ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mileage discrepancy - HPI check

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,

Just carried out a hpi check on 2004 Clio 182 and it comes back with a mileage discrepancy. What further action should I take with this, check the MOT and service book? Or just avoid?

Also, why would it only go back to 2009?

discrepancy.JPG

Cheers.

New cars aren't MOT'd for the first 3 years iirc? Maybe that's why it starts at 2009, I'd be weary of the discrepancy though.

Sometimes a salesman doing a HPI on the vehicle could put the wrong mileage in by mistake into the HPI system and then it throws up a red flag.

I'm not sure how you can find out for definite though.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
You can check the old MOTs online since they went computerised, www.direct.gov.uk I think. Check what mileage it was on, in 08/09. If you don't own the car then you'll have to ask for the number that's on the log book

Clio RS200
Use the direct.gov website to check the MOT's as mentioned above.

Looks like a human error to me, although 89k between new and 2009 is possible.

172 cup
My friend had a 207 which has mileage discrepancy. It was apparently down to an mot station entering km instead of miles.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I personally think the whole NMR is a pointless and massively flawed system and unless there's something blatantly wrong, I always take it with a pinch of salt.

Judging by that up there, the car has was hpi'd, then drove 590 miles then HPi'd again. All in the same day.... Its a terrible database.

But to me, it looks like that car had done 84000 miles in the first five years, someone px'd it and then it got clocked. I wouldn't mind betting that the first owner ran it for those 84,000 miles then got rid when his 5 year finance was up. The dealer sold it on to a trader who then destroyed the service history, clocked it, made up some basic service history and sold it with 30ish k on it.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I personally think the whole NMR is a pointless and massively flawed system and unless there's something blatantly wrong, I always take it with a pinch of salt.

Judging by that up there, the car has was hpi'd, then drove 590 miles then HPi'd again. All in the same day.... Its a terrible database.

But to me, it looks like that car had done 84000 miles in the first five years, someone px'd it and then it got clocked. I wouldn't mind betting that the first owner ran it for those 84,000 miles then got rid when his 5 year finance was up. The dealer sold it on to a trader who then destroyed the service history, clocked it, made up some basic service history and sold it with 30ish k on it.

Went to view it today. Guy had 'lost' the latest MOT certificate and also the service booklet. So I walked away within 10 minutes. Nice wasted journey for a car with full service history :rolleyes:

Also had two ditchfinders on the front, a mixed ditchfinder with Falken on the rear. Plus no idea of when cambelt or aux belt was done.

Plate: HT04 UTH

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4064300.htm

WRX
Looking at it, my first thought was dodgy then I thought perhaps 84 should be 34? But if you're not happy then walk away like you did.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
ive had 2/3 cars mileage changed through the HPI-

THe NMR is in the office adjacent to HPI & any discrepancy goes to them-

they are very helpful, however very strict on what they do or do not change- If you want a recorded mileage changed then you have to email over the service history book AND supporting invoices-
If you havent got the invoices they will ring the garages-

if the garage isnt there any more you will not get it changed-
They will also use the VOSA website to substantiate any claims-

If you HPI a car & theres a discrepancy, unless you are 100% sure of the history then avoid

S

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
MOT records should go back prior to 2009 for this one.

My bet is that somebody has changed the instrument cluster & its done rather a few more miles than the seller says it has ...

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
The Puma I bought a few weeks ago flagged up with an NMR discrepency but it fell in the middle of the records and the car had a full history, all MOTs, bills etc to back it up and it was a big jump in an 8 month period. The car definitley hadn't done the 50,000+ miles extra going by the bodywork, interior and general condition. The info in the first post does look much more dubious.