ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 172 or MK2 172 CUP

Hi looking at possibly getting a 172 clio and wanted to know from people on here who have owned them or BOTH, which one is better to go for.

I havent driven either yet. Wanted it to be reliable and fun to drive. Not having creature comforts doesnt bother me as iv had a 16v for 3 yrs.

MK1 172 CLIO or MK2 172 CUP, There isnt a great deal of difference in the price from what i know.

Any input from people would be great.

Thanks
Paul

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

If i want leather and air con... mk1, if u want a up to date look Cup..... I wouldnt say no to either, but im glad i choose the cup with warenty lmao!

Mk1 personally as its the similar weight to the Cup with all the toys.

Plus should be easier to fix as it doesnt have that stupid UCH computer in it.

I thought that the Cup (Ive got a 53 plate) offered a slightly more focused and involving drive - although it may be difficult to compare - I spent a fair bit of time in both on a route I know inside-out. Driving experience may also be related to mileage the car has covered - Ive driven a couple of standard MKIs that felt a bit sloppy, Cup obviously fairly taut out-of-the-box.

Some people seem a bit optimistic with price theyre after on MKIs - seen a few early ones going privately for £7k (my local dealer was recently trying to sell a couple of Y plates for over £9k - theyre having a laugh !), can get a good 172 Cup for £8kish - a few around at the mo well under 8k.

They aint quicker then a 182! I have come from a Mk1 172 im a big fan! Out of the 2 I would get the MK1 just love the look and they are much rarer.

Great cars!

Although scooby stu is right they do feel a little sloppy.

A few tweaks/mods will sort the sloppiness out Im sure.

You certainly dont see many around - I often notice that my Cup gets a few looks, Im the same when I see a MK1.

Yeh agree with you there MK1 are rare, I think i will have to have a look at one properly, though looking at prices on the net people seem to be asking a lot for them when you can spend a little more and get a mk2 172.

WOW just looked on net and most people are asking £6500 to £7250 for 2000 MK1 172 with more miles then 2002 MK2 172 that start for £7500 with v low miles. These people are very! optimistic asking for that much.

renaultsport clio 182

i paid £7500 for a ph1 172 y reg 2001 last october,only 17,500 miles on the clock,wanted a ph2 cup or 172 but the ones i looked at this money were sheds, both nice motors but ph 1 better imo and not many about probably the reason for holding their money and will in the future.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

from our very own cliosport homepage on car specs......performance.......

mk1 172

PERFORMANCE 0-100 kph / 0-62 mph 6.8 secs Maximum speed 138 mph
220 kph

0-100 kph / 0-62 mph 7.1 secs Maximum speed 139 mph
222 kph

looks quicker to me :D

2005 Impreza WRX STI

mk2 clios are quite common therefore u will be able to pick one up cheap, the mk1 is a rare car and will hold their value a lot better IMO. i bought mine not long ago n i could of had a mk2 for the same price if not cheaper.

at the end of the day, which ever u go for it will be a nice, fast car!

Trophy

yep id go for the mk1 172 mate....dont buy a silver one though,everyones got a silver one,i took the time and looked around for a black one,talk about rare... in 3 years ive only ever seen 1 other on the road,the blue is nice also but dont bother with a red one,they look pinkish in sunlight and the yellow is a non starter...the early mk1s have alloy bonnets too...

if you want the "cup" expierence simply take out the passenger & rear seats and the spare wheel one sunday afternoon....

the cup blue is a bit "saxo-ish" too

weve had 2 Mk1 172s and a Cup - they are all brill - its just a matter of your own personal choice really - on looks and how "loaded" you want it

the Cup is slightly quicker, but the 172s are not snails either !!!

Youll need to do a bit more than just take out a few seats and get rid of the spare wheel to get the "Cup Experience".

"the cup blue is a bit "saxo-ish""

WTF?

Mondial blue is by far the best colour you can get a clio in. How can you compare anything on a Cup to anything on a pice of sh1t chavtastic Saxo?

renaultsport clio 182

Quote: Originally posted by son of solo on 08 February 2005

yep id go for the mk1 172 mate....dont buy a silver one though,everyones got a silver one,i took the time and looked around for a black one,talk about rare... in 3 years ive only ever seen 1 other on the road,the blue is nice also but dont bother with a red one,they look pinkish in sunlight and the yellow is a non starter...the early mk1s have alloy bonnets too...

if you want the "cup" expierence simply take out the passenger & rear seats and the spare wheel one sunday afternoon....

yes silver is more popular,mines oddysey blue only seen 1 other than mine,red ones are rare not seen 1 as yet, cup(mondial) blue is the best colour by far should have put it on the phase 1 172 that would look sweet imo of course. :D

Trophy

you know the bright metallic blue that nearly every other saxo buyer opted for when they first came out....the cup blue is kinda like that....belive me the red mk1 172s do look pink,metallic red just doesnt work...

the best thing about the dark coulours on the mk1s is that the "plastic" bits of trim dont stand out as much,stick on a shorter aerial,put in some clear side indicators,mk2 lights on the back and some silver bulbs all round and you have a seriously nice mk1 172..........

what extras were available on the mk1s other than the cd changer?

Quote: Originally posted by son of solo on 08 February 2005

Cup experience is a lot more than simply shedding a few kgs

Put Mondial blue Cup alongside Saxo and theyre clearly v. different - not that this matters - theyre miles apart in terms of what they offer. Sad, I know, but it makes me smile when I see Saxo chav-monkeys drooling over my Cup.

172 cup

I agree. The Cup blue is easily one of the nicest colours there is for a car. Buy the cup. Mk1s look a bit dated in comparison.

Subaru Forrester

So Mk1s are starting to hold their price? I couldnt give mine away when I was selling it.

Get the Mk1, fantastic car. Loved every minute of my 2 years with it.