ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mark1 172

My sis has finally seen the light and is looking to buy a mark 1 172, I know all the known faults of the mark 2, but are there any other faults she should be aware of that just apply to mark 1s?? Its w reg with 30k

Thanx, Viv

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The mk1s seem more reliable and my mate has covered 55k hard miles in just over 2 years in his with minimal problems...

Focus ST3 + proper Mini

only problems I had with my Mk1 was the 4k rattle. and passenger seat cable broke. (had to slide seat forward manually/recline it so ppl could get in back)

Just had the common airbag warning light fault caused by a loose connection under the passenger seat. The biggest problem you get though compared to a mk2 is that it attracts a lot more attention as it is better looking ;)

CTR EK9 turbo

it depends how good the garage is at fixing the problem. I had a few gearboxes on mine, but found out they werent installing it correctly! some seal or something. Its fine now! 4th time round!!!!

Are you sure she doesnt want to buy a Y-reg mk.1 with 39k miles? ;)

Minimal problems with mine - the obvious Renault rattles.

Have heard that Passenger/Driver seat often has a faulty subframe which rattles/squeeks,

Spare Wheel well can collect water

Airbag/STOP light due to seat sensor

They seem to be fine apart from that. Hopefully the gearbox thing is not something to look forward too as mine is out of warranty now!!

The drainage system from the front windscreen got blocked on ours at about 25000 miles and the interior flooded, but I dont think thats common. The leak in the boot was fixed under warranty by the previous owners. A wheel bearing went at 24k. It was rumbling when we test drove it, but I mistook it for the exhaust note! That cost about £70 to have replaced by an independent (Renault wanted £180).

Sadly the 4k rattle has started (at 31k) so looks like Ill be replacing it with a stainless system as Renault charge about £550 for their poor quality mild system.

Oh yeah, everything rattles! But it did that in the MK2 as well, and that had a lot less miles on it.

Thats all I can think of. Generally been pretty reliable (fingers crossed).

Well, shes moved over to the Clio side and bought it!!

After a very long inspection using the long list I gave her all seems well, its unmarked with one previous owner full Renault service, fantastic drive, shes got the grin!!!!!:)

At last shell stop borrowing mine!!

She picks it up on Monday, just gotta get her a ClioSport membership and sticker and shell be set!!:cool:

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy

Sorry, just being nosey - Do you know what she paid for it and was it private or dealer? cheers

Its silver, from a dealer paid 7500ish I think, but could be wrong coz she looked at a few..defo silver tho

Looking foward to going out with both cars and sticking to the speed limits with her..;)

Bloody good price mine was £8400 with 29000 on it and had to haggle like buggery to get it to that.

Word of warning the cambelt snapped on mine after 3000 miles replaced under warrenty but heard there was a batch of mk1,s with suspect cambelts.

try and get the alternator belt swapped vefore you pick it up. 205 pound to fit at reno, a bit of an arse, mine split along the middle after 33000 miles