ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Meet Mia The Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Just done a little research into the product, by the looks of it, the sheet is a solid gel like meterial, to which you print special ink onto.

The way it is transferred is by placing in water ( hence the hydro ) to soften the meterial up to a nearly gel like material, then the activator is a glue of some sort to in which modifies the gel molecular structure making the ink and it's self transferable.

The ink is the ' set ' to the painted part via activator glue stuff you spray on. Rising after is to get rid of remaining parts of the gel sheet.

Very science geeky stuff, LOVE science haha

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Just done a little research into the product, by the looks of it, the sheet is a solid gel like meterial, to which you print special ink onto.

The way it is transferred is by placing in water ( hence the hydro ) to soften the meterial up to a nearly gel like material, then the activator is a glue of some sort to in which modifies the gel molecular structure making the ink and it's self transferable.

The ink is the ' set ' to the painted part via activator glue stuff you spray on. Rising after is to get rid of remaining parts of the gel sheet.

Very science geeky stuff, LOVE science haha

Dont worry, I love stuff like that as well. I think its then clear coated to give a 2pac glossy finish :)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Dont worry, I love stuff like that as well. I think its then clear coated to give a 2pac glossy finish :)

Yes indeed, well it's your choice for glossy or not, they do a satin clear finish aswell.

2pac clear 3-4 coats will give it reall depth and no worries if you lightly scratch It, enough top layers to compound back without the worry of damaging the transfered image.

Whats your aims, to do it yourself or get a company to do it?

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Yes indeed, well it's your choice for glossy or not, they do a satin clear finish aswell.

2pac clear 3-4 coats will give it reall depth and no worries if you lightly scratch It, enough top layers to compound back without the worry of damaging the transfered image.

Whats your aims, to do it yourself or get a company to do it?

A company, Stuff like that I'm gonna leave to professionals. I may try it on the interior bits, but not the bumpers. :)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Ah , fair play. It seems easy enough, until the 40degree angle bit lol. No way trying to ballance a bumper at that angle.

Dash binicals will be the best bit to do at home, kitchen sink FTW! :D

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Ah , fair play. It seems easy enough, until the 40degree angle bit lol. No way trying to ballance a bumper at that angle.

Dash binicals will be the best bit to do at home, kitchen sink FTW! :D

Aha, So right! Even if I end up not using them They'll sell quickly :p

Monaco 172
Had a few minis in the past so if you need any help give uz a shout.

here's my last project - Barry

101_1331.jpg

Key areas I always fine go first are around the fresh air vents behind the dash and near the rear subframe mounts

Rob

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Had a few minis in the past so if you need any help give uz a shout.

here's my last project - Barry

101_1331.jpg

Key areas I always fine go first are around the fresh air vents behind the dash and near the rear subframe mounts

Rob

One benefit of mine is the subframe mounts and boot floor is solid. Going to weld up the three holes in the bottom of the battery tray. They we're only their for jig alignment in the factory and all they do is let water in a promote rust and a fucked up batter :p.

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Right well I'm still saving up for all the body panels. I'd rather buy them all in one hit then buy bits and bobs at a time.

So to give you all your Mini fix. Here's some pictures, I took on the weekend and this morning on the way to college.

5e6d8805.jpg

3f67662e.jpg

856b6eb9.jpg

They we're all edited on Snapseed for iPhone on the train :p

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
4-Pots have been added to my list.

8.4" discs with vented 4-pot alloy callipers.

Need to pick a colour. I'm thinking gold :p

e91 330d/type r mini
You need to stop talking this car and actually start doing something;-)
so far you have given it a wash and polished your steering wheel lol.
Get some work done lol

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
You need to stop talking this car and actually start doing something;-)
so far you have given it a wash and polished your steering wheel lol.
Get some work done lol

No point starting, until I have a) Enough money to buy all the panels B) a welder.

I have however found and fixed the earlier mentioned air leak, Inlet manifold wasn't actually bolted on :DOH:

And I won't start until I have a full plan of exactly what I want and need otherwise i'll drift of and start spending all my money on shiny things.

e91 330d/type r mini
No point starting, until I have a) Enough money to buy all the panels B) a welder.

I have however found and fixed the earlier mentioned air leak, Inlet manifold wasn't actually bolted on :DOH:

And I won't start until I have a full plan of exactly what I want and need otherwise i'll drift of and start spending all my money on shiny things.
dont worry about a plan, i started mine and just whinged it from there and it turned out alright (well at least i think i have ) fibreglass panels are a good option as it saves weight and no chance of rust coming back at a later date.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I don't think i'd be able to resist taking it apart tbh,
even without any money i'd have probably dismantled it by now,
then put it back together just to see how it's all works.

Decent socket set, a load of spanners, torque wrench, haynes manual
and that would be my spare time sorted. :approve:

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
I don't think i'd be able to resist taking it apart tbh,
even without any money i'd have probably dismantled it by now,
then put it back together just to see how it's all works.

Decent socket set, a load of spanners, torque wrench, haynes manual
and that would be my spare time sorted. :approve:

So would I, but Its on a driveway in London. Chances are its gonna get nicked. :p. I wan't to be meticulous with this it all has to be planned out properly and I dont wan't to start anything and leave it half done. and theres no point starting anything until I've raised enough funds to make it into a solid shell. I'll take donations :p

Dad's just landed a new freelance business deal and he said considering he paid for my sisters clio outright that he would help me with the money. I have about 30 job applications to post tomorrow. :p

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Tis fair enough, I put them in that way first but then realised that couldn't be correct, and switched them around aha.

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Going to save up my pennies and rent a trailer to take it to college and weld up the tin hole on the front. Save up for an MOT and get some insurance and give it a blast up and down the roads to get a idea of what engine wise work it needs.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Wouldn't it just be better to just take the engine out, strip it down, replace all the gaskets and seals, then put it back together?

Good way to learn how it all works.

Or are you just trying to get a working road car you can slowly restore and tinker with?

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Because of my budget, I can't see the point spending on things that may not be needed. More slowly restore and tinker with.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Fair enough I can understand that.

Tbh if I was 17/18 again, i'd get an old Mini as a first car,
even a 1275 engine is going to be a hell of a lot cheaper to insure than most other cars.

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Fair enough I can understand that.

Tbh if I was 17/18 again, i'd get an old Mini as a first car,
even a 1275 engine is going to be a hell of a lot cheaper to insure than most other cars.

Completely correct.

Fully Comp with all the mods listed and me as a main driver (When I'm 17) was quoted £1750.

That seems ridiculous but when you look at the cost to insure me on a 1.2 MK2 PH2 Clio. £5000 - in the same setup, fully comp main driver.

Walked into a garage yesterday and asked for a Job and they said they'd give me a ring within the week. So money should be coming in finally. :ThumbsUp:

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
If anyone has any recommendations on where to get panels? I'm buying Genuine Panels, they may be more expensive but they'll last a whole lot longer and fit a whole lot better.

All these are referenced to Mini Spares.

ScreenShot2012-10-07at170954_zps82360597.png

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Long Time no update :O

No progress body work wise as I have been busy with school work and failing a BMW apprenticeship interview LOL.

However, I have since, Drained all the oil and re-filled with 20w/50 I then set about the carb rebuild; The carb has been taken apart cleaned in a parafin parts washer at college, re assembled with new needles/jets/gaskets and filters and is running better than ever; the inlet manifold gasket has been replaced and the carpets come out.

I am now waiting for panels to be welded on in college in January. Atm I'm building a Go-Kart at college so my time is a tad occupied with assembling the drive train. For those who are interested its a Lawn Mower engine, that I have attatched what is essentially a bike chain and sprockets onto a solid rear beam axle with a centrifugal clutch from a moped and a chain tensioner that I am making atm.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Jesus I thought you were dead!!!

Hopefully all going well work/money wise, i'll have my project Mini up and running by next summer. :approve:

Status
Not open for further replies.