ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Media Center People - What's a good product to get

E39 530i
I've got loads of my movies (avi, vob's, mkv) which are all loaded on external hard drive. I dont have a tv which can take usb drive or anything like that, so want to get some sort of media center which I can view directly from my tv using a remote.

any ideas guys

Rav4
WD live is a good tool, I bought one for my mum, she doesn't use it as she does not have a clue, but they are superb.

Additionally, you could get yourself a NAS or build one, such as a NL40, and install Plex/XBMC on it.

Alternatively, convert all movies to mp4 and use iTunes/Apple TV,

Thanks,

G :D

Bus w**ker
Jailbroke ATV2...although they're at a premium now.

Currently I'm still using my 360 to stream directly from my NAS (which I need to upgrade) only thing is won't play is MKV files, think my PS3 can but that would mean actually plugging that in. If/when they jailbreak ATV3 I'll grab one of those.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I'm using an Apple TV3, with Plex media server running on my PC (located in the loft) I airplay from the iPad/iPhone to the Apple tv using the Plex app.

Once playing you can use the remote for play/pause etc. Sometime i'll convert to MP4 and run through itunes, depends how much of a rush i'm in!.

WD Live.

Don't bother with a Pi - too early stages and playback isn't that good if I'm honest. I also wouldn't go in with the Apple stigma, it will do what you want, but you'll also require a PC to play the stuff anyway (iirc).

Bus w**ker
I'm using an Apple TV3, with Plex media server running on my PC (located in the loft) I airplay from the iPad/iPhone to the Apple tv using the Plex app.

Once playing you can use the remote for play/pause etc. Sometime i'll convert to MP4 and run through itunes, depends how much of a rush i'm in!.

I thought you could only use Plex with ATV if it was JB? If that's not the case then I'll order one now as I'll not have to worry about transcoding from my NAS.

Rav4
I thought you could only use Plex with ATV if it was JB? If that's not the case then I'll order one now as I'll not have to worry about transcoding from my NAS.

That's if you want Plex to run natively on the ATV.

He is using airplay via his plex app running on his iphone/ipad to play to his ATV

Rav4
Oh. Then in that case I'll sit and wait for ATV3 to be jailbroke...still.

Agreed. I think it's great that you can have Plex installed on the iPhone/iPad and use AirPlay, but not for every single movie and everything. Better off with the JailBroken ATV3 when it becomes possible or maybe the next iOS version for it, will include Apps. I think this is feasible considering the addition of the bluetooth keyboard and mouse...........

Cupra
I have the WDTV Live Hub and an Apple TV3. Both get used for different things.

The WDTV Live Hub is handy if you want a stand alone media player with 1TB of space to put everything on. It also has a nice user interface. Downside is that you can only transfer stuff to it through the network and not with USB. Transfer speeds of 14MB/s mean (on a GB network) means that filling it will take a while.
Apple TV is great to use with the iPad/iPhone and Plex running on a PC/Server with an iTunes server too.

E39 530i
Someone pointed me in the direction of xbmc. Anyone on here running on? Is XBMC the OS or does it sit on the OS?

Clio 172
My setup:

Plex media server runs on my NL100 micro server, with all my content installed on that.

I either plug my PC into the TV when I wana watch full HD (micro servers will suffer with transcoding that), or use my roku XS to watch anything else.

The roku is great for me, you get the plex app on it and it all works great. Plus has vevo and I player on it.

I installed the IPlayer/4od/itv player on my plex server, and can watch all that on my roku. Aswell as a, questionable, channel that can let me watch any films/TV show.

E39 530i
Guess that setup works for you, but I would want something with the media os built directly onto it, rather than loaded on an os.

i run a windows home server (HP media smart) , with a dedicated silverstone cased media PC under the TV .

we then have small linksys dma2100 extenders on the tv's elsewhere in the house .

the server has remote access so as long as i have decent internet connection i can just watch my stuff wherever i am , including on my phone now i have 4g .

All my TV is automated via TV torrents and we have been running this system for years and works very well .

Only drawback we now have is the fact there is little or no support for windows media centre any more as the product has been ditched by Microsoft

View attachment 92408

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
WD Live.

Don't bother with a Pi - too early stages and playback isn't that good if I'm honest. I also wouldn't go in with the Apple stigma, it will do what you want, but you'll also require a PC to play the stuff anyway (iirc).

raspberry pi runs xbmc absolutely flawlessly.... very high bitrate 1080p with hd audio runs perfect... the pi is actually smoother than an apple tv now, apple airplay etc all work great too. Plus it costs next to nothing and can do a hell of a lot more.

raspberry pi runs xbmc absolutely flawlessly.... very high bitrate 1080p with hd audio runs perfect... the pi is actually smoother than an apple tv now, apple airplay etc all work great too. Plus it costs next to nothing and can do a hell of a lot more.

only draw back with xbmc for us is live and recorded tv ...... or does it support tuner cards now ?

our issue is meadia centre isn't being supported any more and are looking for something new !!

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
only draw back with xbmc for us is live and recorded tv ...... or does it support tuner cards now ?

our issue is meadia centre isn't being supported any more and are looking for something new !!

yes raspbmc supports live tv/pvr straight out of the box and you can control it all with your tv's remote as it supports cec.

Harvsurry, so whats your setup then if you don't mind sharing? Any pictures?

Will take some pics later as not at home but this is what we run

Quad cord media pc in silverstone case , blackgold tunner cards giving 4 freeview hd and 2 freesat hd tuners .... samsung led panel with freebiew hd and freesat hd tuners .

Media fed from hp mediasmart server ex495 with 4 2tb drives ...

Squeezeserver for music linked to several logitec booms ....

Sony amp linked to media pc running kef se3005 speakers would like an onkyo with network capability to make music easier

Then dma2100 linksys media extenders by each tv that away from the lounge thus via windows media centre software we have access to all media everywhere

House cabled with gigabit network ...but hd runs ok on powerline if you get the higest speed ones

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
My setup is pretty basic but works for what I need it to do... got a Linux box (old dual-core laptop) doing 1080p transcoding over DLNA to the PlayStation3. It's able to cope with transcoding 1080p over 100mbit Ethernet too.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I run a Windows 7 WMC server (6-cores, 4-DVB-T tuner, 2 DVB-S2 tuners, 6TB storage) hidden away, and use Xbox's as the front end at my various tv locations. This give me the benefit of W7MC + I get Netflix, lovefilm all the on-demand services that the xbox has to offer. Of course, you can use dedicated WMC extenders as well, but they don't support the on-demand services that a xbox does. Second hand Xbox's can be had for less than £50 now as well which is great :) also you can use couchpotato to control the W7MC from your phone (i.e. remotely set a program to record whilst your out, or even watch stuff from your W7MC whilst on the move).

Rav4
I run a Windows 7 WMC server (6-cores, 4-DVB-T tuner, 2 DVB-S2 tuners, 6TB storage) hidden away, and use Xbox's as the front end at my various tv locations. This give me the benefit of W7MC + I get Netflix, lovefilm all the on-demand services that the xbox has to offer. Of course, you can use dedicated WMC extenders as well, but they don't support the on-demand services that a xbox does. Second hand Xbox's can be had for less than £50 now as well which is great :) also you can use couchpotato to control the W7MC from your phone (i.e. remotely set a program to record whilst your out, or even watch stuff from your W7MC whilst on the move).

Pics of setup please? Would be cool :)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
cineroom4small.jpg

I use couchpotatoe to as handy if I want to record while out .... our samsung has netflicks love film etc but never use it as I dont need the movies that are there .... they are all to old ....... and xboxes are noisy !!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Looks good but can you show it in detail please?

not sure what you want to see? the server is in a cupboard out of sight (it looks like what you would expect, a tower computer in a cupboard with many cables, not very attractive) and the front end is an xbox..?

DCi
i built a pc with what i assume is a netbook mobo (no fans so silent and can be left on to record/download stuff all the time.)

i run windows 7 and windows media centre on it, also itunes runs in the background so i can use the remote app to quickly play music. i also have a usb remote control/usb tv card etc.

i store all my media on a NAS which i will upgrade to something with more than 1 disk so i dont have to have a back up on my pc

E39 530i
Ah just read its the frontend client version. Ideally I wanted it to be the client \ server version in one. Still amazing news though

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I've just been using a PS3 + NAS combo and it's been working fine.

I tend to convert things to mp4 anyway so I can load up the ipad when away.

Might rethink things when we move, get the house cabled up as it's being built etc.