ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Measurements required F7P throttle body

BMW 320d Sport

Anyone here got an F7P lump or inlet manifold sitting around in the shed? I need to get a measurement for the circumference of the throttle body, the egg shaped bit where the airbox bolts onto. And its too wet to go out and take it all apart at the moment?

So if you can get a bit of string and measure it, that would be appreciated...its been too long with one induction system so Im ready to go for the next step!

First I had the airbox and Renault filter, then K&N induction kit, the the K&N with a heatshield, then the Hill Power kit, then the airbox with a K&N element, now Im ready to go for a BMC carbon airbox so got to sort out what sort of Samco hose Ill need to hook it up to the throttle body.

BMW 320d Sport

Not convinced about throttle bodies at the moment. 2.0 power sounds a better proposition and Im not really a roar kind of guy - I prefer the stealth approach! :)

dont bother with polished as its has detrimental effects on fuel suspension and turbulance boundary layers.

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah I was more interested in the bigger bore really, wonder if it would have a decent effect or maybe work in the opposite way?

Anyway Ive had the airbox out and cleaned the K&N while I was there. These are the measurements for anyone else thinking of doing a BMC on their 16v.

The throttle body has a narrow flange (that you could just about jubilee clip a bit of samco hose onto) which as a circle would have a perimeter of 82mm. Then you need to buy a Samco 90 degree bend/83mm diameter with the shortest legs you can get (63mm). They will need to be trimmed even shorter I think.

For a 1.8 or 2.0 engine you need the bigger bodied airbox which is 150mm in diameter. This will fit pointing downwards between the battery and the throttle body but there is only abou 200mm of depth to use, so a standard 150mm dia x 200mm long box will be no good once you try and get the pipework onto it.

The BMC people say that the Clio 172 carbon box kit is 150mm wide but only 160mm long. Thats perfect for the space that you have in a 16v/WIlly; the bottom (inlet) port will fit straight onto the Renault air feed pipe, the top port (outlet) will fit to the piece of Samco hose and then round to the throttle body.

The only problem will be if the 172 kit does not have 85mm inlet and outlet ports.

Anyone here with a 172 BMC carbon box know what the diameters are for the inlet and outlet?
Simon?

BMW 320d Sport

which end is which? And how come its 70 and 80? Are they the diameters of the standard Renault pipes going in and out of the box?

I really need 85mm on both ends but 70 inlet and 80mm outlet would be ok. Just not the other way round.

Its 80mm inlet as in cold feed end 70mm engine side. Im 99% sure its 70 anyway (anyone care to confirm) but it is def 100% 80mm inlet. Ive had mine apart to clean the filter and I dont think there is any reason that you cant put the filter in the other way round though and use the 80mm engine side if thats what you need. It is standard size for a 172 engine side yes. Got mine from evolution in benfleet. He did mine and Simons for £300 the pair.

Nick its 80 mm which is connected to my ram scoop taking in the Air from the outside world. 70 mm connects to the throttle body.

Cheers,

Si

save your money and use the orginal airbox. remove the existing tubing, and use some tumble drier(100mm diamter tubing) running from the front of the car to the airbox. the main concern with this approach is "lag" and rubbish throttle response. this is compensated with the largish airbox the valver has. ive had mine fitted for over a year now, and it rocks!!!

the best bit is 80mph on the motorway. put ur foot down in 5th, and it really pulls. u cna actually accelerate quite hard now uphill from 70mph in 5th. amazing. ive also enhanced it now as well. i bought a drainage downpipe collector from homebase. i stuck this inside the frotn grill on my valver, and connected the hosin to this. even more air is rammed itno the airbox now! way better than any induction kit non-sense(bin there done that!LOL)

BMW 320d Sport

ALright Jimbo, how you doing mate? Anyway glad to hear you went for the drain hopper and tumble dryer hose idea! Remember that theres not so much room for all that whacko plumbing in a Clio engine bay...

I had thought of chopping up my airbox and going for a bigger inlet, but Im restricted by lack of space to route the pipework, so next step must be to increase the efficiency of the airbox itself. Detailed inspections of my K&N element and the swirl marks inside the airbox show that the bottom corner of the element is doing most of the filtering work and the rest of the element doesnt do much. With the Carbon airbox, the air is being fed into it end on so the full radius of the cone is being utilised and it seems to be a more direct path. Once it comes out of the box, then its a simple 90 degree bend into the throttle body.

Im sure itll work!

Nick,

How you gonna secure the airbox in place, or will the hoses be stiff enough?

Also, how you gonna get the 90 degree Samco hose round the throttle bodie, it aint round is it?

Cheers, Simon.

BMW 320d Sport

If the hose doesnt hold it in place Ill make up a bracket. Anyway, the carbon fibre wont weigh too much. The throttle body is egg shaped but I worked out that if the perimeter was actually circular it would be 82mm diameter. So a bit of 83mm Samco hose will deform to fit the egg shape.