ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

makin smaller no. plate recess

hiya guys and girls,

can anyone tell me if its legal to change the size of ur no. plate recess as Id like to fit a smaller one (mainly width not height) to the back of my 2003 clio dynamique along with a smaller no. plate...im thinkin along the lines that the MOT cant fail ya later on for a smaller plate cos uve got one to fit the recess like jap import cars...

As far as I know, you can have a smaller recess - as long as the plate is still legal spacing and size etc.

Doesnt mean the old bill wont be picky about it though! ;)

I think youll find you should have a certain amount of excess plate around the letters as well. So a cut down recess will mean, strictly speaking itll be illegal even if you have got the right size letters with the correct spacing beween them.

In saying that I doubt the police would bother/notice it.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

As i understood it the letters and numbers had to be a certain size but there was no law asto the size of the actual plate! ie you can have a huge plate like on the back of some rovers but if your plate is A1 then as long as the lettering is correct they cant do owt.

mite be wrong tho.