ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's BMW M140i

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I’ve got MSS’s on my mine at the moment but I am planning to switch to MPS4’s next so interested in how you get on.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mark , why don't you invest in a spare set of wheels with some dedicated track rubber ?

Genuinely, I just can't be bothered, they'd highlight other things that need improving. I'm happy driving the car as it is, and the slight compromise on track on PS4s is more than made up with their on road performance.

My first ever AutoSOLO was last weekend and what a day it was. Apart from the odd light shower, the weather held off, and I got to find out how quickly I could go from lock to lock and back again, over and over and over again. These things are fun. I'm hooked.

Looks like good fun Mark. Bet the power steering pump takes a beating though? Need to try one in the MR2. My sense of direction is shocking though and would no doubt mess it up.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Can’t believe this thread started in 2018!

I remember your vid buying this (and the idiotic RS owner comments) on YT like it was a couple of months ago!

I just went along to brands today to see what the autosolo was all about and looks like fun. They run half of the runs there at the rally stage track which is pretty cool too.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Good video Mark! You have done well considering it's your first attempt.

Excuse my ignorance though but what's the idea behind the parts on the course where you have to come to a stop?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Good video Mark! You have done well considering it's your first attempt.

Excuse my ignorance though but what's the idea behind the parts on the course where you have to come to a stop?

It's to keep the speeds down mostly I think, adds another challenge though, I like them. I'd have stuck another in Woodcote somewhere.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Can’t believe this thread started in 2018!

I remember your vid buying this (and the idiotic RS owner comments) on YT like it was a couple of months ago!

I just went along to brands today to see what the autosolo was all about and looks like fun. They run half of the runs there at the rally stage track which is pretty cool too.

In a few weeks I'll have owned this longer than I did my RS. I've already covered 1,000 miles more, I absolutely love it. I've barred a few of the RS lingerers from the comments on my videos, it was getting so tiresome 😂

BMW M4; S1000 RR
My first ever AutoSOLO was last weekend and what a day it was. Apart from the odd light shower, the weather held off, and I got to find out how quickly I could go from lock to lock and back again, over and over and over again. These things are fun. I'm hooked.

Very cool!!

Can you do this a version of this without being a Goodwood member??

May be the odd one out here but the whole auto solo thing does not interest me in the slightest. Tried to watch the video but found the event footage pretty boring too. (i do watch all your vids btw)

For me trackdays are about being on or near the limit and feeling how the car copes and bounces around on the edge, all whilst following your mate (or someone else) along very closely.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
May be the odd one out here but the whole auto solo thing does not interest me in the slightest. Tried to watch the video but found the event footage pretty boring too. (i do watch all your vids btw)

For me trackdays are about being on or near the limit and feeling how the car copes and bounces around on the edge, all whilst following your mate (or someone else) along very closely.

They don't appeal to me much either, but are a great way to improve your car control. Some of the best drivers in the business started with this sort of thing.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Very cool!!

Can you do this a version of this without being a Goodwood member??

If they're not full numbers wise then they ask members if they have any friends/family that can fill spaces. Keep 18th October clear Jeff just in case (y)

It's a challenge Martin, nothing more, nothing less. Looking two or three cones ahead to plan vehicle position while being smooth and milimetere accurate at each corner is hard!

I get the track thing too, but don't write this off until you've tried it.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Day 534 today which means I've now had this thing just as long as I had the Focus RS. I'm struggling with that, the time has gone so quickly, it was almost 3 years ago I went and picked up the pokey game-changing Ford.

Apart from a wandering eye which strays toward M2s every now and then (unlikely to ever happen, I have 80+% of the car for less than 50% off the financial pain), the fact it's still here and I've had not a single thought about getting rid says it all.

I'm lovin' it.

Video to follow eventually.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You don't have 80% of an M2.

The engine is almost as powerful and has more torque, the suspension, granted, not as sharp, otherwise, there's little difference. Having the LSD on mine makes it a very close match I think.

Even the seats are the same (embossed ///M logo aside)!

The fact mine's the more practical, usable, and comfortable car while costing half the amount is a bonus.

Please correct me where I'm wrong? What's so massively different?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
The engine is almost as powerful and has more torque, the suspension, granted, not as sharp, otherwise, there's little difference. Having the LSD on mine makes it a very close match I think.

More torque?

Both standard cars at Surrey rolling road.

A0C6DA77-D996-4DA7-8729-4FABB78B2B70.jpeg

;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yes mate, she’s a strong engine! I had only done 3,500 miles then too.

I've been told by someone who owned both the M2 and the M2C, that the N55 M2 is the one to go for - lacking a few horses v the M2C but he said the N55, the sound and character of the engine, more than made up for it.

Mow many miles on yours now? Wanna swap? :ROFLMAO:

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR

Even the seats are the same (embossed ///M logo aside)!

The fact mine's the more practical, usable, and comfortable car while costing half the amount is a bonus.

Please correct me where I'm wrong? What's so massively different?

Drive both and you'll know for yourself mate.
I'm not slagging your car off at all as they are brilliant, but there's more between them in a back to back drive. My boss had a 140i and I had a (faulty) M2 for 18 months.

The diff will help yours though, agreed.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I've been told by someone who owned both the M2 and the M2C, that the N55 M2 is the one to go for - lacking a few horses v the M2C but he said the N55, the sound and character of the engine, more than made up for it.

Mow many miles on yours now? Wanna swap? :ROFLMAO:

I’ve not driven a M2 comp yet, but am planning on booking one for a 24 hour test drive once lockdown has lifted. I’ve read very positive reviews on the M2 comp and I did only plan on keeping the M2 for 3 years. It would be interesting to drive them back-to-back to see the differences between the two. Remap and you’re looking at 520 bhp and 510 lb/ft. Weapon!

I totally agree, regarding sound, I’m not a huge fan of the S55 sound and now with the OPFs, it’s very muted. The N55 on the other imo sounds great for a turbo car.

The M2 is now on 15k Mark - mileage has slowed lots recently due to lockdown!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I’ve not driven a M2 comp yet, but am planning on booking one for a 24 hour test drive once lockdown has lifted. I’ve read very positive reviews on the M2 comp and I did only plan on keeping the M2 for 3 years. It would be interesting to drive them back-to-back to see the differences between the two. Remap and you’re looking at 520 bhp and 510 lb/ft. Weapon!

I totally agree, regarding sound, I’m not a huge fan of the S55 sound and now with the OPFs, it’s very muted. The N55 on the other imo sounds great for a turbo car.

The M2 is now on 15k Mark - mileage has slowed lots recently due to lockdown!
The M2 comp 100% WILL NOT DISAPPOINT! Lol! I absolutely love them. It’s what they should’ve been from the get go imo.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Something to fall asleep to...

Jesus, you weren’t kidding about wiping out that cone on run 2! Big oof.

Looked like pretty good layouts, not keen on the full stops but otherwise they’ve made it interesting and put indicator cones out (trust me those are a huge help!). Don’t worry about the last test, we all get occasional tests where you just can’t go the right way, it happens :D

I think there should be a switch or menu option on cars that says ‘No, I actually meant to do that’ which disables the hazards 😂

Congrats on the 10k, it’s nice to sub to a car person who isn’t all ‘WASSUP GUYZ GOT A MAD VIDYO FOR YOU LADS TODAY GOT A 700BEEAICHPEE ASTRA VAN MANS GOT MAD DRIVIN SKILLS BRUV’

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What annoyed me when I went wrong, was that I just then gently cruised around the remainder of the course. I had 200m of the Goodwood circuit laid out with cones for me to play on, without any time constraints, and I just pootled.

Tw*t

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
The M2 comp 100% WILL NOT DISAPPOINT! Lol! I absolutely love them. It’s what they should’ve been from the get go imo.

Seen one in Hockenheim silver with all carbon options installed in the showroom last month. I'm not a great fan of silver, but that was stunning!

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member

I went up to brands and watched, it’s actually pretty cool there as they do the rally stage forward and reverse too (as well as car park)

Everyone was having fun and it’s a cheap way to get in to a bit of competition.

Thought it looked a great craic.

Trouble for some, even a track day is too expensive. Destroy your tyres and brakes and a high risk of crashing or breaking your car etc.

I thought it might be a load of people pootling about but saw some great car control, especially from a young lady in a mini and some chaps in mx5’s properly hooning it.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Slightly off-topic question, because I see it talked about a lot these days.

How much revenue do you make from YouTube with the following you've developed?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Slightly off-topic question, because I see it talked about a lot these days.

How much revenue do you make from YouTube with the following you've developed?

Not much! It's directly related to how much effort you put into it, and I put in barely enough to keep it ticking over and growing at a very slow pace...but then my content is never going to have mass appeal.

You can see how my efforts a couple of months ago (weekly videos for six weeks running) got the base level of earnings up. Then Covid-19 happened and it's really whacked the earnings back down again 🤣 Views are up, but the amount of paid advertising has dropped massively.

Doesn't come close to covering what I spend on petrol and video making hardware/software. I simply do it because I enjoy it mainly.

Screenshot_20200425-200900.png