ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 172 Central Locking via Key Fob Problem

Hi,

Got a problem with the central locking on my 172 were after a long journey you get out of the car and the central locking won't activate via the key fob. It works fine from the button inside the car. After leaving the car for about 5 mins the car locks via the key fob fine.

Any ideas what this could be?

Also more rarely, sometimes the key fob does not work when you want to unlock the car so you have to open the door and set the alarm off. If you then close the door start the car and the re-open the door the alarm stops? Weird.

Could this be the receiver or the door locking module? Presumably it's not likely to be the alarm as I believe the central locking sets and unsets the alarm?

Also if it is the receiver or central locking module whereabouts are they?

Lots of questions! Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: Not a problem with the key as I've tried it with both and neither will work when it's playing up.

Rob.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for replying, doesn't seem to be a problem with the battery in the key as when it's playing up I've tried it with both the keys I have and neither work?

It will lock and unlock all day long with the keyfob when it's not playing up but if you go for a long drive that's when it usually plays up. 5 minutes after playing up all is fine again?

Rob.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Depending on the build year of your car, the receiver for the remote locking can be either built into the main control ECU or in the housing above the interior mirror.

If its the latter, they are prone to dry joints and corrosion on the PCB especially if you have a sunroof.

Taking it out and re soldering the joints is a quick fix, but you should really clean the board and re-laquered it afterwards for a more permanent solution.

It might be worth just checking the solder joints in your key also, as they can suffer from the same problem.

Hi Brian,

It's a year 2000 with no sunroof. Is that likely to have the receiver near the interior light?

Thanks again.
Rob.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Hi Rob,
It is up by the interior light on your car.
I have a diagram for you, but photo bucket is playing up at the moment.
I will post it as soon as I can.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
cliorem2.jpg

Fantastic! I'll get onto Renault tomorrow to get it priced up, wonder if GSF sell them? Fingers crossed it's that.

Thanks again.
Rob.