ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MBP Updates today.

Citroen DS3 DSport
15% for education.

AppleCare is free if ordered online via a university network or reduced price if bought in a Apple Store. I think I paid £50 for AppleCare. Things may have changed though in the last year.

Titanium 182
sneeks said:
15% for education.

AppleCare is free if ordered online via a university network or reduced price if bought in a Apple Store. I think I paid £50 for AppleCare. Things may have changed though in the last year.
Cheers. Will go on campus to order I look exactly like a student. :rasp: I've got his pc login and everything. Win.

Does anyone know if there are there different discount rates between Colleges and Universities? Or are they the same regardless of which one you go to?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Wow they have got expensive :(

Wondering if they'll be off loading the pre-update models at discounted rates lol!?

Megane
I don't think students get free apple care! I always bought mine at a heavily discounted rate, the uni discount for machines varies but is around 15% give or take 5%.

You get about 66% off the apple care from what i remember

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
May have to get one of these, mine is getting old now :approve:

the police get a discount of about 3% LOL

You sure, through the company I work for I get the same discounts a student does on apple stuff.

Yeah, but £100 is different to £300! Lol.

Get the best you can afford. You need a big screen because your fringe takes up half your field of vision <3

SchwepTek™
Yeah, but £100 is different to £300! Lol.

Get the best you can afford. You need a big screen because your fringe takes up half your field of vision <3

Lol had to get it cut off now I have a real job. :( haha

i'll see what happens when I go to the apple store in Southampton saturday.

dk

911 GTS Cab
so thought about a new 13" mbp, but the processors aren't that good, i then saw the new sony z series, with i7 with a 13" screen and quad ssd drives, wow!

Go cry to your momma!
Yeah but they don't run osx =P

I've gone for the new 13" - taking ages for apple to ship it :(

Been using windows for over a month now, badtimes..

Titanium 182
Why'd you go for the 13" out of interest mot ?

I want an i5 15" with the uprated display next month :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
What's the difference in the displays, there's 3 isn't there. Is the antiglare not glossy or something? Anyone know?

Titanium 182
antiglare is like a matt screen apparently a hell of a lot better. Has a higher resolution too, was going to get the faster i5 for £200 more but I'd rather have the screen I think.

SchwepTek™
Bought my sexy new 15" MBP today. :D

Ended up going for the 2.53ghz i5. Cheers Revels... ;)

Last edited:
  Go cry to your momma!
Aluco, you can get the high res in anti glare or glossy..

It's all about where you're going to be using the laptop.

SchwepTek™
Im not terribly impressed with the graphics auto switching.

You dont actually know if its selecting the right one. Graphics seem to be a bit jerky and not as smooth as i was expecting in games as well as basic OSX visualisations? Any ideas?

Other than that, i love it, super quick at loading apps, the 15" screen seems to produce much more vibrant colours sat next to my old 13" MBP?

Titanium 182
Which games are you on about mate ? will be using games on mine so would like to hear about that aspect more ?

SchwepTek™
Well i bought Need for Speed: Carbon so i have a decent racing game for when im working offshore and i've also got COD modern warfare 1 and 2. Maybe i'm expecting too much and turned the settings up too high, i need to have a play around.

C&C3 and Age of Empires 3 run fine on it as expected.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The nice people at the Apple store replaced the lid and screen enclosure of my 11 month old 13" MBP yesterday after I had found a rogue bit of dirt magically appear under the glass in the centre of the screen. Cracking Apple customer service as always.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Im not terribly impressed with the graphics auto switching.

You dont actually know if its selecting the right one. Graphics seem to be a bit jerky and not as smooth as i was expecting in games as well as basic OSX visualisations? Any ideas?

Other than that, i love it, super quick at loading apps, the 15" screen seems to produce much more vibrant colours sat next to my old 13" MBP?

I'm pretty sure you can override the automatic graphics switching in system preferences. Try setting it to use the GT 330M exclusively and see if it's any better. Worse case scenario you can manually switch between the graphics adapters until Apple inevitably release an update that fixes it.

SchwepTek™
Ahhh yeh u can turn auto switching off in the power saver settings. But it then defaults to the dedicated graphics and u cant choose the intel hd integrated chip.

Will see how much difference it makes!

DMS

A thirsty 172
I'm sure there's a way of choosing which graphics adapter it defaults to. I haven't had a play with anything running 10.6.2 yet though so can't tell you where to look. I'd have thought it'd be under display properties if anywhere?

SchwepTek™
Nothing there dude! :(

Looks like its auto switching or dedicated graphics only!

Not really a biggy, cant tell much difference between either when doing basic stuff!

SchwepTek™
Had more of a play and it runs everything pretty smoothly but im not so sure about the intel hd graphics. Scrolling websites and expose, etc doesnt seem to be as "fluid" as id like!