ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

megane 225 Vs clio 182

Hi guys and girls,

just been to renault to pick my 182 up from a check up with the brakes etc..

and i seen a 54 megane 225 3dr in inferno colour. price £15,995 (6.000 miles)

then i started thinking hmmmmmm, ask the sales guy how much he would give me for my 182 54 plate 13,000 miles, he came back with the figure 10150, which i was expecting.

now i wondering wether to go for it and go into debt for 5 more grand, or stick with my racing blue clio 182. is the 225 really any better or much faster.

please help decide.

many thanks

Elise/VX220/R26

If you want a car for pure speed stick with the 182, the megane is roughly the same pace in the real world and its not till liscence loosing speed that you would feel the benefit of the turbo and extra cog.

The 225 is a far better all rounder obviously but its not gonna be as balls out aggressive as the 182. I absolutely love mine, a joy to own and drive which although I loved my 172 I always had little niggles with it that annopyed me. The 225 for me anyway is just about perfect.

get over to www.meganesport.net and ask some of the guys on there

PS that price is too dear m8, I have heard of a brand new trophy been sold for 16 grand. That 54 plater should be maybe just over 15 grand

Yaris Hybrid

I am greatly disturbed by that geezer on here who was posting non-stop about getting his 225 and then once he got it things went a bit quiet and suddenly he bought a 182 again. I can see the logic behind the 225 but stories like that leave a nagging voice in the back of my mind.

Id have the meggy if I had a family. I think they are fantasitic looking machines. Id have to anthrecite the wheels though :)

I drove a Megane Trophy at the Brands trackday. It felt good through the corners and had more torque than the 182 but overall not as fun.

Its up to you. It is a very good fast family car if you need the extra size - otherwise stick with the Clio for the fun factor!

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 08 June 2005

Omar?
Yeah I think it was he. But then he was talking about getting another Megane recently but not being a big user of the forum I am not sure so wouldnt want to misrepresent him or anything.

It just made me wonder because he seemed really excited about the first Megane and I was shocked when he suddenly announced he was going back to a 182.

hi just wondering has any1 had a proper drive of a 225 yet? as i own snuftys old 2.0 valver and not starting a racing thread but i followed 1 to work the other morning and passed him?

now i know my car is quite nippy but i thought they would have been faster than it was having 225 bhp?

Lee

BMW M2C

I drove the 225 Trophy around Brands. Great car, obviously not as chuckable as the Clio but had a similar feel to it, something which I believe the standard car lacks. The steering was a bit on the light side and the engine/exhaust note was pretty much none existent, but other than that I couldnt fault it. Great looking, quick and fun.

There were points on the track where it was quicker than a 182 and others it wasnt. Theres very little in it.

Unless Omar gets F & F he must be losing the value of a 182 a year at the rate hes going. LOL Oms, if you read this can I suggest long term test drives? LOL

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

If they are similar in perfromance to a 182 till license losing speeds... Id say a 2.0 valver should kill it. hehe

Lee

BMW M2C

If I was in the market for something bigger and more practical Id certainly check out the Megane Trophy and Cup if the price was right. It would need to be a bargain though what with the new Focus ST and Astra VXR around later this year.

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 08 June 2005
If I was in the market for something bigger and more practical Id certainly check out the Megane Trophy and Cup if the price was right. It would need to be a bargain though what with the new Focus ST and Astra VXR around later this year.

Thats the thing about the megane, the VXR (definately) and the new focus (possibly) will be better than the 225 BUT they will both cost you at least 4 grand more. Thats where renault always win because you just cant touch them for the money.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Russ16v on 08 June 2005

lol hey martin hows the banana goin?
Sorry for off topic btw...

Yeah, its going fine...getting willy track/coilovers and polycarb windows in soon...looking to crack 13s at york on the 19th....got a good time last time out (in my profile) just need a biit more...lol

Clio 197

Heheee!

Omar isnt a chick! Hes a guy with hairy balls (just like real ones, only smaller)!

182: Great drivers car. Fantastic handling, and so so so much fun! Gets a bit noisy @ motorway speeds, and starts to lose punch.

225: Great cruiser - FAB for high miles. Comfy, quiet. Heavier and thus less chackable than a 182. Watch that fuel gauge and tyre tread.

ALL renaults have niggles... In fact, my 225 had more than my 182 ever had (luck of the draw).

Whatever you do, DO NOT go for standard 225 suspension - the cars handling will not match the power IMHO (I had a std 225 for 18000 miles, and I sort of got to know it).

Go trophy or cupped 225 - but unless you want more comfort/space theres absolutely no point.

PS The only reason Id swap, is if were doing more than 200 miles a day - which I might be with my new job, hence considering it.

:D

i would go for the megane personally ,both are awesome cars.if u like smaller cars stick with the clio .

Btw if anyone knows where to by a halved megane 225 please email me at mailto:aloxide@hotmail.com">aloxide@hotmail.com

Elise/VX220/R26

I have to sort of agree and disagree with omar! The 225 can have a serious petrol habit if you cain it (Ive seen 15 mpg) The standard one which I have is a little bit lardy compared to a 172 which I had before but I would say that saying the chassis cant handle it is a bit ott (maybe you had a dogey one??) Theres LOADS more grip than the 172 and less body roll.

I think its the power steering settings that can be a let down if your wanting something more track focussed as it is a bit heavy even at higher speeds. For me the improvement in torque makes it just as enjoyable to drive as the 172 but it just serves up the enjoyment in a different way

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by aloxide on 09 June 2005
&lt;FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6"&gt;i would go for the megane personally ,both are awesome cars.if u like smaller cars stick with the clio .&lt;FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6"&gt;Btw if anyone knows where to by a halved megane 225 please email me at <a href= "mailto:aloxide@hotmail.com">aloxide@hotmail.com

not quite sure what the second line means?

theres another post started by him stating he wants to cut a 225 megane in 2 and put the parts in his 1.4 megane!! pmsl. is he for real or what?

Quote: Originally posted by greer182 on 08 June 2005

Hi guys and girls,

just been to renault to pick my 182 up from a check up with the brakes etc..

and i seen a 54 megane 225 3dr in inferno colour. price £15,995 (6.000 miles)

then i started thinking hmmmmmm, ask the sales guy how much he would give me for my 182 54 plate 13,000 miles, he came back with the figure 10150, which i was expecting.

now i wondering wether to go for it and go into debt for 5 more grand, or stick with my racing blue clio 182. is the 225 really any better or much faster.

please help decide.

many thanks

How much did you buy your Clio for? If say you paid £12.5 or 13k for it new, then you trade it in for the Megane costing you an extra 5k then that means the Megane is kinda costing you in all £17.5-18k! Thats for a 54 plate megane with 6k on the clock. The sums just dont add up mate.