ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane 225 gear lever issue

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Hope its ok to post on here about a megane but I'm assuming there's some knowledge in here for them

I have an issue where the gearstick on my megane 225 sticks between 1-2nd in neutral and is difficult to get 3rd or 4th

Seems like a common issue, does anyone know what I need to replace to fix this? Links or any traders who can sort out what I need?

Any help appreciated

Rich 😊

20200921_160151.jpg

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Is it quite stuff to go left and right when in neutral?
It pretty stiff yea, and as I said it like centres itself between 1st and second gear so is hard to work out where 3rd/4th are

1st/2nd and 5th/6th are ok to find

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
The white plastic bush needs reaming out as mentioned. Happend on my brother's 225 years ago.

Need to pop the selector out the top of the box and then remove the c clip type thing off the end and slide the rod out.

I'll see if I can find the pics I took from years back.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
The white plastic bush needs reaming out as mentioned. Happend on my brother's 225 years ago.

Need to pop the selector out the top of the box and then remove the c clip type thing off the end and slide the rod out.

I'll see if I can find the pics I took from years back.
Yes please mate, that would be much appreciated. I'd like to get an idea of what I need to do before taking things apart 🙂

Doesnt sound like I need to replace anything then

Rich

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Yes please mate, that would be much appreciated. I'd like to get an idea of what I need to do before taking things apart 🙂

Doesnt sound like I need to replace anything then

Rich

Can see the white sleeve here

IMG_1767_zpsa7526f3e.jpg

IMG_1764_zpsb378c6e7.jpg

There's a 13mm bolt that is in the side of the box which pins the selector in. It's sort of under the gearbox mount area, if you have a feel around should find it. You'll need a ratchet spanner to do it.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
So remove this circlip thing, push the pin through and clean up the inside of the bush and refit? Is that correct?
20210120_180153.jpg

Thanks for your help

Rich

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Had to this on my R26 box I put into my clio. Made it much nicer. Mine wouldn't centre properly, would just stay to the left. 3rd gear was the worst to select.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Yeah haha guess how I found out? Definitely nothing to do with my first post hahahahaha.... 😁🤣🤣🤣

😂

Been years since I've done one, but could have sworn it was a 13mm.

14mm is such an odd size on them, can usually do the whole car with 10, 13, 17, 19mm 😂

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
😂

Been years since I've done one, but could have sworn it was a 13mm.

14mm is such an odd size on them, can usually do the whole car with 10, 13, 17, 19mm 😂
Exactly why it threw me off too. 150% a 14mm on them all as I've removed about 6 of them now 😂

Must have something to do with it being a spring ball on the end of the bolt as it's not a standard bolt.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Sorry to drag up an old one. The Megane 225 decided to sack off 5th, 6th and reverse. All was working fine but since getting the car I have noticed that it never liked centring so I reamed the bush and this helped but didn't solve the throwing issue.

if you imagine the gearbox is in nurtural, from centre to left (1st & 2nd) the throw seems fine. from centre to right (5th & 6th) there is very little lateral movement, and when driving going from 4th to 5th feels as though it's in a straight line (I've never managed to miss 5th and get 3rd). After taking the car out and trying to select reverse it feels as though it simply won't go over far enough now and hits the max travel, lift the collar for reverse and then try reverse I get 4th?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to drag up an old one. The Megane 225 decided to sack off 5th, 6th and reverse. All was working fine but since getting the car I have noticed that it never liked centring so I reamed the bush and this helped but didn't solve the throwing issue.

if you imagine the gearbox is in nurtural, from centre to left (1st & 2nd) the throw seems fine. from centre to right (5th & 6th) there is very little lateral movement, and when driving going from 4th to 5th feels as though it's in a straight line (I've never managed to miss 5th and get 3rd). After taking the car out and trying to select reverse it feels as though it simply won't go over far enough now and hits the max travel, lift the collar for reverse and then try reverse I get 4th?
Has it got a short shifter fitted?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
The side to side cable is adjustable to a degree at the selector end, did you move it when taking the cables off to ream the selector bush.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
@Tubbs Vice @Brigsy
Yes, engine dynamics short shifter fitted.

When fitted the box was dropped as having the clutch done and removed the selector and worked on a bench and reinstalled and then put the box back in the car. The throw felt the very same after the box was put back in and cables were removed from the box end, not the gear stick end.

Selector end, as in the gearbox selector or the gear stick selector?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Selector end as in the gearbox end. The side to side cable has adjustment, if you pop the clip off you can get a few mm adjustment either way.

Its worth checking the cable to make sure its moving ok, not kinked or damaged somehow restricting movement. Also if in doubt pop the gear cable off the selector and check you can get the gears ok manually moving it.

Instructions to check gear cable settings
Screenshot_20221114_150304_Chrome.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I fucked on with the trophy cable adjustment as the gearchange is a bit off and it still does not seem bob on. When i pull the box out to fit the new clutch ill prob change the cables. Ive got a new bush from cooksport too as ive reamed it out but still not the best.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thanks, I'm 99% I can select manually by operating the selector by hand. I suspect it is a chuffed cable. Moving the stick right towards the diver does it push or pull the cable? I'm taking a guess it pushes. Also, I think this has been the issue all along and the cable has now given up as the shift never felt right from the day I got the car. Just glad it happened when I was an hour away from home and not in Germany!! Somehow, I don't think the adjustment is going to be much use as it feels like it needs a lot of adjustment.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
So from Centre to left throw it pull the selector. Centre to right the selector arm doesn’t move at all, then lifted the collar and moved it right even more and the selector didn’t move. So I’m calling that a f***ed cable! Moving the stick up and down the selector is moving with positive throws. I guess the only test to do is manually select 5th and 6th but I’m concluding it’s the cable that’s decided to rip up its ticket and call it a a day…

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Id be fairly confident that the cable is at fault from that diagnosis however id defo pop the cable off the selector and manually move the arm to confirm that it will move in that direction, as i have seen the ndo's break and lose a gear or two for whatever reason.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I will do that tomorrow at work and confirm 100%. If for some reason the gearbox did decide to s*** itself would I not hear it in the box?

Also are these the bushes you got from cooksport @Brigsy ?

E638B84D-E45B-4F93-ABF8-AFDDBC8BB810.jpeg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
They are indeed the bushes, not fitted mine yet.

My mate had similar happen to a ndo and it drove ok just lost a gear or two.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
They are indeed the bushes, not fitted mine yet.

My mate had similar happen to a ndo and it drove ok just lost a gear or two.
I’m sure when I was messing around Sunday morning I was pull and pushing the selector fork but will give it another go tomorrow to double check, I didn’t remove the cable but I was moving the selectors around.

Just for future knowledge, how do you remove the cable, pull it off or is there a clip?

Also don’t suppose you know if any guides to changing the cables over, much needs to be removed etc?