ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Maxsport RB5 tyres .... will they fit?

I can't get my normal sprint tyres so I am thinking about trying Maxsport RB5 in soft compound. The RB5 size is slightly larger than my normal ones ... They are 205 x 55 x15 whilst my old ones (VR2s) are 195 x 50 x 15. My wheels are speedline 2118s with et 43.
I like the idea of a bit more soft rubber on the track but will they fit without rubbing or the need for spacers? Any thoughts gratefully accepted.....

Avon ZZS are unbelievable as a soft mate and only £99 a piece in 195 50 15 last time i looked.

Thanks .... I've tried ZZRs and ZZSs on the Caterham - I have to say I wasn't that impressed. Perhaps they perform better on a heavier car?
My normal tyres in the Clio are Extreme VR2s remould in soft compound, usually about £85 delivered - but they only have new carcass option in the UK at the moment at £115 delivered.

Last edited:

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
I get the feeling the remould versions are going to become a thing of the past to be fair, I ordered two new front tyres last week in the NK's.
Personally I'd just pay the extra for the new carcess ones they are the best tyre out there on the 1B list for Hillclimbing.
Rich

I get the feeling the remould versions are going to become a thing of the past to be fair, I ordered two new front tyres last week in the NK's.
Personally I'd just pay the extra for the new carcess ones they are the best tyre out there on the 1B list for Hillclimbing.
Rich

Hi Rich - as you say the Extreme VR2s 'are the best tyre out there on the 1B list for Hillclimbing'. Its just that going from £85 per tyre to £115 is quite a hike. But I'm having second thoughts on the Maxsport RB5s as I know they are not as soft as the VR2s - guess I'll just pay up for a set of NK VR2s.
G

I don't think NK are 1b listed though, just the retread
No - the NK version are also List 1B .... Extreme tyres published a letter of confirmation from the MSA on Facebook.
But I agree that its rather strange as they don't carry an EU tyre label .... you know the sort of label that grades rolling resistance, wet weather performance and noise levels.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
They must of done a U turn Graham, this is reply I got in December

Date: 19 December 2017 at 11:23:16 GMT
To: **************
Subject: RE: Extreme VR2 tyre clarification

Dear ***********
Only the VR2 retread has met the criteria to be included on List 1B. The other tyre you refer to is I understand the NK series, this is a different tyre and is not currently listed and thus not permitted where there is a regulatory requirement to use a listed tyre.

I hope this clarifies.

Best Regards
cid:image001.png@01D378BB.EBC32A90

Michael Duncan

Technical Manager

Motor Sports Association, Riverside Park, Colnbrook, SL3 0HG

T: +44 (0)1753 ****** | M: +44 (0)7824 *** *** |

cid:image002.jpg@01D378BB.EBC32A90
@msauk
cid:image003.jpg@01D378BB.EBC32A90
/msauk | www.msauk.org

The Royal Automobile Club Motor Sports Association Limited, trading as Motor Sports Association.

Registered in England and Wales 1344829. For full email disclaimer, please click here.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
To give a bit of clarification the NK's are still a remould tyre as they just use brand new tyres remove the tread and then apply their own reinforced sidewalls and tread.
Rich

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
You beat me to it Graham lol was just about to post that myself.
If you're on Facebook go on a Extreme Tyres page and drop them a message you can buy them direct from them.
Rich