ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane 225 - Anybody getting one

Just had a brochure through in the post and are tempted by the looks and the perfomance figures...then there is the price £19,500 does anyone think this is a little steep? You could pick up a used scooby for that money on a 52 plate!

hmm cant turn ESP/traction off.. not good for track use or getting outa shape, but on MotorsTV when they reviewd it, the engine sounded nice and meaty + nice turbo whistle when revving. Exhaust is not discreet actually sounds very nice and sporty, more than say a 225 twin exit TT. :cool:

however scoobys are common but there still very good.

You can pick up UK main dealer brand new Scoobies for under 19k. Six month old cars are nearer to 17k.

The megane does seem a little on the high side, but it depends on the discount you can get ?

I might consider one as well.

Jonathan

Tappd'd RS

It is a few grand dearer than the Leon Cupra R or Civic Type-R but I think its intention is to appeal to a slightly different market. IMO is more of a fast saloon that a hot hatch. Like cliotuRS says, you cant turn off the ESP etc so its not really meant for track day action.

The stats are very impressive still - the CTR will have its worries with one of them as will many of the "Hot Hatches"

I considered waiting for it, but it was over my budget :(

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Im sorry?

Why dont you tell me what i can buy next then, strange comment mate.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Id rather have the Scooby. And I agree with what you guys have said, its not really a hot hatch.

Clio v6

Im considering one.

New Mégane Sport Hatch
Renaultsport 225
£ 23,050.00

( some extras of course )

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

My Renault mate has had one on order for ages and it should be arriving next week hopefully!

Guess whos already lined up to borrow it?! ;)

Ziel Nurburgring

the 200 bhp clio is going to be on the new micra floorpan, meaning its going to be tiny. If thats the case, 200bhp is a little bit too much in a car that small. Probably wrong though....

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 02 April 2004

the 200 bhp clio is going to be on the new micra floorpan, meaning its going to be tiny. If thats the case, 200bhp is a little bit too much in a car that small. Probably wrong though....
PLATFORM! not floorpan. (big diff)

Besides the micra is not small in comparison.

Plus the 200bhp turbo is the stuff of rumour. but it seems like a likely choice.

i got my 172 from motorpoint with cdchanger + CAT1 installed + loads of other stuff tax wise etc.. £12 53reg. Its a great car and i havent had any warenty problems whatsoever with it being an import.. now.. go check out how much a brand new subaru impreza wrx is on their site.. £16699 brand new.. now add £1500 fitted for the PPP upgrade including breaks ECU, styling, spoiler etc.. to take it up to some serious BHP and speeds i think its about 280+bhp.. thats £18199 for STI speeds handling and saving a few thousand in the proccess..

i know what id have common or not !

:cool:

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 02 April 2004

Im sorry?

Why dont you tell me what i can buy next then, strange comment mate.

nah just dint think youd be considering another car so soon after buying a 182 and being so happy with it thats all. dont really think its too much of a strange comment but there you g o...

Read something in Car magazine about a Cup version of the 225 megane. Apparently the first version out has non-switchable traction control (well, it turns on automatically above 30mph)

Tappd'd RS

ooo - cup megane, interesting!

225bhp 2ltr turbo and lightweight - mouthwatering! :) Hope the big boy has ABS tho!

UK WRX PPPs are only 260 bhp where you only get revised exhaust and ecu. yea sorry 260bhp... sigh anyways the point is thats gonna be fair few thousand quid less. Also in standard form it will beat a meganeRS (maybe not in safety) or at least keep dead even up to 100 (wrx willbeat it to sixty though) and its insurance group 19.

isnt the meganeRS grp20 insurance ???

+ it isnt as reliable....... oh well you get the boring point, but i had to make it for some perspective on pricing. if it were £17500-18K on motorpoint (which it may well be when it comes out) then id consider it deffo, even then its a stretch. bit like the V6 is to high at 27K ! thats certainly not as fast as STI although it does have a rareity value.. but @ that price the V6 has to be some special and IMO its just not @ that price. id sooo love one.

Quote: Originally posted by cliotuRS on 02 April 2004

UK WRX PPPs are only 260 bhp where you only get revised exhaust and ecu. yea sorry 260bhp... sigh anyways the point is thats gonna be fair few thousand quid less. Also in standard form it will beat a meganeRS (maybe not in safety) or at least keep dead even up to 100 (wrx willbeat it to sixty though) and its insurance group 19.

isnt the meganeRS grp20 insurance ???

+ it isnt as reliable....... oh well you get the boring point, but i had to make it for some perspective on pricing. if it were £17500-18K on motorpoint (which it may well be when it comes out) then id consider it deffo, even then its a stretch. bit like the V6 is to high at 27K ! thats certainly not as fast as STI although it does have a rareity value.. but @ that price the V6 has to be some special and IMO its just not @ that price. id sooo love one.
From what I have read about the megane (I know its the same as driving it) it blasts the focus in a straight line but the handling is no where near as good.

Quote: Originally posted by cliotuRS on 02 April 2004

i got my 172 from motorpoint with cdchanger + CAT1 installed + loads of other stuff tax wise etc.. £12 53reg. Its a great car and i havent had any warenty problems whatsoever with it being an import.. now.. go check out how much a brand new subaru impreza wrx is on their site.. £16699 brand new.. now add £1500 fitted for the PPP upgrade including breaks ECU, styling, spoiler etc.. to take it up to some serious BHP and speeds i think its about 280+bhp.. thats £18199 for STI speeds handling and saving a few thousand in the proccess..

i know what id have common or not !

:cool:
Be careful though - Subaru dealers can be particularly awkward about imports (almost to the point of breaking the law). Apparently, its difficult enough to get them to service an import and will not fit a PPP to an import. PPP is ECU and exhaust only (removing 1 cat), everything else extra. A friend has been down this road. Seriously tempting price though.

Megane has far nicer ibterior IMO.

My 172 is an import too - no probs with renault whatsoever on that front.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 02 April 2004

All new cars from a certain date have to have ABS as standard!
Do they?

As far as i know thats incorrect.

All new trucks/tractors/buses etc... have to now but cars is still optional.

Unless i have missed something.

Clio v6

There is also the point that a Megane looks interesting, and the Subaru is just a big blobb on wheels. Park a Subaru in Basildon and you wont know which car is yours.

I dont care if a car does 0-60 in 2 seconds, if its pig ugly, I would rather take the bus.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by James on 02 April 2004

There is also the point that a Megane looks interesting, and the Subaru is just a big blobb on wheels. Park a Subaru in Basildon and you wont know which car is yours.

I dont care if a car does 0-60 in 2 seconds, if its pig ugly, I would rather take the bus.
Quote of the day!

Remapped derv Golf

PLATFORM! not floorpan. (big diff)

Besides the micra is not small in comparison.

Plus the 200bhp turbo is the stuff of rumour. but it seems like a likely choice.
Nothing wrong with Micras! Cousins one has done K reg has done 180,000, has never gone wrong and starts on the button after 1 month of sitting still. How much french cars can claim that.

Plus the new micra isnt tiny! Nikki at work has one and it looks massive next to the cup.

Quote: Originally posted by James on 02 April 2004

Quote of the day!
True, the subaru is ugly as sin, but I fail to see how a clio or megane is interesting !

C4 Grand Picasso

There isnt a lot of difference between the new Micra and the current Clio.

Specs taken from Parkers:

Clio Hatchback (01 on): L:381cm W:163cm H:141cm

Micra Hatchback (03 on): L:371cm W:166cm H:254cm
[/QUOTE]
Im sure that the current Clio could handle 18bhp more, so the next gen Clio definately could.

Ziel Nurburgring

Clio Hatchback (01 on): L:381cm W:163cm H:141cm

Micra Hatchback (03 on): L:371cm W:166cm H:254cm
Im sure that the current Clio could handle 18bhp more, so the next gen Clio definately could.

[/QUOTE]
Thats a tall car!

Maybe its the styling, it just looks a smaller car. And i never said the current clio couldnt handle 18bhp extra. As far as i am aware there are some on here with nearly 40 bhp (Is my maths correct- Roamers@ 212)!

Clio 197

I would not get one. It is sort of an orphan with no real pedigree. At least the 2.0 Sports are used in Rallying and on the track in several classes.

If you are going to go for a turbo 2 litre it should be for either the Scooby or Evo. Nothing else comes close.

I saw the Megane today and what struck me was the tail pipes. Look like they belong on a Ferrari, not a Renault!