ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Melted brake fluid cap

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Went to check up brake fluid and I've found my reservoir cap is melted to the tank itself in the corner nearest the manifold? The bottom part of the lid is cured under. Not sure how im going to remove it now short of cutting it off!

Any one else had this issue or know why it occurs?

182 T
Yea I did it, had to cut it off and replace it. No idea why it happened. Not had the same thing since. There was nothing wrong with the brakes at the time either just happened to notice it.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
same here, this isnt a track car just a road car so nothing should be getting THAT hot. Even if it were, hot enough to warp the plastic lid? All I can think is some fluid leaked out for whatever reason, flashed on the manifold and caught fire briefly which melted it to the lid. I cant shift it even with mole grips so ill need to cut it off I think - what did you use?
Glad i dont seem to be alone with this, been to renault this morning but they dont have one in so ordered one online, paranoid about it now as if it happened once but it could happen again

182 T
Same, hadnt been on the track at the point either.

A dremel with a little circular cutter on then a pair of pliers.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I dont have a dremel unfortuantely ,one of those things i guess i should have bought. was thinking of just heating something up and melting through it to break its grip

Inferno 182 & Saxo
That was a fun 30 minutes, one hot engine and me leaning over to melt/cut it off. Awful was on so tight it was melted well and proper so it wasn't even square in the tank. New one fitted now from a Renault breakers walking distance from work can't get over that!

1ef0af8dbc5515d720068d0a5a77b0c4.jpg

0bcebf9d413f1274657a35883b759ff4.jpg

3beab4a0b5cadd33be6283ec2575ff00.jpg

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Should I rig up some sort of heat shield for this? I mean none of these cars had one standard and are usually driven hard on track by some who don't run one so how do they get away without incurring this problem?