ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk1 172 - back box/exhausts

Was on the phone to Halfords today to check their costs of Magnex exhausts. They quoted me around £180 for the magnex oval back box and around £340 for the cat-back system.

What I really wanted to know is whats the main diff between system and backbox, I just want a nice engine note and the looks, not that bothered about a few bhp gain...

is this the best way to go, just back box, its also alot cheaper, does any one know if the problems with magnex have been sorted, the guy from halfords said that Magnex now have revised the 172 exhaust and its perfect fit!! he also guaranteed it NOT to fall off..

Is that the new magnex oval?. I saw a oval version that was different to Jass in the gallery. If your not bother about the power, then i would of thought the back box would of given you a nice engine note on its own.

Chun.

I got a magnex oval back box fitted last June.It looks and sound fantastic.I have had no problems with it and I driven over 10,000 miles since.I have heard of a range of problems with the full system some were-too long,too short and rattling off the heat shield.The back box has the sound and looks which was all I was after.Anyway, the standard exhaust system is stainless steel anyway...
The one to ask about the merits of a full magnex oval is Ian16v!

Colin - sounds cool, think iam gonna plump for the backbox, where did you get yours from, Is Halfords a good place to buy and get fitted? or are they xpensive/sh*te?? also does this increase your insurance??? as 172s aint cheap to insure in the first place!!!

Right now Iam bloody confused, my mates brother whos studying engine mechanics has said that if you put a magnex backbox onto my 172 it will reduce performance as it will loose back pressure, I really dont wanna loose any of my speed, so is this true??? Will it affect the performance

From what i heard you gain 5 Bhp, and maybe lose a little bit of torque. Which i thought could proberly be gained back with a chip.

Chun.

Hello ian 16v here
My full magnex system is brilliant,you can see it in the gallery.I dont really have any problems with it has its the modified version for the later mark 1 clios.The only thing i notice is when starting up when the system is cold it kinda makes a instant clattering sound but dont think it is hitting anything has i done a full range of driving and everything seems and sounds okay.But it is a massive system though compared to the full magnex i had on my old clio 16v.The mechanic told me the system is quite close to the heat shield,but touch wood it seems okay.
I wouldnt hesitate to get one,and i would get the full sysytm if i where you.
Ian
Ps
It is bloody loud at motorway speeds though,but i can handle it has it is really a great piece of engineering (sad arent i)

Dan

You were asking about where I had my magnex rearbox fitted and about insurance.I live in Dublin and I had the magnex put on in a performance car centre in Co. Cork (I dont think that will be of any use to you as you are probably in the UK).My insurance hasent gone up at all.Also I havent had any reduction in performance.The only difference to the car is a better looking and sounding rear end.I also had the standard air filter replaced with a K&N one.Product no. E-9131.
Let us know what you do decide to go for.