ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Me Clio 172

Megane Diesel / 172
This is my ‘work in progress’ thread for my 172. I previously have owned a Mk1 16v and Mk2 182 fresh from the factory. My last car, an E46 M3, came to a sad end via a rather large stone wall (rear wheel drive and wet roads do not mix!).

View attachment 60893

Believe it or not this was a write off and after receiving the insurance money and paying off the M3 I needed a fairly cheap car with good mpg (M3 was 20 mpg average) that would put a smile on my face, not having owned a Clio for a few years I looked around at various other manufacturers and options but came back to my senses and bought this average condition 172 for £1,700 with FSH and good tax and MOT with the plan being to have it as road going car for a while and then track it. Bargain……

View attachment 60894

There were some problems with 172 in that the brakes needed replacing and the rear offside suspension strut was leaking all manner of s**te onto the drive. But this I saw as an opportunity and soon MTEC Grooved & Dimpled Discs and Pads all round and the KTec Coilover Kit were ordered.

View attachment 60895

Whilst I was waiting for the parts to come I realised that really the alloys could do with a refurb and armed with my power sander and some Graphite Grey paint set about the wheels, I know that the 17” wheels don’t go down well with the purists but I thought that once they were grey and the car lowered they would look much better and that I will eventually ditch them when the time comes for the track fun to begin.

Whilst I was on the wheels I colour coded the door bullets

View attachment 60896View attachment 60897View attachment 60898

Finished the wheels but the car still looks like a 4x4 172 so the discs and coliovers came next.

View attachment 60899View attachment 60900
View attachment 60901

This was the first set-up – a tad LOW, have set higher and currently waiting for the coliovers to settle and get it all set up properly then the next stage will be getting some decent tyres for it, cleaning up the engine bay and replacing the Rocket Launcher of an exhaust!! (Scorpion 4” currently hanging out the back waiting for small rodents to nest in it at night).

View attachment 60891View attachment 60892

All comments will be welcomed and I have pretty thick skin and I like how the car looks so don’t hold back…..

Last edited: