ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Minimising appearance of tiny chips?

A4 Avant & A3
I have about a billion tiny stone chips on my bonnet.
I know the only real way to sort it will be a respray, but I don't really want too spend much on it.
Are there any polishes that would colour the tiny chips? I've read poorboys black hole might help make them less obvious?
The car is metallic blue and when you're quite close it has loads of tiny white dots over the bonnet., from a few feet back its nowhere near as noticeable.

I gather polishes (if there is anything) will only last until the next wash? But it'd be nice to tidy it up occasionally...

Any suggestions? I'm not up on this detailing business.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
'Black wax' is a firm favourite with my car dealer customers, it hides a multitude of sins...

I personally hate it as yes it hides chips, but it's like sand and scratches s**t out of the paint.

Like this;

b7269746a9934ddf24a8bf00fef642e4.jpg

If the car is a mid blue (Cup blue for example) colour or darker then something like poorboys black hole would be my go to product.

A4 Avant & A3
Thanks for that, I'll give the poorboys a go at some point then, could do without anymore scratches on it lol, the mrs drives it lol...
it is the same if not darker than cup blue, so hopefully it'll improve it.
Cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Do you need to put anything on top of the black hole polish?

You don't need to per se but a sealant will keep it shiny and make it last longer.

If you're not big into cleaning, I have loads of sealants and i'm only in soundwell. I don't have any black hole though.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I used black hole last week on mine and it did hide a fair bit of the smaller marks. But remember they will come back after a while so you'll need to keep going over it.

I waxed mine after aswell to seal it in.

A4 Avant & A3
You don't need to per se but a sealant will keep it shiny and make it last longer.

If you're not big into cleaning, I have loads of sealants and i'm only in soundwell. I don't have any black hole though.

Cheers, I'll keep you in mind, am I right in thinking you have a detailing business then?
I'll give this black hole a try, but going by my past efforts.. I'm not expecting much lol.

Liam, thanks for letting me know that it does hide some marks. Sounds like its worth a try.
The Mrs is away at the minute with the car in question, she mentioned in passing on the phone that there may be a few small scratches on the back now.... She reversed into a hedge. (Obviously its my fault as I've not got the reverse sensors fixed!!)
God help me.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Lol. My ex reversed into a wall in my old 172 and touched it up with her nail varnish trying to hide it!!

With the black hole you need to really work it in, keep rubbing and rubbing and rubbing, then buff off. Don't leave it to dry to a haze

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
There is a better way of doing it. Takes time effort and some talent at least, i've done it for years now on bumpers and rear lower quarters, the Frp was really bad for chips.

Now I wouldn't use it for a whole bonnet, i'd buy a proper touch up and do the really big ones that are noticeable then I would wet sand and polish the bonnet. http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20127

On bumpers and lower quarters etc use this technique... (ignore the shaving part) It's not for the faint hearted but it transformed my Frp. Especially those quarter panels.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=217520

A4 Avant & A3
I must admit, I'm slightly scared of wet Sanding!. I tried it on a large scratch on my other car and it looks "better," but I did sand one part a little too much.. I bought some gtechniq polish which worked well buffing the sanding marks out by hand.

I have touched up some of the proper stone chips & left it at that, the bit I'm trying to mask is shed loads of very fine light chips, I wouldn't attempt to touch those up and sand as there are far too many!

A4 Avant & A3
Hand polishing after wet sanding? Impressive!

It worked fine for the small area I did. I sanded with 2000 followed by 2500 wet and dry, then polished up with gtechniq p1 using their polishing pad & it put the shine back into the paint.
Didn't take much effort really, just a shame I went as bit overboard with the sanding lol.