ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mini cooper S v valver

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
this will totally show my lack of knowledge of other cars, and instead of looking up figures i would rather just make myself look stupid and ask on here.

what is quicker...handles better etc etc.... as i have said to my dad that my car is definately quicker than my uncles new cooper S limited edition

But I was accelerating with one who was not hanging around getting away from roundabouts and I was with him all the way? and mine's a slow valver! lol

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I managed to stay with one in my old valver. Dont know about being quicker though?!

Saw one booming along other day and it didnt look slow at all!

Focus ST
I would've thought that there wouldn't be much in it in a straight line until you get to say 80-90mph, but then I think the extra power of the cooper S would show.

Handling wise I think it'd have to be the mini from what I've heard, but I've not drivenone like I have a valver.

The Cooper S isnt very quick at all. Certainly not as quick as most of their owners seem to believe. I've show a clean set of heels to many a Cooper S in my 182Cup.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Roy Munson said:
The Cooper S isnt very quick at all. Certainly not as quick as most of their owners seem to believe. I've show a clean set of heels to many a Cooper S in my 182Cup.

Agreed. With the 'charger on the MCS kicking in immediately, it gives you the sense that you're actually going quicker than you really are. To be honest, it reminds me more of a TDi drive - except the torque is more spread out through the rev-range. It gets out of breath quite easily - probably an additional reason as to why they added an extra cog to the gearbox.

A standard Cooper S will be no match for a 182 and certainly not a 172 Cup...

D.

320d
Very little in it i'd imagine top end, 0-60 or handling

Valver has less power on paper but those mini's are very heavy

The Cooper S does pull very hard off roundabouts in 2nd gear thats for sure. Probably because of the charged torque? But once the 182 is revving past 5000rpm it's bye bye erm...Cooper S. I think an S would pull on valver lower down initially at least...you'd have to cane the Clio to stay with it I reckon.

PS. Sorry for the 182 hijack, I realise that's not the topic in discussion

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
140bhp per ton is pretty much what the mini works out at. Obviously they have more torque though...

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
ok not to get funny with all those people who have replied as this is a forum and you have a right to reply but i did ask how the cooper s compared to a valver not a 172 / 182....if i wanted to know that surely i would have asked that.....

as i siad i am not getting at you just stating a fact..sorry

Freebone said:
ok not to get funny with all those people who have replied as this is a forum and you have a right to reply but i did ask how the cooper s compared to a valver not a 172 / 182....if i wanted to know that surely i would have asked that.....

as i siad i am not getting at you just stating a fact..sorry

Fair comment mate, I think the 182 thing just came in naturally as something else to mark the Cooper S against? That was my bad for mentioning it, but since I've not driven a valver I thought a 182 might be an ok example, if you knew how a 182 stacked against a valver.

In any case I did mention that in the 'PS' in my previous post :)

The Jinx
b****cks the valver will win. It's actually very, very close on roads with bends, but get beyond 60 and the Scooper will start pulling away and top end is much, much more than a valver.

I've had several run ins with my mate and another former valver owner round the peak district and it was incredibly close.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Roy Munson said:
Fair comment mate, I think the 182 thing just came in naturally as something else to mark the Cooper S against? That was my bad for mentioning it, but since I've not driven a valver I thought a 182 might be an ok example, if you knew how a 182 stacked against a valver.

In any case I did mention that in the 'PS' in my previous post :)

thats cool dude as i said i wasen't getting funny just it seemed useless as i was trying to find out bout a valver.....

it seems there are mixed opiions as usual...i spose i may have to go out and smoke my uncle.....doubt he would be up for that....shame really

Vee dub
Neil82cup said:
A standard valver will struggle against a modern day 2.0 16 valve/TDi rep mobile?

We wern't discussing this?

The point is, saying a valver is slow is just silly!

Theyr not amazingly quick admittedly, but slow they are not! lol

Last edited:
  Remapped derv Golf
Neil82cup said:
A standard valver will struggle against a modern day 2.0 16 valve/TDi rep mobile?

In-gear them VAG diesels are bloody fast though.

I reckon quite even. JONGSR4 managed to p*ss off a Cooper-S in his VTS a couple of years ago. Although the newer ones have more BHP and an early S would proberbly blow up if you tried to race anything. Mate of mines has been back to the dealers 25 times! Very early one though.

Just make sure its not a Works pack one because some them are 200-250bhp afaik.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry but how can people say theyre slow when people like Dan_mk1's which is hardly modded runs low 15's down the strip?! Mine was quick too....

Freebone, dont really think your gunna get a answer! lol My guess is it will be very close, if not in favour of the cooper slightly because of the torque advantage...

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
yeah tom i think i have come to that conclusion to...people seem to be going off track a bit about valvers being slow....as said before in the post only wanna know between valvers and scooper

Clio Phase II 16V
who cares, your gonna kill yourselves or someone else racing about, if you happy with your car why worry about what it can beat, hire a kart track for the day and see who has actual driving abilities rather than a faster car.

Vee dub
Red Valver said:
who cares, your gonna kill yourselves or someone else racing about, if you happy with your car why worry about what it can beat, hire a kart track for the day and see who has actual driving abilities rather than a faster car.

Don't think Freebone mentioned anything about racing, just wondered what was quicker in general - a cooper s or his valver.

Clio Phase II 16V
Swervin_Mervin said:
b****cks the valver will win. It's actually very, very close on roads with bends, but get beyond 60 and the Scooper will start pulling away and top end is much, much more than a valver.

I've had several run ins with my mate and another former valver owner round the peak district and it was incredibly close.

^^ Racing around

The Jinx
Red Valver said:

FPMSL. You clown.

Red Valver said:
^^ Racing around

Were you there? Do you know the national speed limit is 70mph? Since the highest speed mentioned is 60, and you have no idea how the cars were being driven, I fail to see how you can judge?

Pull your head out of your arse and stay out of threads you dont like :cool: