ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's BMW M140i

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Another great video Mark.

1AA33177-7A71-419B-921C-8C6693E680E7.jpeg

That’s a 140i isn’t it? I like the subtle spoiler on the back, adds a nice touch without being in your face.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the ‘M PERFORMANCE’ down the side is a bit tragic.

I’ve just realised why I’ve got a soft spot for these. They remind me of the Z3M Coupe.

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Good video Mark, both great cars I was seriously considering a FRS before I finally bought the BMW.

You mentioned on the video about not having an oil temperature gauge but my M140i does via the trip computer scroll?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yeah the ‘M PERFORMANCE’ down the side is a bit tragic.

I’ve just realised why I’ve got a soft spot for these. They remind me of the Z3M Coupe.

They are genuine BMW M performance, but I wouldnt have them. And the mirror caps are M3.. quite like them.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I look very unimpressed compared to Reg, Gordon and Lib at that launch!

That was cut in as a late last minute afterthought...otherwise I'd have said exactly this on the video.

Everyone else, super impressed, totally in awe, laughing out loud.

Jeff simply; cool as f**k, yeah whatever.

Good video Mark, both great cars I was seriously considering a FRS before I finally bought the BMW.

You mentioned on the video about not having an oil temperature gauge but my M140i does via the trip computer scroll?

Yours is an LCI2 model? With the 'digital' dials? It was an addition on the LCI2 so mine's without it. You can also display speed IIRC?

As far as I'm aware, no one has retro enabled it onto a pre LCI2 car yet. Nor does anyone seem bothered...I've never even seen that thopught mentioned!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Another great video Mark, got to say I love the new CTR, especially in sonic gray.

I'm assuming you'll be going for MHD/BM3 instead of a piggyback?

More power will be insane coupled to that LSD, bring on the monthly tyre reviews!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Another great video Mark, got to say I love the new CTR, especially in sonic gray.

I'm assuming you'll be going for MHD/BM3 instead of a piggyback?

More power will be insane coupled to that LSD, bring on the monthly tyre reviews!

LOL you beat me to it...

Reading a lot of the comments (which is primarily why I made this one) has made me shift position completely.

I did have my finger poised over the "buy" button for MHD. My insurance renews next weekend so I thought, boom, let's 'ave it. 430bhp. Why not?

Now, again, I'm thinking...why?

It scares me as it is. I've not yet had it on track, with the diff, with standard power and in the dry.

On the road, as it is, I can totally wring its neck. I like that. I don't want it to be too fast so I have to keep backing off.

360 bhp is a nice usable amount, and the chassis copes OK with it. Why ruin that?

Hmmmm.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I'm completely with you Mark, I'd say it's already quite overpowered for road use as it is.. I suppose it's exhilarating to do some extreme 30-70 pulls but really, how often are you going to do that while having to hold back everywhere else?

Still.. 430 bhp! Got to try it at some point at least!

Can always decide to give it a go after some more track time (end of next year?).

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'm completely with you Mark, I'd say it's already quite overpowered for road use as it is.. I suppose it's exhilarating to do some extreme 30-70 pulls but really, how often are you going to do that while having to hold back everywhere else?

Still.. 430 bhp! Got to try it at some point at least!

Can always decide to give it a go after some more track time (end of next year?).

Exactly. Another year with an LSD equipped rear wheel driven 360bhp 1,400 kg car is no real hardship tbh. a power increase is only an app download and insurance call away after all.

It's a slippery slope though. a remap is likely to be the start of spending tons of money on things the car really doesn't need as it is.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve had a similar dilemma with the RS3, whether to get it mapped or not.

On the one hand it would make it even more ridiculous, but on the other for the driving I do it’s not exactly needed.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I have never got into mine and though "yes, this needs more power" or even any other upgrade for that matter, apart from a manual gear box but that is a different matter. I get the LSD upgrade and I would be tempted with it but I don't think I would "use" it and I probably should get one for my E34 first. But I don't use mine like you, mine is just a daily diver.

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Yours is an LCI2 model? With the 'digital' dials? It was an addition on the LCI2 so mine's without it. You can also display speed IIRC?

As far as I'm aware, no one has retro enabled it onto a pre LCI2 car yet. Nor does anyone seem bothered...I've never even seen that thopught mentioned!

My M140i is on a ‘68 plate’ so must have the additional features. And yes I am sure it shows the digital speed as well.

It takes at least 10 mins of driving to get the oil temperature right up, feels an age!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
My M140i is on a ‘68 plate’ so must have the additional features. And yes I am sure it shows the digital speed as well.

It takes at least 10 mins of driving to get the oil temperature right up, feels an age!

I had the luxury of an oil temp gauge on the Focus RS and on my 13 mile commute I hit mile 9 or 10 before the oil was up to temp. It made it very clear to me that low miles isn't all that...most low mileage cars have spent their entire life running with cold oil!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I’m surprised by how few ‘interesting’ cars you had before the Clio! Love the Ignis though, great cars.

They were white goods, I knew nothing about cars whatsoever other than what I saw on Top Gear (the old 90s version).

When I bought the V6 Mondeo I thought 'made it', proper baller, then I got left for dead by a Saxo 🤣

I was kinda glad we got by ok with the Focus, left me with free reign when shopping for the Mondeo's replacement.

Ignis though, loved it. Flat out everywhere and it felt and sounded fantastic while you did.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Sat and watched quite a few of your latest vids last weekend mate. Really enjoyed them and like your none biased approach to stuff in regards to the BMW Vs RS.

I'd love chuck you the keys to my 220 and let you do a video with it

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Sat and watched quite a few of your latest vids last weekend mate. Really enjoyed them and like your none biased approach to stuff in regards to the BMW Vs RS.

I'd love chuck you the keys to my 220 and let you do a video with it

I'd really like that! The logistics will take some planning, I've a couple of other member's cars I'm hoping to film in so maybe I'll plan a road trip around the UK next year and get them all done in a week.

Don't sell it!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I'd really like that! The logistics will take some planning, I've a couple of other member's cars I'm hoping to film in so maybe I'll plan a road trip around the UK next year and get them all done in a week.

Don't sell it!
Lol it's going no where mate!
Offer will always be there 👍

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I finally got round to trying a 0-100 mph run yesterday as the sun was setting on my local disused airfield.

10.3 seconds on my one and only attempt. I think I could have shaved another 1/10th off if I tried a few more times and perfected my launch/shifts...but that'll do.

It goes alright.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I finally got round to trying a 0-100 mph run yesterday as the sun was setting on my local disused airfield.

10.3 seconds on my one and only attempt. I think I could have shaved another 1/10th off if I tried a few more times and perfected my launch/shifts...but that'll do.

It goes alright.

That's plenty fast really chap!

Say that comes down to 9 with a remap, whoopty-f**king-do tbh!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

It goes alright.

Is that the place you spoke about? Race you

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That's plenty fast really chap!

Say that comes down to 9 with a remap, whoopty-f**king-do tbh!

Ultimately faster but I think it'd be harder to do it.

With the PS4s, apart from a little chirp at the beginning, it stayed totally hooked up through 1st gear with full throttle. I'm sure your LSD helped 😁

Remapped it would take a lot more finesse.

Is that the place you spoke about? Race you

Not that place, somewhere nearby but can't run two at once unfortunately.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ultimately faster but I think it'd be harder to do it.

With the PS4s, apart from a little chirp at the beginning, it stayed totally hooked up through 1st gear with full throttle. I'm sure your LSD helped 😁

Remapped it would take a lot more finesse.

Not that place, somewhere nearby but can't run two at once unfortunately.

Not to push you toward mods, but I think you'd be surprised. My M135i launched like a madman with the JB4 stuck on there.

I actually meant, faster than what? And would it make it a better car?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

It goes alright.

What was that measured on? Seems VERY fast especially for a manual!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What was that measured on? Seems VERY fast especially for a manual!

Nothing other than video of my speedo, and me then cutting the footage from when I hear drive engage as the clutch comes up, to when the needle touches 100 mph.

10 seconds and 10 frames on a 30 FPS timeline.

So not really accurate at all. Accurate enough for me to know it's f**king quick though 😁

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Another look back here, but at all the cars in which I've recorded the dials as I've gone from zero to 100 mph...contains a very good performance by the Clio 172 Cup!