ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 172 Vs VTR + others Vid

BMW E46 330i Touring
Cool, downloading now. But why did TopGear compare the 172 to a VTR!?! Seems like an 'Auto Express' test to me... :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
vts, you can tell by the alloys.. good vid, now to all those who said a vts will keep up with a 172, look at the advantage the clio has on the straights

for those at the last airfield day.... the gti and the vts were as good as the fastest cars round the track

Titanium 182
anyone remember when auto car did the hot hatch track

about 30 cars think the civic type R won, then the clio sport then the vts wasnt even a second of the clio which wasnt anything off the civic

vts isnt all that in a straight line, but its a good thrash where therses corners!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
what is the codec needed? all i see with media player is the visualisation thing and sound. ta.

Could be a VTS or VTR? A few VTR's round this way run VTS looks!! Plus does everyone remember the top gear vid where the saxo was chasing the clio on track - it was GAINING on the clio on the twisties!

Or is this the vid im downloading?? lol!! i have a vid of the hot hatch test with the 106/saxo/clio etc ^^^ is this the same one??!!

Nippy white cup
On tight tracks there won`t be much difference really...although I think Tiff would be able to make the difference a lot less

Chris

why are we even trying to compare a VTR with a 172? it wont stand a chance! pmsl

the one in the video is a VTS and it does keep up with the 172 quite well. The VTS is a bargain compared to the 17k a Mk1 172 cost new.

Remapped derv Golf
Thats not the real world is it! It's a track!

The VTS is a quick little machine! Thats why Tiff picked it. Although Tiff is a miles better driver than VBH.

They should have said don't buy a 172 for 5 years because it will be 10k cheaper! lol!

Doesn't the mk1's steering wheel look more racey than the bus wheel in the mk2.

Last edited:
Justy said:
Or is this the vid im downloading?? lol!! i have a vid of the hot hatch test with the 106/saxo/clio etc ^^^ is this the same one??!!

You have probably downloaded it by now but yes its the same video.

You can see the 16v badge on the side, thats what made me realise it was a VTS.

MKIII 138
is everyone forgetting something ?

a race driver can extract speed from even an average car, the point with the 172/182 has always been you can be an average driver and it flatters you, you can eat up road in a 172/182 without hardly any driver skill (unless its wet) where as on the vid there all race drivers, in the real world there is no way two average drivers one in a saxo and one in a 172 would the saxo keep pace as the 172 would flatter the driver and carry more speed easliy, not forgetting though the MKII has much more sorted suspension setup and the 182 even further and a trophy further than that, so the saxo is way down the list imo unless it has an exellent driver and is modified

Remapped derv Golf
I'm fed up with this VTS discussion!

When will people learn that a VTS or GTi is quicker than people give it credit for!!

MKIII 138
Adamf said:
I'm fed up with this VTS discussion!

When will people learn that a VTS or GTi is quicker than people give it credit for!!

ohh you right, it is quick but not as capable as a 172 or 182 sorry but it isnt and the cost of the vehicle identifies this. its not that there slow and the saxo`s chasiss is based on the 106gti which clarkson heralded as the best handling car in the world at one point but the chassis on the 172 is also very complete and the extra power makes it no contest, its either faster or it isnt ? it isnt.
the end.

not forgetting the clios superior brakes, safety and features, the clio is a nice car also and looks better, it also has a greater heritidge lol anything else.. one thing to remember just like the MKI 172 the saxo`s is really old in the teeth getting a looked after example is getting harder and harder.

E39 530i
Ok, im going to try and end this discussion once and for all!
I had a VTR not a VTS and as much as people say the VTR is a fast car. I now have a mk 1 172, and i can feel the difference straight away.

I VTR/VTS handles imo slightly better than the 172 on the corners - but the 172 is a much more complete car with more power! I had great times in my VTR but im having better times with my 172 beast (thanks george16v)

MKIII 138
is there any need to talk aobut saxo`s anymore ??? there soooo old and should be left now you cannot find hardly any decent examples for a start and things have moved on, this is a disscusion that should have ended 3 years ago, with the event of the MKII 172 and 172 cup the saxo was left behind, with both newer MKII cars possesing even further suspension tweaks the argument for MKI vs VTS/VTR was hardly valid but with the MKII ist even less valid and as for the further and grealty tweaked 182cup settings well you get the point..

VaVa
If Tiff was really trying, the 172 would have got owned. lol.

They're quick little f*****s those VTS. Theres on local to me who I couldn't shake off - and it's only git i/k and zorst. Such a shame about the image.

Golf GTI Ed30
Proton GTI.... Ha ha bloody ha.... I hate those bloody things.. Where Proton got that 0-60 fogure from i'll never know (christmas cracker I think) I drove one years back and it took for ever to get to 100 mph, my (then) 106 GTi would of raped it. 36.5 secs for 0-100......Ha ha ha

Golf GTI Ed30
Does my head in when they think the VTS is half a second quicker to 60 than the GTI as well.... SAME F***ING CAR!!!!! It's just Peugeot time there cars with about 99999999 people in them and 80 gallons of fuel in them..

2005 Impreza WRX STI
isnt there a weight difference in vts/gti? diff wheel size etc? just me being pedantic i suppose!lol oh and back to the vts/gti debate.....172 are better cars but speed wise, not much in it i tell theee. especially round a track!

Titanium 182
iv raced a few 172s in my vts i owned a 172 before i got my vts

fair enough the 172 is a tiny bit quicker in a straight line to 100, only a tiny bit its probably alot faster over 100mph

but the saxo handles better, from the 172s iv raced iv never been totally hammerd as the vts handles so well

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
saxo has a dam fine chassis, but i would have thought a 172 cup would bw more composed?

Remapped derv Golf
Dean said:
iv raced a few 172s in my vts i owned a 172 before i got my vts

fair enough the 172 is a tiny bit quicker in a straight line to 100, only a tiny bit its probably alot faster over 100mph

but the saxo handles better, from the 172s iv raced iv never been totally hammerd as the vts handles so well

They don't listen Dean. Save ya breath.

Elise/VX220/R26
just finished watching it, really good feature actually, just goes to show how that mk1 172 was pretty much responsible for benchmarking hot hatches these days