ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Making a hole in bulkhead to engine bay

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I want to run a battery isolator on the dash board so need to run some wires from the engine bay to the inside. I’m already using the hole by the bonnet release for my external radiator fan switch (which appears to be the first place most suggest plus I don’t think it’s big enough).

Before I go taking the entire dash out, I assume the best bet is to remove the dash to open up some more space to get a drill through? Will need to be big enough for battery cable and while I’m at it I might run some more wires through for oil temp/pressure gauge. Or is there another hole I could use, I can’t see any.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I’m fairly certain there are some grommets you can feed wires through already without the need of making more holes?

I remember vaguely feeding some hefty gauge wires through on one of my old Clio’s to run an amp.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I’m fairly certain there are some grommets you can feed wires through already without the need of making more holes?

I remember vaguely feeding some hefty gauge wires through on one of my old Clio’s to run an amp.
Any idea where they might be? I had a good look but couldn’t see anything obvious.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I haven’t a clue now.

I did find this thread however which does require drilling,

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Here is one through the bonnet release cable grommet.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Is it a 1x2?

Have a hunt under/around the ABS pump and you’ll find a big rubber grommet with a wiring harness going through it. It’s a decent size and more than big enough to poke holes in and run extra stuff through it. My boost gauge hose and wiring for sub both run through there.

You can access from the inside, you’ll see it at the very top of the passenger footwell which makes pulling things through it a lot easier

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah a Ph1 172. I’ll go and try find that at some point this week. I really don’t want to be drilling holes so this would be good if there is another one to the bonnet release one.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Screenshot 2024-08-07 012759.png

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Currenlty have my fan controller wires going through that one - but I have managed to put them through the original hole in the grommet (which was a right mission putting two wires in!) and there is no room for two 16awg wires in it as well! If I can find something that will work as a grommet so the wires dont get damaged then I might remove the original grommet and pass all the wires through it.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I've done the same with mine and put a small battery behind the passenger seat with an isolator where the cig lighter used to be.

I couldn't get the cable through any of the existing holes/grommets in the bulkhead so ended up just drilling another one, sticking a grommet in it, then feeding the cable through. I did this under the glovebox so it can't be seen in the car.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Battery bulkhead connection is a good way of going through to avoid any chance of chafing wiring. I recall people drilling the centre of the domed bit on passenger side of bulkhead on battery relocation. I put mine higher up behind arch liner as it suited my setup better

Screenshot_20240807_132125_eBay.jpg

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Sorted this all out after a bit of a rethink.
As the existing grommet is quite long the radiator fan wires are well protected even if I remove the grommet, ie have it not seated in the hole. Then fed the 2 battery wires through and used a cut up piece of fuel hose cable tied around the cables to act as a grommet. Still plenty of room if I want to add an oil pressure gauge as I’m toying with that idea.

All wired up and made it look as neat as possible, tucked up around the side of the engine bay, into the relay/fuse box and then under the battery cover I have fitted. So difficult doing this with things like the engine in place!