ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane 225 into a clio

2015 Audi S3 Stage 3
i have been thinking about this idea for a while now

it would be a long term project

would this be possible to fit the meg 225 engine into the clio?

is it not just a 172 turbo?

how much do these engines cost from a scrappy?

i drive a deisel so all tubes etc.. will have to be replaced

any other ideas? or just stick in a 172 and turbo it?

engines are hard to come by, so expensive, its a VERY tight fit, and lots of custom bits involved, so expensive, and its not just a turbo'd 172 engine. Personally, I would say sell your car and buy a 172/182.

Fred is doing this conversion at the moment

172 cup TT
You'll probably not do it fella when you find out whats involved AND cost.. I think Fred's kinda got everything at his finger tips i.e: All the equipment, contacts and knowledge to do it on his own(ish)... and to him its been a project for a little while.. look into it though mate, would be great to see but think if you are considering an engine swap most people would advise to go the VAG route..

2015 Audi S3 Stage 3
cheers lads

if you know my car there has already been alot done to it bar the engine and im getting a bit fed up with the "slowness" but with most modified owners its hard to let go of your car for something faster lol

ill check it out! :D

Megane Trophy
I was thinking exactly this last night
I reckon you would see better gains and cheaper to do a DIY turbo conversion.
BB charge what 6k, I think that can be done for half the price.
A friend of mine has just turbocharged his civic vti, using a 1.8 bottom end, garret t3 turbo, custom manifold, mapable management

total cost was £1600 for parts and he did the work himself

will be running 10psi and he hops for 250+ bhp

so using that knowledge im sure you could do the same with the 172

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
You can Turbo any car for considetably less than 6k!!!! You just have to have the balls to go through with it.

Just bear in mind that you'll ned to change the pistons to get a lower compression ratio ( otherwise you'll blow the engine out after 1k ).
You'll also need to upgrade the clutch and change the gearbox that is rated at 170 lbs. Fred is fitting a NDO box on his car, and I'm not even sure it wil be strong enough ( rated at 220 lbs ).
You'll also need to get a good LSD differencial fitted, and change the wheel shafts.

Megane Trophy
olin said:
Just bear in mind that you'll ned to change the pistons to get a lower compression ratio ( otherwise you'll blow the engine out after 1k ).
You'll also need to upgrade the clutch and change the gearbox that is rated at 170 lbs. Fred is fitting a NDO box on his car, and I'm not even sure it wil be strong enough ( rated at 220 lbs ).
You'll also need to get a good LSD differencial fitted, and change the wheel shafts.

Arrow rods and some nice JE pistons would be my choice.
Clutch and different gearbox internals would do the job easily enough, Quaiffe ATB diff,

Easily do all that under 3k
emerald management to run it all, thats £750 mapped

clio 200 F4Rt
i am starting to look into doint a megane 225 conversion, tho tracking down an engine isnt easy!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
think the problem with the 225 is the size of the gearbox, doesnt fit. i think this is the problem fred was trying to solve, dont know if he did or found a way to get it in

Give it 10 years and it will be more feasable.

Look at the Calibras/Corsas/Novas etc

The C20LET 2 litre turbo engine was expensive and almost unheard of to fit it into a Corsa, but now it's common practice ;)

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
I love turbo cars , but i really think turbocharging the Clio will ruin the whole point of the car.

Ive seen many cheap conversions on various engines and none of them were worth the effort over normal n/a methods.

I think 6k is a very reasonable amount of money to expect to spend to do it properly and make it worth while, infact i still think thats a cheap conversion.

Megane Trophy
Seriosuly Paul, I could sell my car for what 6.5k and then the 6k, thats 12.5k mm thats almost scooby P1 territory!
4x4 turbocharged car with near on 300bhp thats from factory

I know which one i would prefer.

And as RCBUK says - give it time the conversion will be cheaper. Still to put a C20LET into a corsa the proper way your talking about 3-4k realistically and that will give you 280bhp

Its not the best idea the VAG engine is a much better route to go the engines good for 270hp with stock turbo etc. There kits out there to get you to 350hp with stock internals and over 450hp if you've feeling rich the box is better built its a better sized plus LSD's are cheaper to come by. Ok so its custom mounts, ECU is stand along with the appropriate costs but a Megan engine is a pain as well as you'll need a 172 ECU remapped or a stand along ECU plus its still custom mounts the box is poor and big
Matt Black has some of these Megan engines for sale though if you want though I think there the laguna one ie no VVT though but i could be wrong he probably has a few of each.
Last time I spoke to Fred he's spent almost as much as a VAG had cost in parts and he got some real bargins and he still had some way to go before he's even taken the engine out.
Its just not efficient tunning the engine best buy a Scoobie etc but then again thats not quite as individual. Plus a well built turbo engined Clio will be quicker than a Scoobie when there rolling possibly not far short from a standing start.
£6k is what the tunners ask for 172 conversions and there not that good the gearbox on Renault arn't famous for there strenght and stonger Renaul boxes are bigger.
Get a 172 conversion if you want its good value £1.5k+vat for the bits suspension brakes engine gearbox basically the whole front end then you have to fit it which is a apin but still can be done in 20hrs ore less if you know what your doing (Matt Black did one in under 16 hours I think) but then again its still only as quick as a 172 (although you will get some more power due to the way the conversion is done).

Megane Trophy
How will you get more power, surely if your just putting that same engine into the same car, unless the manifold is changed then where does that power increase come from!

Vag engines yes, 1,8 20v turbo but its not a renault.
Personally i always want a car with a engine from that brand the car is made by.
Otherwise you may as well just buy a seat leon cupra r, golf mk3 and convert engine as thats what the engine looks right in.

Throttle bodies, head work, cams, (dta,emerald) manangement, atb diff, clutch, thats what £2500k for that lot and should see not far off the power of the megane surely? Im sure power to weight ratio wise it wouldnt be far off. And gearbox, what exactly is it that isnt very strong on them?

bradfincham said:
How will you get more power, surely if your just putting that same engine into the same car, unless the manifold is changed then where does that power increase come from!

Vag engines yes, 1,8 20v turbo but its not a renault.

Throttle bodies, head work, cams, (dta,emerald) manangement, atb diff, clutch, thats what £2500k for that lot and should see not far off the power of the megane surely? Im sure power to weight ratio wise it wouldnt be far off. And gearbox, what exactly is it that isnt very strong on them?
The 172 convseriosn run the electric rack so theres less load on the engine since it doesn't run the hydrolic pump (it was 5hp on the Mk1 cars loss)
VAG is the better engine for tunning and strenght wise.
Throttle bodies £3.2k Maybe £2.5 using other bits cheaper ecu etc.
Head work £500
Cams £500 say
Clutch and diff £1k plus fitment say £1.5k
Total power about 222hp (there a 172 using there bits at that level)

The gerboxes on all Renault arn't amazing usually the slecters and syncros break the VAGS have been tessted to high HP and torque levels nooen realy played with the Renault as here enough trouble as standard.

Megane Trophy
What bodies is that using?
jenveys are £1k, clutch is £300, diff easily sort that for £500
management is 1k maximum,

222bhp is a bloody good power increase, thats 50bhp up, much the same increase the c20xe vauxhall engine im very familiar with produces.

Im not having a moan eddy im just trying to widen my base of the clio engine etc, i know a fair bit about vauxhalls and also kit cars as thats my dads hobby/business.
He uses jenvey bodies, ZF adjustable lds, and emerald on all the cars hes built. Im sure they would build the parts for the clio at not much extra cost

172 cup'd extreme
edde said:
The 172 convseriosn run the electric rack so theres less load on the engine since it doesn't run the hydrolic pump (it was 5hp on the Mk1 cars loss)

are you on about the electric rack for the 172 convertion like 1.2 > 2 litre or the electric power steering that a megane sport has ?

clio 200 F4Rt
so is the megane engine the same as a 172/182 engine, just with a turbo bolted on (plus internal upgrades?) or is it a totally different unit?

would custom engine mounts be needed?

does a clio gearbox not fit onto this engine?

otherwise surely its just a case of a stand alone ECU, the megane engine, and not much more?

fmp_ said:
so is the megane engine the same as a 172/182 engine, just with a turbo bolted on (plus internal upgrades?) or is it a totally different unit?

would custom engine mounts be needed?

does a clio gearbox not fit onto this engine?

otherwise surely its just a case of a stand alone ECU, the megane engine, and not much more?

Completely different.

Only mouth which is the same is the offside mount and the dogbone.

Clio, dunno if it will fit, thats freds challenge.

FItting everything in is the biggest challenge :S

Ph1
What was the story with the turbo'd 172 engined Renault 5 which was posted about on here a while back ??

Anyone got any info on how they managed that and the costs involved ?