ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane Engine

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Not many people will let anyone cut and re-section their chassis leg to clear the box though......christ, people still have a s**t-fit if you remove the slam panel or fit the wrong badge even

I aint to bothered, it won't be my everyday car that the work is being done on anyway (if it happens), as long has I can have a look at the work or I have done it myself then I wont have a problem. Danny you may get a phone call come winter time, don't think you are too far from me!

pah, I flared my mates arches with a massive hammer in a carpark on the way to germany because it had started to rub on big motorway bumps with all the extra stuff in the car

yeah hammers my favorite tool, they have shaped the sunshine bus many atime

I will remember to hide the hammers if either of you two come anywhere nearby!!!

On a more serious note, how feasible would the conversion be?

alien green rs133
i can see no flaws with doing it tbh i know someone with one in his valver, he cheated slightly but its megane stuff in there non the less.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
it's a good conversion IMO. give it a go. Matt black had a conversion available.

I have been following your project with interest, and from what I remember you had to do similar modification as a result of the VAG sump i think it was? When are you hoping to get it back on the road?

I can't afford to start the project till at least September at the earliest, think it will be more December time tbh! Will have started by graduate job by then which hopefully!

When/If it happens I am thinking:

Buy a cheap 172, aim for a ph2 but maybe a ph1. Obviously it doesn't need to have much history if any as engine will be coming out, would like it to be tidy looking but that's not a must (scruffy would make it more of a sleeper i guess!) Brakes and suspension condition wouldn't be to important as would be upgraded anyway.

Then I would be tempted to try and get a complete meg, hopefully written off with rear end damage. That would be ideal, then gut it for what I need/want and sell the rest as parts, maybe make a little money back. This might not be ideal though, need to look at prices first really.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
i can see no flaws with doing it tbh i know someone with one in his valver, he cheated slightly but its megane stuff in there non the less.

there is a lad over on c16v who has put the full com[plete in his williams.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
there is a lad over on c16v who has put the full com[plete in his williams.

I will have to have a chat, or a look at least. TBH i need to get my exams finished before I start relly looking into this :mad:. Then start making some serious money, then I can spend/waste (depending on how you see it) it all on this!

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
There is a lad who fitted one in a megane coupe and has used a combination of standard renault mounts for the top mount and gearbox mount.

There is also another lad who has a mk1 clio valver and hes fitted the crank, rods, pistons from a f4rt engine into a stock f4r bottom end. He's then fitted the f4rt cylinderhead along with the turbo manifold an inlet manifold. By using a f4r bottom end he's been able to stick with a jc5 box and the last time I spoke to him he was blown away at how much better it was than his last engine, a fully forged high comp engine running itb's.

It's easy to say "i'll just drop this 225 lump and gearbox in there" however there's plenty more headaches than just getting the gearbox to fit.

* megs run cable operated gear linkages
* megs have hydraulic clutches
* You will need custom driveshafts, how will you achieve this when it's undriveable in your garage?
* the meg and clio ecu's are different, so which one will you use for full engine control?

and there are many more complications.

In theory its a great idea, however unless you have plenty of cash and alot of engineering knowledge it's likely to turn into a nighmare.

ITB'd MK1
I'm helping a mate (if he ever starts on it) put one in his 19 16v. He wants to use the stock gearbox if we can, so we'll either get a 172 block and swap all the bits over, or drill and tap some holes in the block

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
There is a lad who fitted one in a megane coupe and has used a combination of standard renault mounts for the top mount and gearbox mount.

There is also another lad who has a mk1 clio valver and hes fitted the crank, rods, pistons from a f4rt engine into a stock f4r bottom end. He's then fitted the f4rt cylinderhead along with the turbo manifold an inlet manifold. By using a f4r bottom end he's been able to stick with a jc5 box and the last time I spoke to him he was blown away at how much better it was than his last engine, a fully forged high comp engine running itb's.

It's easy to say "i'll just drop this 225 lump and gearbox in there" however there's plenty more headaches than just getting the gearbox to fit.

* megs run cable operated gear linkages
* megs have hydraulic clutches
* You will need custom driveshafts, how will you achieve this when it's undriveable in your garage?
* the meg and clio ecu's are different, so which one will you use for full engine control?

and there are many more complications.

In theory its a great idea, however unless you have plenty of cash and alot of engineering knowledge it's likely to turn into a nighmare.

It will certainly be a challenge for me and I do wanna do as much of it myself as I can. I would have to look into all the possible problems you have pointed out (and the many others im sure there are) before starting and come up with solutions to them.

The ECU is one I could have a big problem with and would have to prob get a fair bit of advice from people on here etc... My initial reaction would be to use the megs, but then i'm not sure about the compatibility with the rest of the cars components. I suppose if I have a meg donor car it then becomes the question of how much of it do I keep and put on the clio. It could end up being a meg in a clio shell almost, if you get what I mean!!

With regards to the cash and engineering knowledge, I do not want to waste money, although some would argue this whole idea is a waste of money, but I think you get what I mean. I think a big part of combating over spending is a lot of planning and I hope to be on a fairly good wage. I will be working as an engineer in the automotive industry come September so hopefully I will have some knowledge, but it prob won't be very relevant! :S