ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Meglio Overheating Slightly ....

Nick101

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197 !
Hiya

so long story short rather than build my own I have purchased a completely prepared car .

when driven hard and on the turbo the temp gauge rises as soon as you come off the turbo and let it roll for a minute it cools back down pretty quick to normal running temp.

I have tried to get some photos of the engine bay .

Having just spent a small fortune on the car the last thing i wanna do is bugger it up !

any advice is welcomed !

Attachments

• engine bay.jpg
    engine bay.jpg
    954 KB · Views: 164
  • radiator.jpg
    radiator.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 156

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Pretty sure that's a common theme with clios which have the wrong engine in ;)

Struggles with cooling in a clio bay.

Clio 197,with megan'
Meglio cooling, is NOT a Problem. Start with the simple fix problems. Start car, heat up, so fan engages, stand in front with a tissue. Is it sucked towards the car, ( Right.), OR blown away from car?. ( Wrong.} sounds stupid, but mine was, and I believe a couple of others were as well. Cooling was one of the many problems when I bought mine. They removed the grills, put grills in the bonnet, but it did not cure it. The simple process of making fan suck, not blow, fixed it. Use the R26 Rad, its a little bigger than the 197 one. Check the thermostat/renew. For peace of mind, I also fitted a switch, so I can turn on fan manually, so now road /track, can temp barely ever rises, even on a warm day.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Could be worth sticking the clio 197 thermostat in there, it opens at a lower temperature (85°c) it's what I had in my 225 powered 182 running 285bhp and that was fine cooling wise

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Meglio cooling, is NOT a Problem. Start with the simple fix problems. Start car, heat up, so fan engages, stand in front with a tissue. Is it sucked towards the car, ( Right.), OR blown away from car?. ( Wrong.} sounds stupid, but mine was, and I believe a couple of others were as well. Cooling was one of the many problems when I bought mine. They removed the grills, put grills in the bonnet, but it did not cure it. The simple process of making fan suck, not blow, fixed it. Use the R26 Rad, its a little bigger than the 197 one. Check the thermostat/renew. For peace of mind, I also fitted a switch, so I can turn on fan manually, so now road /track, can temp barely ever rises, even on a warm day.

That makes a lot of sense, such a crazy thing to check that works but good pt

Nick101

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197 !

Awesome I will check that in a minute , I was also tempted to get a 77 degree thermostat as Ktec supply them that was going to be my piece of mind .

any advice on using a different coolant fluid or is this unnecessary ?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Are you losing any coolant? Also worth checking if when doing the conversion they've blocked off any of the coolant ports, that had been done on mine and it meant the engine couldn't bleed out any air which got sucked in to the system and the temps shot up. I'll dig out a before and after shot I took.

Nick101

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197 !
Are you losing any coolant? Also worth checking if when doing the conversion they've blocked off any of the coolant ports, that had been done on mine and it meant the engine couldn't bleed out any air which got sucked in to the system and the temps shot up. I'll dig out a before and after shot I took.

I haven't noticed anything being lost but i did only buy the car yesterday :cool:

It has clearly had a leak round the thermostat in the past as theres some powdery residue but i checked it after a drive and its bone dry and doesnt leave a mark on the floor or anywhere else that I can see ?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Just onto the 4th bar on the standard gauge possible just after but that's when going hard and it goes down quick

Is it still running the standard oil cooler/heater that works off coolant?

Probably worth running an aftermarket oil cooler.

Clio 197,with megan'
Awesome I will check that in a minute , I was also tempted to get a 77 degree thermostat as Ktec supply them that was going to be my piece of mind .

any advice on using a different coolant fluid or is this unnecessary ?
Nearly any coolant will be ok.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
This is the change I was talking about, but from the sound of it that may not be your issue. It also looks like your coolant header tank is in a different place to mine, so that could change the plumbing too. Best check the basics first, but for what it's worth here's the link (y)

Nick101

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197 !
Thanks for this p.s very nice motor 👌 love storm grey ....

I'm very tempted by the airtec header bottle kit 🤔 also the radiator . Also as the guy I bought the car from had a front splitter and parked in a cobbled area it was pointed slightly up, i will adjust this to be flat and see if it helps with airflow ?

I know I'm clutching at straws but every little helps right ?

Anyway i will get some more pics of the car on here later once she has had a polish !

Nick101

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197 !
How has someone put the fan on backwards 😂
No idea , was just wondering if I reverse the polarity so the fan runs the other way wpuld that do it or do I need to manually remove it an reinstall it the other way around 🤔

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
No idea , was just wondering if I reverse the polarity so the fan runs the other way wpuld that do it or do I need to manually remove it an reinstall it the other way around 🤔

I thought they only fit one way around.

Nick101

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197 !
I thought they only fit one way around.
Yeah me too but the fan is blowing the air back through the radiator and towards the front of the car ... so do I just rewire it the other way round to reverse which was it turns 🤔?

172 Ph1
Yeah me too but the fan is blowing the air back through the radiator and towards the front of the car ... so do I just rewire it the other way round to reverse which was it turns [emoji848]?

How to tell :

Firstly gather info from the fan blowing wrong way . I mean without tools gauge air flow in the form of wind.
Then reverse the polarity and measure again .
The issue is , the blades are made in such a way that they perform better when the fan turns only one way .

So if reverse polarity is less suck then blow [emoji38] then the fan will need to be mounted in front of the radiator and the wiring left as it is now .

Nick101

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197 !
How to tell :

Firstly gather info from the fan blowing wrong way . I mean without tools gauge air flow in the form of wind.
Then reverse the polarity and measure again .
The issue is , the blades are made in such a way that they perform better when the fan turns only one way .

So if reverse polarity is less suck then blow [emoji38] then the fan will need to be mounted in front of the radiator and the wiring left as it is now .
Thanks that makes sense 👍