standard?

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
60bhp and 93nm
0-60mph in 14.5 sec
100mph top speed
45mpg

could fit an exhaust and airfilter prob gain 2-5bhp but would sound better.

good service would do it more good.

I had a "1.2" Clio ph1 as my first car... It will in no way shape or form get any sort of noticeable power gain
The engine is a 1.149 IIRC, so don't. Just save up and get a better car in the future without the wheela and lights

Tbh I dont think theres any mods for the 1.2 to get major power as the engines arnt that strong to start with, my advice and most people's will be to keep I simple, lose the chav shite and save up for 1*2

Cheers
Scott

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I think it depends on your location Liam, i know in my case its about £200 cheaper to insure a DCi 80 than a 1.2. But then its only a extra £250 to insure a 172

23 with 0 No Claims

Maybe a better option for the OP then. The difference between my 1.2 and 172 insurance was a couple of hundred at the time aswell so i sold the 1.2 and bought my 172!

A DCI 80 with a map would be decent!

09Accord 2.4 3.0i Z4
Could take out the rear seats, nice little van you'll have on your hands.

Do what i'm doing, save your money for a nicer car, in my case either a CTR or if I can stretch an STI.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
You could get an induction kit, nice new exhaust, map it, but then you're talking very little HP for quite a lot of money. Save the cash, put it towards your next car or repairs for your first one. It's not a bad looking car, minus the lights, tints etc. Just keep it shiny and mint, then sell it when you can afford it. It's not worth spending the cash on.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Save your money on engine mods and instead get some decent suspension and tyres on it.

A car that handles great is a LOT more fun than something that just goes fast in a straight line

F4r'd Clio 1.2 16V
People who post questions like the OP has asked make me laugh its like they want to get ate, chewed up and verbally abused paha,

now on a serious note,

best thing I did to my 1.2 was strip it bare and I mean bare, but that's just me

​jack

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Whats the point in that? Its still going to be slow, plus it will be load, and uncomfortable, seems daft to me.

Renault Clio MK4 RS
Ive got a Clio 1.2 8V and yes i know its far from fast. But it can still keep up with the other low engine size cars such as corsa, punto, saxo, 106 and ive kept up with the 16V Clio. It can sit at 70 down the motorway easily and its a pleasure to drive and its more reliable than the 16v models. If you want a faster car dont chuck money into the engine as its not going to do anything to be honest, like if you put a filter on it. It doesnt increase power, it just makes a 'Kewl as feck' noise and makes your MPG decrease. If you want a faster car just save up for one and wait for a few years no claims to lower your insurance.

'IF' you want to make it a tiny molescule faster then ditch the rear seats and spare wheel, Smaller wheels and take a dump before you drive and you might get an extra 1mph out of it but doubt it to be honest. But these are capable of hitting around 95ish. Seen the speedo of mine go just upto 105ish but obviously speedos are out by upto 10% so realistically it was around 95.

Just please get rid of them alloys. They are hideous.

Last edited:
  Nothing at the mo :(
imo its a 1.2. but in my previous experience best way to make a car faster and its free is just ditch all that weight

RB 182 FF
hi please dont give me hastle for asking this but i currently own a mk2 Y reg 2001 clio with a 1.2 8v engine, its my first car so expensive on insurance therefore this is why i have not bought a car with a bigger engine, im not on the road as of yet, could anyone please let me know roughly what speed my car would do now with it being standard? and also a few modifications i could make to the car to see a little more power/ speed out of the car without spending lots such as recommended exhausts and prices (not too pricy though!) and other things i can do , any help would be greatly appreciated :) thankyou!!
12512_126952497494917_1090965658_n.jpg

I'm in the exact same situation as you but i have a 5 door so i am going full snail pace:(.
The best thing for you to do would be, do as other lads have said get rid of the lights and just put up with it. the only mods i have done on my clio is a full sound system which you can show off to your mates and and cold air feed. if you start messing around with the exhaust and air filters you are gunna lose power and your insurance will go up so high you wouldn't believe. i know people that mod their cars and don't declare it to their insurer i strongly DON'T recommend it. just find a very small road and do it all in 3rd gear at full chat!! :D