ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's BMW M140i

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly. On the road, how fast you can go is generally down to your idiocy/brave levels.

On track, the 140 finding that time was a genuine surprise though...I did a double take as I was chopping the laps up when editing and thought "hang on...no way!".

I thought it might have matched the RS, just, maybe.

And the auto (which the majority are) would be even quicker [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
And the auto (which the majority are) would be even quicker [emoji106]

Significantly!

I know I touched on it in the video...but Reg in his auto, which has the exact same power as mine, no matter what gear I'm in or what RPM I'm at, he just f***s off!

The extra and shorter ratios help massively I think, and the quicker shifts? I can just forget it LOL

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Watched the video last night Mark. Great comparison and really good editing.

Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the car after the diff has been fitted. Maybe shave some more time off the laps.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Watched the video last night Mark. Great comparison and really good editing.

Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the car after the diff has been fitted. Maybe shave some more time off the laps.

There's 3 long periods of acceleration at Goodwood...if then diff enables me to exit each of the corners beforehand just 1 mph faster, then for approx. 75% of the lap I'm going at least 1 mph faster than before...and that turns a best lap of 1:33.6 into 1:32.8...because spreadsheet LOL

Well over 50 hours went into editing this one all in...on top of filming it twice becasue of audio problems and almost a third time because there were things I forgot to say and some terrible lighting. Grrr. I'm going to try stick to shorter and simpler things from now on!

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I can imagine it's really difficult due to the effort involved. You can tell the effort that has gone into these comparison videos. It's also what people enjoy seeing. Proper comparisons. Same driver, same track, spec listed of both at the start of video. It's great!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Brief thoughts after 3 weeks with the diff on, it's all good so far. The rain these last couple of days has been eye opening 😲

Default driving mode is now DSC + TC fully off. Can't get enough of it. Still lagging behind @Jeff simply in the rear axle delinquency stakes though.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
As you say, I didn’t drive with DSC on at all but I do remember trying it deliberately out of tight junctions or on roundabouts and found the same thing. It’s a very impressive design. Other than the light flashing you wouldn’t know it’s there.

It’s much less smooth in the M4 and MDM (the supposedly more advance version of DTC in yours) is enough to have an accident. Infact I’d go as far as to say it could cause an accident if you know what you’re doing.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
As you say, I didn’t drive with DSC on at all but I do remember trying it deliberately out of tight junctions or on roundabouts and found the same thing. It’s a very impressive design. Other than the light flashing you wouldn’t know it’s there.

It’s much less smooth in the M4 and MDM (the supposedly more advance version of DTC in yours) is enough to have an accident. Infact I’d go as far as to say it could cause an accident if you know what you’re doing.

Exactly. The point in the video when I said 'I don't like that'...I had it moving, I had control, I needed throttle to keep it moving and bring it out...but the DSC just killed it.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I agree the DSC is very good. To be honest I rarely switch it off. Mind you I don’t see much point in sliding around on the road. What will be really interesting is how much better the car is on track.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member

MDM in my E92 is downright dangerous [emoji23]

Hopeless if you want to try slide it but I guess it's pretty safe for the mongs

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I agree the DSC is very good. To be honest I rarely switch it off. Mind you I don’t see much point in sliding around on the road. What will be really interesting is how much better the car is on track.

There's a chance of 0.5-1.0 seconds around Goodwood if my estimates are anywhere near close to being correct. Watching my best lap with traction control on I had it spinning the inside wheel and TC activating constantly from 60-90 MPH on the way onto the longest straight.

If that inside wheel spinning is translated into forward motion by the diff I could be 2-3 MPH ahead all the way to the next corner.

Forecast is for snow all winter. Play safe Mark👍😂.

I'm looking forward to it :ROFLMAO:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Braking's difficult as there's no sensor inbuilt.

The only way I've found to log it is by using the phone's accelerometers which, if mounted longitudinally, gives a fairly good measure of force and smoothness.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
...and for the first time this morning I genuinely sh*t my pants.

Accelerating onto a dual carriageway, 4th gear, 60 mph-ish, over a little bump/crest, and then SNAP, I'm looking at the verge. F*** me. I gathered it up, wasn't very graceful, tried my best to make it look like, you know, I intended to do that bro'.

I've learned from it...but still, phew, cloth was touched.

Accelerating onto a dual carriageway, 4th gear, 60 mph-ish, over a little bump/crest, and then SNAP, I'm looking at the verge. F*** me. I gathered it up, wasn't very graceful, tried my best to make it look like, you know, I intended to do that bro'.

You only learn limits by going beyond them. (y)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You only learn limits by going beyond them. (y)

I normally like to just tip-toe up to and put one toe over the line, you know, what if but safely. This was like a full on leap over, really caught me by surprise.

Thinking about it I recently upped my tyre pressures as they'd not been done since the warmer weather and so had all dropped circa 5 PSI as the ambient temps dropped. That could well be a factor...me not taking that into account and just driving as I have been.

Must also remember, 400 lbsft at 2k rpm LOL

I normally like to just tip-toe up to and put one toe over the line, you know, what if but safely. This was like a full on leap over, really caught me by surprise.

Thinking about it I recently upped my tyre pressures as they'd not been done since the warmer weather and so had all dropped circa 5 PSI as the ambient temps dropped. That could well be a factor...me not taking that into account and just driving as I have been.

Must also remember, 400 lbsft at 2k rpm LOL
WOT + RWD + 400 ft/lb + Crest = :poop:

I did that once, crossed the painted white line onto the motorway in the wet and the back end went :poop: It did s**t me for a sec, but I was on it and nothing happened.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Did you have all the driving aids on and were you on full throttle? Bit scared this could happen to me (400hp 570nm, winter etc).

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
One of these flew by me yesterday, my god it picked up so well.

I'm still not convinced they are "engagingly" fun to drive from looking at your videos. Fast, granted but I reckon I'd be bored.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Did you have all the driving aids on and were you on full throttle? Bit scared this could happen to me (400hp 570nm, winter etc).

Driving aids off, maybe 60-70% throttle...footage of it happening made it into the video above...although watching it back it looks far less dramatic than it felt when it happened!

Great video dude, loved how none waffly it was!

Perfect 😁 I've been planning this one for ages...wanted to keep moving it along at pace, thanks for the feedback (y)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I know it’s not necessarily like for like power wise, but I wasn’t surprised when you posted a faster laptime in the beemer than the Focus. For all that hard, crashy suspension, what did it actually achieve speed-wise, and was it worth all the discomfort all the rest of the time? Not really, and that’s where a lot of hot hatches fall down these days IMO.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I know it’s not necessarily like for like power wise, but I wasn’t surprised when you posted a faster laptime in the beemer than the Focus. For all that hard, crashy suspension, what did it actually achieve speed-wise, and was it worth all the discomfort all the rest of the time? Not really, and that’s where a lot of hot hatches fall down these days IMO.

I think that's perhaps being a bit unfair on the Focus in a way. It is a hard-riding car (so was the ST actually), but I think that was very deliberate. It was never a car designed for the ultimate lap-time, hence them never bothering with 'ring times etc. The priority was fun rather than knocking tenths out of everything.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I guess, but being bounced around like a brick in a washing machine is only fun for so long. Especially if you’re not really gaining anything from it.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I guess, but being bounced around like a brick in a washing machine is only fun for so long. Especially if you’re not really gaining anything from it.

I've never spent any time in one on the road unfortunately, so can't really comment on its road manners, only a brief taste on track. A lot of buyers seem to be ok with a relatively firm ride these days and Focus RS sales exceeded expectations from what I've been told, so I guess it wasn't an issue for a lot of people. Hard = sporty in the minds of many after all.