ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane 265 for daily duties

So I currently have a POS 172 I gave a grand for after buying a house last year and selling my 530D to save some cash. It’s seen many tip runs and generally I don’t care too much about it.

The 172 is my daily and I commute about 35 miles a day in it mostly dual carriageway. I’ve had a 172 cup and a 182 FF previous before I jumped to BMW and I generally enjoy having a mk2 in my life.

I’ve got an opportunity through work to buy a Megane 265 that’s coming in part ex at just shy of 10k, 2014 reg with 35k on it in black which I thinks a pretty good bargain.

Does anyone run one on a similar commute? I’m not too bothered about fuel costs as the 172 isn’t exactly economical but are they worth it in terms of fun factor? Outright speed doesn’t bother me but I love nothing more on a sunny drive home from work on Friday than having a little blast in the clio as it’s slow enough you can drive it close to the limit without being an idiot.

So I guess I’m looking for other people’s experiences of the Megane, what to expect fuel wise etc

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
What is the spec of the Megane? I had a RS 250 as my daily for nine months and did approx 50 miles a day, plus school runs, football runs, tip run(reluctantly!) I have a thread on here about it, but not sure how to link it.

In short I absolutely loved it. Had a few mods and was mapped to 321bhp. Only sold to fund a transporter camper as we use this for family holidays. I will definately buy another one. Yours should be the facelift, which I think looks really nice.

I managed 26mpg at best! Was worth it though!!

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
In all honesty I preferred my 172 for the reasons you said you like the 172. I just haven’t gelled with my 250 in the same way. You can drive the 172 on what feels like the limit but the 250/265, you’ve got to find where that is and you’ll be going a lot quicker too.

That said I’d miss the 250 for the performance and looks but would prefer a 172 also for the go kart factor.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Ran a 275 for 2 years as a daily and also loved it. Returned 30-35mpg.

It’s not a comfortable ride though. It was a cup chassis mind. My cup 172 was comfier. When pushing on though they’re an absolute weapon. I’d recommend one if you can deal with the tough suspension

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
They will do easy 35+ on a run, expect 400 from a tank with a few blasts. Best I seen was touching 500 e route to the Ring at 80 for most of it.

Cup can be a bit stiff at times but not back breaking. Get one that has all the options like climate etc, otherwise it feels a bit poverty

1.2 Dynamique
I've got a 265 and do a pretty much identical commute, get around 30mpg. I love it, doesn't have cup suspension and 19's though as I wanted a little more comfort.
I had more fun (also keen on a Friday blast home) in my old 182 though as the speed in the 265 is a little more effortless, so you can find yourself cracking along without realising.

265 deal seems good though, I paid 10k for a 62 plate on 45k.

1.2 Dynamique
^ just realised that undersells the driving aspect of the 265...i do enjoy it, just not as raw as the 182 - although that had exhaust, map and suspension mods.

Interesting to hear the variation in fuel costs, around town id expect it to be pretty bad but 30 on a daily motorway commute would be absolutely great.

Not bothered by comfort, think it’s cup packed so I’m prepared for that. I’ve only ever had one “comfy” car and I can take it or leave it. I’m going to see the spec when it lands but ideally I want cruise, climate etc as I do miss those.

1.2 Dynamique
I came from a z4 on run flats which was just horrific so wanted to try a comfy car. More than happy with the ride, but arch gaps are a little large!
Mpg wise I can get 37mpg max on a mway journey... M6, lots of 50 limits and no right foot fun. And yeah town is bad, mid 20s.
As others have said, give it a go... Doubt you'll lose money, I wouldn't like to think I've lost much on mine after a year.

Mines got cruise and climate control and is a fairly basic spec car, think they're standard are they not? Annoyingly cruise control can't be engaged in sport mode. If you go for a test drive, drive it in both modes as it's very different. Sport mode drinks more though, all my figures are normal mode with a Friday blast in sport, bar the odd few moments in sport mode.

I came from a z4 on run flats which was just horrific so wanted to try a comfy car. More than happy with the ride, but arch gaps are a little large!
Mpg wise I can get 37mpg max on a mway journey... M6, lots of 50 limits and no right foot fun. And yeah town is bad, mid 20s.
As others have said, give it a go... Doubt you'll lose money, I wouldn't like to think I've lost much on mine after a year.

Mines got cruise and climate control and is a fairly basic spec car, think they're standard are they not? Annoyingly cruise control can't be engaged in sport mode. If you go for a test drive, drive it in both modes as it's very different. Sport mode drinks more though, all my figures are normal mode with a Friday blast in sport, bar the odd few moments in sport mode.
Quite happy with that then, I rarely join but I do enjoy a blast now and then and the odd trackday/ring trip so it would be nice to have a daily that can offer some creature comforts as well as fun. Debated keeping the 172 alongside but honestly can’t see myself using it alongside a 265.

Won’t be landing at work for a few weeks yet but I’ll be sure to take it out for a blast before I make a decision on taking it. What’s the tax on them?

So the car has leather recaros which is a real bonus for me and some JL audio professionally installed 2 owners back so I’m going to take a punt on it ?
F0BEC60B-E96B-4B45-9ECA-435FF2581723.jpeg

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
You’ll love it mate. They handle superbly for their size. I bloody loved mine. The arch gap is horrendous as standard though lol

You’ll love it mate. They handle superbly for their size. I bloody loved mine. The arch gap is horrendous as standard though lol
I’ve got a very steep drive on the house so I can live with having a monster truck. I’ve had amg line c classes from work that won’t go down it so don’t want to take a chance by lowering it. My 172 has basically rubbed through the centre silencer ?

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I don't think you will miss the Clio! I always thought mine was like the Clio, but faster, handled on another level, more comfortable, more refined and sounds lovely with mid box chop.

If that is a facelift with cup pack and Recaros I don't think you can go too wrong. The standard stereo is seriously rubbish so real bonus it has the upgraded stuff.

I don't think you will miss the Clio! I always thought mine was like the Clio, but faster, handled on another level, more comfortable, more refined and sounds lovely with mid box chop.

If that is a facelift with cup pack and Recaros I don't think you can go too wrong. The standard stereo is seriously rubbish so real bonus it has the upgraded stuff.
Yeah it’s facelift with cup pack, so a good spec (I think). Looking forward to taking it out, it’s actually £9400 which is a steal really. I could shift it on in a year and probably make a grand or so

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The only other desirable option seems to be the RS Monitor. Looking at the interior picture it looks to have the sat nav. Pretty sure it will be the cheaper tax model too. Get some pics up once you get it.

The only other desirable option seems to be the RS Monitor. Looking at the interior picture it looks to have the sat nav. Pretty sure it will be the cheaper tax model too. Get some pics up once you get it.
Yeah it has nav apparently, does that work in favour for RS monitor? It wasn’t specced as an option.

Only thing it had for options is cup pack, space saver and metallic paint.

£230 a year tax I think!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I am assuming it is a Lux if Cup pack was an option. Recaros would have been an option too. Think all Lux had leather. Should have climate control, keyless entry and start, retractable mirrors if it is.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I’m curious as well. Has anyone gone from a boosted Clio to a Megane 275/265 as a daily?