ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mayo buildup

Albi 197
Hi, Noticed today that I have a buildup of mayo in the oil filler cap.

I do on average about 30 miles per day (generally take for a good blast at weekends also)
Just wondering if this is normal? and if theres anything that can be done.
Doesn't seem to be losing coolant.

Took these photo's a few days ago, but checked again today and it seems a lot worse.

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

Albi 197
I've cleaned most of it up today, so i'll check it again over the next few days :)

Thanks for your reply's.

Megane 225
Looks perfectly normal for those engines! Especially with it being colder these days! If you start losing coolant, then panic. If not, drive on!!

i did have this problem with mine, however its not neccessarily a problem. there can be build up to a head gasket failure which obviously is very serious but this 'mayo' can be also be cuased by condensation, short journeys and cold weather, which would make sense at this time of year

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Clean it out, drive on the motorway for 40 minutes, check it again.

If its clean its not the headgasket.

(If it breaks down in a flurry of white smoke and burning metal, its the headgasket.)

Albi 197
Thanks for your reply's.

Just seemed a bit odd to me, as none of my old cars did it (including a Clio 1.2 8v)

But if its normal, then that's all I wanted to know! :)

172 ph1
wouldnt worry about it my dads always said you will get it from not using the car enough but....i did get this on my 1.2 clio i can remember!

just dont worry until you see alot of white smoke from your exhaust lol

Albi 197
wouldnt worry about it my dads always said you will get it from not using the car enough but....i did get this on my 1.2 clio i can remember!

just dont worry until you see alot of white smoke from your exhaust lol

There is quite a lot of white stuff coming out of exhaust when it's cold, goes away when its warmed up though. :)