ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane turbo and six speed conversion.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
So I have purchased a megane 225 engine, 6 speed box turbo etc from Mark, @getikte for my phase 1.
Mark's been very helpfull with all my questions.
My plan is to build a std looking car with good power, 6 speed box and some brembo's under the std oz f1's with the engine bay looking like it was fitted at the factory!

To start with I just want to build it with std sort of power and then take it from there. So anyone who's done it already, any tips they would or wouldn't do or if there's something they would have done differently. The best bits/parts they used?
I'm in no rush, so it may take a little while, but it has to be right!
I'll be going through @dann2707 thread as I know he has just done this.
anyone else in the know, any advice is greatly appreciated.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Any ideas on the dci pedal box I need?
I've seen one but it looks like a cable clutch.
I want to keep it oe looking rather than a seperate floor mounted pedalbox.

dan's cast offs.
not sure if you might be able to use one of the later clio hydraulic pedals though? got to look into it at some point.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Hey. What I learnt along the way and what I would do differently to what I did.

I would get a dci100 pedal box (rare as hell, I offered to buy some random guys dci 100 off him in the middle of the street i was that desperate) but also kangoo MPV pedal boxes are more common and fit. They have the same fitment and is the same part.

I would get custom driveshafts made up from berrisford for £400 all in. Less chance of snapping them.

I would get a custom downpipe and use a pug v6 master cylinder as it flips the brake lines on the other side away from the downpipe.

What I would really do would be sack off the megane downpipe and turbo altogether and fit a clio 172 turbo downpipe and turbo. as its nowhere near the brakes. I've wasted a lot of time on this car this year and nearly given up due to a lot of issues.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
not sure if you might be able to use one of the later clio hydraulic pedals though? got to look into it at some point.
Might be worth looking into, I did find an old thread where they modified the megane master onto the 172 pedal box?

Hey. What I learnt along the way and what I would do differently to what I did.

I would get a dci100 pedal box (rare as hell, I offered to buy some random guys dci 100 off him in the middle of the street i was that desperate) but also kangoo MPV pedal boxes are more common and fit. They have the same fitment and is the same part.

I would get custom driveshafts made up from berrisford for £400 all in. Less chance of snapping them.

I would get a custom downpipe and use a pug v6 master cylinder as it flips the brake lines on the other side away from the downpipe.

What I would really do would be sack off the megane downpipe and turbo altogether and fit a clio 172 turbo downpipe and turbo. as its nowhere near the brakes. I've wasted a lot of time on this car this year and nearly given up due to a lot of issues.

Thanks @dann2707 I'll look into making a downpipe, I can tig stainless and Ali so fabrication isn't a problem.
Might look into modifying the std pedal box to take the v6 clutch master cylinder
I'm going to take my time with it, I don't want huge amounts of power either.
We have competition halfshafts made for mg midgets, A40's and Morris minors so I'll ask if they can make any type of shaft?
Stick with it Dan, you'll get a huge amount of satisfaction when it all comes together and you can say I did that!

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
So I'm just gathering bits at the moment.
Ordered a peugeot v6 master cylinder.
Struggling with the pedalbox, just renaults said they had one then they didn't.

I know someone has adapted the megane clutch pedal to the clio pedalbox so I'm trying to get one as cheaply as possible incase it doesn't work.

Do you need the lower column for an epas conversion?

Is the efi parts turbo module good enough? I think 280bhp is more than enough in a road going clio?

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
full column for epas conversion.
Thanks, I thought so but It's always worth asking.
I also ordered a megane clutch pedal which was cheap so I'll have a look when I get them both next to each other.
What can I use for the pipe work or do I need the megane hose?

dan's cast offs.
Haven't got a clue on pipework but I'd say probably Clio dci or just make something out of braided.

M135i, 197 turbo
Thanks, I thought so but It's always worth asking.
I also ordered a megane clutch pedal which was cheap so I'll have a look when I get them both next to each other.
What can I use for the pipe work or do I need the megane hose?

I used a custom braided hose though had a pedal box

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
I used a custom braided hose though had a pedal box

I have a megane pedal and master now, just no pipe, what ends did you use? My engine etc hasn't arrived yet so don't know if there's any pipe work to the slave.

M135i, 197 turbo
I have a megane pedal and master now, just no pipe, what ends did you use? My engine etc hasn't arrived yet so don't know if there's any pipe work to the slave.
I meant an OBP pedal box, just made up a short copper section then measured whatever fittings I had to terminate the copper and got HEL to make me a braided line.

If you want another thread to read with the conversion mine's in the projects section - RS250ish originally 172 turbo with megane 6 speed though nows its 197 turbo with Clio 6 speed.....

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
I meant an OBP pedal box, just made up a short copper section then measured whatever fittings I had to terminate the copper and got HEL to make me a braided line.

If you want another thread to read with the conversion mine's in the projects section - RS250ish originally 172 turbo with megane 6 speed though nows its 197 turbo with Clio 6 speed.....

Ok thanks, so you've done it a couple of times now?

M135i, 197 turbo
What about the slave side? Is that a push in fitting? @Matt555

M10 screw on fitting, can't remember whether it's male or female though off the top of my head though I think it's male at the slave cylinder end

And yes I've done this a couple of times now, the conversion into a 197 is easier than the 1*2. @dann2707 started his after I got started on mine and we've both nearly sold/broke them at one point or other. I had my 172 turbo up and running finally then was utterly disappointed with the brakes (kept the 172 calipers with RC6 pads and high temp fluid) after they boiled at Oulton. So my solution was to buy some brembos with a 197 attached, first outing is tomorrow with it. So technically I did break it but I didn't give up

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
M10 screw on fitting, can't remember whether it's male or female though off the top of my head though I think it's male at the slave cylinder end

And yes I've done this a couple of times now, the conversion into a 197 is easier than the 1*2. @dann2707 started his after I got started on mine and we've both nearly sold/broke them at one point or other. I had my 172 turbo up and running finally then was utterly disappointed with the brakes (kept the 172 calipers with RC6 pads and high temp fluid) after they boiled at Oulton. So my solution was to buy some brembos with a 197 attached, first outing is tomorrow with it. So technically I did break it but I didn't give up

I'll be getting some brembo's. You can't go faster without better brakes.

I'm tempted by the 16" f1's for bigger brakes in the for sale section but have so many other things to get!

What did you do fuel rail wise? Seen some people are going with f1 with return and regulator, my ph1 doesn't have it! Is it needed?
Any other tips? I have bought an epas set up, 406 v6 master, and I've gone for a megane pedal as the dci100 is a bit rare. It has been done before by someone in oz?

M135i, 197 turbo
I'll be getting some brembo's. You can't go faster without better brakes.

I'm tempted by the 16" f1's for bigger brakes in the for sale section but have so many other things to get!

What did you do fuel rail wise? Seen some people are going with f1 with return and regulator, my ph1 doesn't have it! Is it needed?
Any other tips? I have bought an epas set up, 406 v6 master, and I've gone for a megane pedal as the dci100 is a bit rare. It has been done before by someone in oz?

I just ran a returnless rail from the 225 with an engine dynamics uprated pump on the 172, the 197 is using the same rail with the 197 pump as it's good for about 320bhp

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
It's tested my patience on multiple occasions. Wish I never started it and kept na as I've lost all of summer driving and spent about £3k in the process to have an unusable car. Life is so much better na witg a clio I found.

M135i, 197 turbo
It's tested my patience on multiple occasions. Wish I never started it and kept na as I've lost all of summer driving and spent about £3k in the process to have an unusable car. Life is so much better na witg a clio I found.
You’ll be happy when it’s sorted, keep at it, I’ve only had the car up for sale twice whilst building the sodding thing