ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Max Power Club of the Year

Boys and Girls,

This is getting really sad. Its amazing that you all think yourselves so superior to anyone who buys Max Power that you give the impression that Clios are soooo above being related to that Magazine, that seeing a Clio featured in Max Power is a damnation from hell.

Please do not forget that bar a V6 Clio, the most expensive 172 new is no more than £16K. Take into account age and depreciation and 99% of Clios then fall into the price bracket of the age group targeted by Max Power. So please try not to kid yourself that a Clio is something it aint!!! I started off the Subaru Impreza Drivers Club (SIDC) in 1996 and for a time, people were real enthusiasts who were just happy to have their cars understood by the masses. As the club grew with Impreza sales taking off in the late 90s, you mainly got tw*ts who thought they were gods, they were the best and only wanted to be associated with people who owned TVRs, Porsches and Ferraris. They could not see themselves associated with anything "percieved" lower. So when Imprezas got cheap and became attainable by younger people, who were also car enthusiasts but approached car enthusiasm from a different perspective, they were all horrified and took on the same snobby attitude as people on this board are starting to take on by the looks of some of these posts.

I am lucky to have a brand new Carrera 996 along with my other cars and I would not dream of procrastinating against people who subscribe to Max Power or that "pervcieved lifestyle". I read Max Power and know a lot of people who read Max Power and have not really found one a**e hole among them. They all seem to be enjoying themselves, love their cars, appreciate other peoples (you lot dont) and are really more informed about technical aspects of Cars than you lot seem to think.

How many people have attended one of the Max Live shows over the past few years. I remember people arranging meeting-up points this year even. Have those people been banished from the club???

Look, everyone has their opinion and is entitled to it, that is whats great about democracy, but please also take an open-mind view when professing an opinion. A club is about enthusiasts who have a common interest. This club is about Clios. People who read Max Power are also those people who love Clios, so please do not aleniate yourself from this group of people.

As you all get older, you will all move away from Clios at some point (greater income, family, responsibilities, evolution of interests etc) and your places will be taken by those "now grown up" 15 year old Max readers if ClioSport is to survive, so your short term views may not meet the long term needs of this club.

Just my opinion,

172CUP

hey guys! - a new publication has just been announced by future publishing that i think you would allreally wanna get featured i, its called:

Standard Cars And Warranty Lovers, for old people

this mag never ever features a car that deviates away from what you can get away with under warranty , and i know how you guys love that, and whats more it doesnt feature cars like ferraris etc, it features really powerfull cars like clio cups and 172s.

the only bodywork you will see in this publication is that of the fully clothed butt ugly mares that they have on display - phwoooooarrrr!

in conclusion - there are many who like max, are young cant afford the insurance/running costs of fast cars and should not be thought any less of because of this - if you seriously think that any publicity forthe club isnotgood publicitythen...

....well i dunno

rant over

BSNC

http://www.woah.co.ukwww.woah.co.uk

Created a little heated debat eh?

LOL

Move away from my clio! bah never!

People who have welcomed the dicission are not all 172 owners with warranty claims!

Ex Clio, BMW 120d sport

at the end of the day, if it wasnt for mags such as maxxy p and revs, then companys such as Renault probably wouldnt make cars such as the 172, cup and v6. they know damn well that alot of the buyers of the magazine cant afford to buy or insure these cars, but it creates a hell of a good image for the rest of their clio range, which us youngsters can afford to buy and run.

i bought my clio cos i liked the fact that renault bother making these models, and had a proven hot hatch record in previous clio 16vs and willys, and perceived there would still be some of the engineering in my model.

Just makes me even more glad my membership was not renewed!

Believing yourselves to be better than all others! Humm reminds me of the saxosportsclub which you all seem to dispise (sp), all that would of happened with this article is the readers who you all hate would have just skipped over it and onto the next scantily clad female, but for the clio owners who did not know about the club they would have taken note and joined up, but it seems the attitude is all wrong.

I am with Glenn, Alex, 172CUP, Daz, Vic etc Cliosport.net seems to think its on a higher plain. There are many nice members, but many who judge far too quickly.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by bigtommy on 25 September 2003

at the end of the day, if it wasnt for mags such as maxxy p and revs, then companys such as Renault probably wouldnt make cars such as the 172, cup and v6.
Err...

Mags like Max P/Revs/Fast Car/etc... have only been around for the past few years, yet there have been hot hatches and performance models for a very long time now, without the need for these kind of mags!

Think of all those classics that there have been and no need for Max P!

i think all people are trying to say is they dont want us to be swamped with members like that lad with the pink nova on britains worst drivers. brain dead tasteless and exactly the reason why we all get looked down upon by insuance companies and the police. they throw us all into the same catagory. i dont think its a superiority thing and i know to some point it comes down to taste in styling etc but i think what we are trying to avoid is a club/board full of f*ckwits, im not saying the whole of maxpowers readership is like this but its far from an intelligent read, full of tits and pictures of people sending in pictures of their car flat out in top gear on the public roads. its the lad/moron culture that it seems to nuture that i think everyone is afraid of turning the forum into a place where we have complete nobs bringing down the reputation of the club

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by 172loony on 25 September 2003

i think all people are trying to say is they dont want us to be swamped with members like that lad with the pink nova on britains worst drivers. brain dead tasteless and exactly the reason why we all get looked down upon by insuance companies and the police. they throw us all into the same catagory. i dont think its a superiority thing and i know to some point it comes down to taste in styling etc but i think what we are trying to avoid is a club/board full of f*ckwits, im not saying the whole of maxpowers readership is like this but its far from an intelligent read, full of tits and pictures of people sending in pictures of their car flat out in top gear on the public roads. its the lad/moron culture that it seems to nuture that i think everyone is afraid of turning the forum into a place where we have complete nobs bringing down the reputation of the club
I agree with that mate...

well wot form of advertsiing dont do that!

fair does we advertise at Car shows but its mainly modders that go there so that all ur gettin!

stickers on the bak of our cars rude boys see em and join up!

there is no real way of avoidin it but if everyone wants to stay in the dark then fair does, wot can the these rude boys do to the forum apart from ask questions which is wot wrre here for!

its not like that can physically do ne thing! if ur worried bout em comin to meets then section off the meets so only members can view em!

Cliosport will now be known as the club whose too good for anyone else coz as im a 18 yr old wit a modded RT it must be too good for me!

Mk2 Golf GTI

i doubt this club would win anyway, not because its sh*t (which it aint!) but its not the sort of thing that would win in a lads mag. its gonna go to a club such as one of the cruise websites that have loads of different cars.

Also, if people are so bothered about rude boys joining the club, shouldnt some remove the clubs contact info from redline magazine. Not all people who read these mags are t**sers, before i read redline i had never heard of ClioSport, RSC or RTOC but thanks to that mag i did and now have useful sources for information as well as a good place for a general chat. this was just what i was lookin gor and thanks to redline i found this club!

Quote: Originally posted by 172Cup on 25 September 2003

This is getting really sad. Its amazing that you all think yourselves so superior to anyone who buys Max Power that you give the impression that Clios are soooo above being related to that Magazine, that seeing a Clio featured in Max Power is a damnation from hell.
Where does it say that we all think ourselves superior?? Put as many Clio’s as you want in Max Power, I really couldnt care less. And I cant see what your point is about the price of a Clio, the whole aim of the car is that it is good value for what you get!?

What I dont want is to be part of a club that is associated with the Max Power image, its not the cars, I love modded cars!!!

its the whole Max Power created persona that sucks, its not a case of being open or closed minded, if anything Max Power is narrow minded in the way it promotes loutish behaviour.

People on here who read the mag have shown that they are not that easily influenced by the mag but a lot of people are and as its already been pointed out that bloke on Britain’s worst driver is typical of what Max Powers image is all about.

Abarth 595 Trufeo

When I read GTi Girls thread, the first thought that entered my head was

"What an excellent way of promoting the site/forum/club for free",

We all know advertising is very expensive & I can imagine it costs quite a bit to advertise in mags like Maxpower, they must sell 1000s of mags a month.

Anyway heres how I look at it - if we won...

We could get:

More revenue for the club from new members - so the club can continue to do bigger & better things.

Promotion for the club for free.

Increase our member base.

Possibly secure additional members benefits.

Have a more varied club environment.

Have more members situated around the UK, offering a wealth of experience & knowledge.

I dont personally read Maxpower - I have in the past and I do agree with some of you that they do appear to target themselves at the younger male generation but is this really a bad thing.

We all started somewhere be it a mini, fiesta or a Clio and I bet you have all done things to & in your cars that now wouldnt enter your minds.

So why do we feel it necessary to alienate these potential members – it is my understanding that the club was started for all Clio owners, be it a modified 1.2, a standard dci or a v6, without prejudice.

If you felt that you didn’t want to be associated with Maxpower, then you didn’t have to vote.

Helen

Quote: Originally posted by night.icon on 23 September 2003
Good beer guide !!!!!!!

best one so far

sums up how many of us???

CTR EK9 turbo

Is it bad to own a standard car? this sites not all about modding them, is it? some people cant afford/dont want to and thats why they might buy a car like the 172/willy.... My car is standard pretty much, it seems im in the wrong reading some of these pro-maxpower posts.

Folks like to keep willys standard for example.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

i often read max power but that doesnt make me a boyracer or someone who wheres burberry hats or tucks my socks into my trackies!

ive lowered my willy but i wouldnt dream of doing anything else to it!!

This is supposed to be a club for clio enthusiasts!!!!! i dont really see the problem in entering the max power comp!!!

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

But were we not advertising ourselves in such places like donny south, trax etc......????

***NOTE TO JAS***

UPDATE OF CLIOSPORT HOME PAGE REQUIRED.......

"ClioSport is a dedicated Clio club. The club is run by Clio enthusiasts for Clio enthusiasts, and is open to anyone."

........except readers of Max Power who are clearly all burbery cap wearing louts with no taste!! We dont want their type here!!

I find it hard to believe how narrow minded some of you people are!! :cry:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Simon172 on 26 September 2003

Folks like to keep willys standard for example.
Thats becuase its a crime to ruin a classic car!

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Maybe if people expressed their wishes on the first thread, we wouldnt be at this stage? The club can only progess with member feedback, and quite often its too little, too late. I cant make all the decisions all the time, and expect to please everybody now can i?

Revels Mum & Sister

I agree that the image that Max Power Promotes is one of doing burnouts. Lets see what we can get out of our cars flat out. And the kinda people to take that challenge our the 17 year old lads who have passed there test. And have no experience. And before anyone says I am not saying that older driver is safer at those speeds, but the majority will think about it and think no maybe not.

I dont have anything agaisnt modified cars. But it will attract some new peopkle which is good but also attract w**kers and people who will register and post useless crap and insult/cause arguments as has happened before.

If someone wants to modify there car fine by me! Some do look good. Its just you ask most people what they think or know about MAx power. BOY RACER pops into mind. Driving round stereo flat out and Bean tin exhaust on a nova! NOT everyone thinks this but most do.

I think some people have taken the post the wrong way and are going of on a tangent!!

As Jas said bit too late now should have done something about it before!

we have had quite a few feature cars in there from cliosport tho and this hasnt caused a problem so whats the difference??

I havent read the last 3 pages, but, why not get in contact with Evo mag and tell them about our club? They always seem to have a 172 or Cup as a fleet car and 99.9% of the time they have a good thing to say about it. Why not tell them about the club and the benefits of being a member.

I personally think that a feature in Fast Car could be a detriment to the club, but, I would still be a member. I would just choose not to partake in any Modded sections. It wouldnt stop me talking to the guys and girls in other threads though.

Paul

why cant the ppl interested in modded cars do it and the others just not take part? then surely everyone gets what they want or am i missin somat?

vix :)

williams and trophy

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 25 September 2003

Quote: Originally posted by bigtommy on 25 September 2003

at the end of the day, if it wasnt for mags such as maxxy p and revs, then companys such as Renault probably wouldnt make cars such as the 172, cup and v6.
Err...

Mags like Max P/Revs/Fast Car/etc... have only been around for the past few years, yet there have been hot hatches and performance models for a very long time now, without the need for these kind of mags!

Think of all those classics that there have been and no need for Max P!

hehe yeah but then there was always good old CCC and MINIWORLD etc.

its a good idea in that the club needs advertising...........which could also be done with more effort from members turning up to events etc.

and a bad idea in the kind of members it will attract............altho they can be saved from the plastic kit hoooooooooooooj rims n zorsts belief of Lax Power and be brought into the REAL world of modifying cars thru knowledged members

Mk2 Golf GTI

why not enter the comp, get more publicity and make a members only section for the forum. a lot of the so called mailto: w@nkers "> w@nkers would probably not want to pay for this extra feature so would just stay out here in the free bit. leaving other members who dont want the arguements to post in peace. if someone does cause trouble all the time just block them, if they keep signing up and do the same, block them again until they get bored. And as i said before, i dont see this as the sort of club to win in a magazine that caters for stand out like a sore thumb cars

A well built VW

We all get tarred with the same brush as soon as you change any part of your car to non standard even just a set of wheels even if you are the wrong side of 30.

I would have though the opportunity of free advertising to a broad spectrum of readers (they cant all be to**ers) would be a good thing and could see the club move forward.

I am fairly new to this site and have been very impressed with it so far (chqs in the post for membership honest guv) everyones got a n opinion whether you agree with it or not the points raised are still valid like someone said put it to a vote for members