ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Max Payne 3

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Some of the graphics on this are really fantastic. Really liked the burning building stage admiring the visuals.

The Achievement for Killing 7 people while jumping from the rickety boat was a nightmare as I think they patched the game so the exploding barrel didn't register. Had to use one of my Golden Guns (the Uzi) and go back to the chapter selection to unlock the Achievement, which worked first time. The Golden Guns are class.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Argh. Really want to play this.

You'll need your 360 pad.

The fuckwitts at Rockstar royally shafted the K&M inputs on LA Noire - to the point that the LMB and RMB were pretty much rendered useless. Plug a spak-pad in - and low and behold, it's flawless. :(

I can't imagine that they will make the PC inputs any better with this. Unless one of their devs have been tasked to address the issue specifically? Highly doubt it, mind. A shame as the camera angles using the mouse on the previous games with bullet-time were awesome.

D.

Evo 5 RS
joypad for 3rd person games, sports sims and possibly racing.

Anything else and it's as useful as an impact parachute.

You'll need your 360 pad.

The f**kwitts at Rockstar royally shafted the K&M inputs on LA Noire - to the point that the LMB and RMB were pretty much rendered useless. Plug a spak-pad in - and low and behold, it's flawless. :(

I can't imagine that they will make the PC inputs any better with this. Unless one of their devs have been tasked to address the issue specifically? Highly doubt it, mind. A shame as the camera angles using the mouse on the previous games with bullet-time were awesome.

D.

I've read the K&M controls aren't too bad!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
IIRC, joypad > K&M.

I'd love to agree, but it just doesn't feel that way for me. The pad's great for things like Forza, which in turn is no doubt pwned by a Fanatec wheel or similar.

But what irritates me beyond the point of frustration is that Max Payne 1 & 2 were developed with the K&M as the input mechanism. Now with 3 being released (and so close relatively speaking to LA Noire) - I bet it will favour the pad and K&M take a back seat. Hopefully as Scone says, the K&M controls won't be so bad - but I'll be pretty pissed off is they are as bad as LA Noire.

And I simply cannot abide this...... again, taken from LA Noire's options screen. I'll be amazed if Max Payne 3 doesn't have it.

IMG_1224.jpg

The FPS equivalent of going on a stag weekend and drinking Ribena. That is there, purely as a necessity for the pad players. Feckin' n00bs. ;)

D.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Old School is a difficulty setting. Nothing to do with the aiming mate.

Hardlock/Softlock/Free Aim are the aiming modes.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I'm finding the game very irritating personally, I always seem to be running out of ammo despite killing loads of people and having choice of all their weapons, the weapon switching is annoying, hiding in cover mechanism doesn't work well and the controls are sh*te.

Evo 5 RS
I'm finding the game very irritating personally, I always seem to be running out of ammo despite killing loads of people and having choice of all their weapons, the weapon switching is annoying, hiding in cover mechanism doesn't work well and the controls are sh*te.

Think this is where you're going wrong :rasp:.

I've not played it yet, hopefully give it a go later on.

AK

M240i

Ammo is an issue for me as well.

M2 Comp
Not very often that I buy games but picked this up on Friday night and have to say it has been awesome so far!

Anybody else finding the lack of checkpoints quite frustrating tho??

Cayman S Edition 1
Bought it Friday and finished it this morning. Simply brilliant game so playing it again:)

Evo 5 RS
Much prefer playing this with a controller on PC. Rockstar have made good on this one.
The people who are saying its repetitive need to go back and play the first two games. This one keeps true to the gameplay but adds a necessary cover system, if you jump around like a maniac you will die. The euphoria makes or breaks this game in a way, popping goons in the leg and watching them tumble down the stairs trying not to smack their head on the way down is gold lol.

The narrative shows up most games as per usual, and although Max is his same old dry self, he has some great remarks and is much more believable than before. Cut scenes, same goes but the needless transition from room to room can get irritating and is a bit too much.

Graphics are top quality, with some great animation and debris effects. Sometimes the lighting is lacking but nothing criminal. Overall I'm about 6 or so chapters in. I didn't expect too much as it was always going to be a bit of fun, but they've done it with class

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Not very often that I buy games but picked this up on Friday night and have to say it has been awesome so far!

Anybody else finding the lack of checkpoints quite frustrating tho??

Lack of checkpoints? There's at least 12 on every chapter.

Yaris Hybrid
I really enjoyed this game, awesome soundtrack, loved the story and especially Max Payne himself. Some great voice acting and scripts.

I also use the 360 pad for this on PC. I only play single player though so I play what is most fun (rumble, using TV, sitting back from screen) rather than what technically works best in competitive PVP.

I like the new game additions such as the cover mechanic and being able to move around on the floor and shoot. Somehow it didn't quite feel as tight gameplay wise compared to MP 1 and 2 which I played on both Xbox and PC at the time.

Graphically it is a mixed bag on PC. On the plus side it isn't very power hungry so you can easily run it on max settings. But the downside is that the graphics look pretty damn poor in places by modern PC game standards.

There were a couple of places where I'd have liked another checkpoint but that wasn't a major issue for me. Also weapon switching with the joypad in combat was for me extremely frustrating, I think it could have been done better.

I think some of the levels were weak. I'd have liked to have seen more levels where there were civilians running around screaming and stuff. The nightclub kind of hinted at the potential a bit but most of the time it was just you and the bad guys in an empty world. Much like the graphics I put this down to the limitations of consoles gimping the design.

This is all nitpicking though. My memories of this game will be of it being a classic.

Yaris Hybrid
long as I dont play it with tesselation on my 680 works OK

games not bad

I play with tesselation on "very high" and I only have a 580 and currently have the stock profile for my CPU loaded yet it runs silk smooth. Everything else is on the maximum settings bar MSAA which is on 4x. I'd have thought the 680 should be absolutely cruising. Do you have the latest driver?

Either that or you are running at a ridiculously high resolution where as I switch mine over to my TV at 1080.

@Silent_Scone - MSAA is merely polishing the low detailed environments. I run it on 4x which is as much I can with my video ram limit and it doesn't look noticeably better compared to turning it off entirely unless you sit with your nose up against the screen nit picking things you would never see in motion.

MSAA does nothing for a number of places in the game where it just looks a bit plain and bland. Running ridiculous levels of AA to try (and fail) to make your machine chug is missing the point...

Anyway you are making me talk as though the game looks bad which it doesn't. The game is quality but it could have been better but for being designed down to the hardware limitations of the consoles. That being said I'd happily play it on 360 and love it.

Evo 5 RS
It's not missing the point if you use 16x, looks fantastic. 8x MSAA is fine for me. You said the graphics are pretty damn poor. What's that supposed to mean other than it looks bad? Make your mind up boyo lol.

Not sure what you'd be expecting if it wasn't on console really, you've just said yourself you're already at your VRAM limit pretty much. The game looks great with all the whistles and bells

Last edited:
  Yaris Hybrid
It's not missing the point if you use 16x, looks fantastic. 8x MSAA is fine for me. You said the graphics are pretty damn poor. What's that supposed to mean other than it looks bad? Make your mind up boyo lol.

Not sure what you'd be expecting if it wasn't on console really, you've just said yourself you're already at your VRAM limit pretty much. The game looks great with all the whistles and bells

Pretty damn poor IN PLACES. Quoting out of context there mate.

There are a number of points in the game like the boat chase sequence for example where for me the graphics are not consistent with the quality on other levels. The detail levels have been noticeably knocked down a few notches because clearly the consoles couldn't run that sequence whilst maintaining a quality consistent with the rest of the game. For me that was a bit immersion breaking because the step down was so noticeable.

MSAA is polishing in a turd in those areas, as I said I can turn it off entirely and cannot notice the difference when playing. It doesn't re-model the environments. If you run 32x MSAA on Golden Eye on your N64 emulator you realise it won't look like Crysis 3 right?

Also remember this game is pretty linear (not a problem in itself) and isn't on the scale of the environments in say GTA IV or Arkham City. The quality in the best looking areas is therefore the minimum I'd expect given the small amount of real estate it is rendering.

The other thing I pointed out is that you are almost always fighting in ghost towns where it is just you and the bad guys. That can legitimately be explained in some environments e.g. the football stadium would be empty anyway at that time of night. However I feel in other levels there was an opportunity to have lots of non-combatants running around and in a couple of other levels there was an opportunity to see two factions fighting each other - I was actually expecting this when I started the levels but was left feeling disappointed and let down when it turned out to be just some pre-scripted set pieces and some sound effects in the back ground!!! Very cheap and very 2003! After a brief taster of "what could have been" in just one small part of the Nightclub level it felt like I had been cheated.

Evo 5 RS
I'm guessing you were a wee lad when the first one came out. If you were expecting something else you were mislead. It's your typical action shooter on steroids, and its formula works well. Be grateful it's not over in 4 hours like most of its genre

MSAA effectively renders the scene at a higher resolution so of course it will look better if you can run it. And it does.

Last edited:
  Yaris Hybrid
I'm guessing you were a wee lad when the first one came out. If you were expecting something else you were mislead. It's your typical action shooter on steroids, and its formula works well. Be grateful it's not over in 4 hours like most of its genre

MSAA effectively renders the scene at a higher resolution so of course it will look better if you can run it. And it does.

Did you even bother reading my post? I think you are in danger of coming across as a fan boy - you don't have to be greatful for anything, you are consumer buying a product so no need for you to blindly defend it.

Also please enough with the deliberate miss-quoting and strawman attacking already!!! I never knocked it for being an action shooter and my complaints have nothing to do with it being an action shooter.

I am 36 so I was certainly not a wee lad when I played the first two and I was expecting a 2012 remake that moved the genre on. In many ways the game did do that but given that it was designed to run on 2005 hardware that was launched only 2 years after MP2 it is understandable why it moved it on more in some areas than it did in others.

If you read my post you would see I pointed out areas where the game did things I was expecting of a 2012 update (a few brief parts of the night club level) but my complaint is that other levels cheesed out and used background sound effects or a few pre-scripted events instead. Can't go into detail as don't want to post spoilers of course but you know the levels I mean.

You also seem obsessed with MSAA but I already explained about MSAA not doing anything for the low levels of detail in some parts of the game. I am not talking about resolution or a few jaggies that would be CONSISTENT ACROSS EVERY LEVEL. I am talking about the variation in detail between levels with some of the more ambitious levels having a noticeable drop in quality that for me was a bit immersion breaking given the quality of the other stuff.

No offence but if you think when I get my 680 and turn it up from 4x MSAA to 8x MSAA it will suddenly bring the weak levels up to the standard of the strong levels then well....."LOL" is all I can say.

Anyway that is my beef - the game has a few epic moments that hint at what could have been done but then for the most part reverts back to the tired old "ghost town" format and as mention the inconsistency in quality. For me the ghost town effect is the greatest disappointment.

The game is great, 8 out of 10 on PC and I'd give it a 9.5 if I was playing it on 360 in its current condition.

Hopefully if they make another it will be on the next generation of consoles and my complaints will be addressed.

Loving it so far tbh, it's a normal Max Payne game which has good action but more importantly a story.

And LOL at the guy who said it's the same engine etc, you know the PC version has 10gb+ of extra high def textures etc right? Guess not!

I've downloaded it so far, waiting to find a cheap Steam key and then I'll whack on multiplayer :)

Impressed so far though

On another note, I'm stuck and it's pissing me off.

I'm on a roof of a building I've just blown up with dynamite, and the process of escaping leads to one skullf**k after another, and I always die at the same place. I have no pills and cannot seem to do it :(.

Last edited:
  Yaris Hybrid
I'm on a roof of a building I've just blown up with dynamite, and the process of escaping leads to one skullf**k after another, and I always die at the same place. I have no pills and cannot seem to do it :(.

As I remember you kill those guys and then you get a mini boss guy on top of a roof - one of those guys with a big gun and a helmet. You kill all the bad guys and kill that mini boss quickly before the time runs out and then you get a cut scene.

There are some pills on that level.

IIRC you shoot some guys from the start of the check point. Then go round a left hand bend and up a flight of stairs. NOrmally you go left at the top towards where that mini boss fight takes place. But if you go right at the top of the stairs there is a small room with some pills inside.

In reply to JackJack - nah all you need to know is that his wife and kid were murdered in the first game and then he hit the bottle and became addicted to pain killers. Oh and he is a sucker for femme fatales that seem to cause him misery. Apart from that lot it doesn't really follow on anything.

Evo 5 RS
You're typing way too much. Lol. Also you'll need more than one 680 for 8x. Just so you know.

People that don't have guns normally do run away though? Lol don't go off on one again please!

Last edited:
  Yaris Hybrid
You're typing way too much. Lol. Also you'll need more than one 680 for 8x. Just so you know.

People that don't have guns normally do run away though? Lol don't go off on one again please!

Considering getting two but I can barely tell the difference between nothing and 4x when game is in motion so it is overplayed and unrelated to the flaws I list.

Anyway - Die Hard Trilogy on the PS1 in 1996 - Part 1 did Max Payne long before Max Payne did it. There is a level in an office block with all the civilians running around trying to escape etc.

Yet in Max Payne 3 the office block is conveniently empty as is almost every other level.

The epic scene in the airport where the track "Tears" starts playing. Again it could have had people running around fleeing in the confusion, people hiding, crawling around on the floor injured (cross between 1996 die hard game and the "No Russian" level in MW2), could have been an achievement for not hitting a civvie etc but instead no.....we get a sterile empty environment.

Police station - you hear all the fighting, you find bodies but the action is always "just around the corner".

In the nightclub we get some people running around, others injured - the devs clearly thought about it but couldn't implement it in the other levels.

So most levels are like 28 days later...disappointing.

Even MP1 felt less sterile with druggies curled up on the floor inside the toilets shaking!! Used to love the way they screamed when you empty a shot gun into them!

Last edited by a moderator: