ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 172 What Exhaust - Original is Knackered

What exhaust would you recommend as a replacement for the Renualt original on a MK1 172 - After 21K miles mine has just started blowing and as it is pi**ing down with rain I havent crawled underneath to find out where from.

what are the options for the Mk1 172

Thanks

PBS

Have searched all the forums and read all the posts on the different exhaust options.

I notice there was a discussions about the original exhaust being Stainless Steel - can anyone confirm this ?

If it is then the problem must be at one of the joints.

The rain stopped so I went out side and looked underneath.....

I thought Stainless Steel was not suppossed to rust? - My exhaust has rust on it so....

looks like the exhaust is aluminised rather than stainless - also tried the magnet test although this is not a cert since some stainless steels will attract a magnet.

Off to the deaker tomorrow to have a proper look underneath and find out what needs replacing.

Checked OMP website and gives Part number as QB/RE708 and quotes that this is a 3 part system - Is this Cat Back or not ?

i think it replaces the cat too.
not sure, youll have to email them.
try supersprint too, there great quality.

Have e-mailed OMP in Italy so I hope to hear from the tomorrow.

Since the car is for road use I dont know about removing the cat.

Havent found a UK supplier yet but will keep looking.

i can give you the supplier of supersprint in the UK.
Oh, and removing the cat is fine.
supersprint: ryanl@eurostyling.co.uk

nope. As long as it passes the emmisions test without it, you wont need it...which it will do.
otherwise, just bolt your cat back on, or tell him its in for repairs and itll be back on next week.

I stand to be corrected but if the vehicle was built after 1992 it would have to have had a CAT fitted and as such must have one fitted for the MOt even if it passes the emissions test without one.

My father was an MOT tester and he things I would still need the CAT.

Since you have said that I could re-fit the CAT the Exhaust system components must be split into the same sections and must be interchangible?

This CAT lark is getting interesting..

Currently on a troll of the WWW and have so far found this...

Advanced emission (CAT) test:

CAT test is an unfortunate term which leads many to think that the MOT is testing the Catalytic converter fitted to later vehicles but this is not so.

The MOT is testing emissions, so if the emissions from the tailpipe meet the requirements the vehicle passes. Whether a CAT is fitted is irrelevant. The deciding factor is the vehicles date of first registration. A "Cat" may be fitted to a vehicle which only needs to meet the two gas test and if the emissions are satisfactory, it passes. A "Cat" may have been removed and the vehicle is required to meet the "Cat" test standard by virtue of its first registration date. If the emissions meet the standard then it passes.

Many advanced design engines will meet the "Cat" requirements with a standard exhaust but of course may be emitting other pollutants not subject to the MOT.

Looks like I need to clarify the situation..

Will continue the search.

mk2 172

when i had my car rollin roaded he said i would need a miracle to get it through mot after he did emissions test, i did the next best thing and bought an mot certificate.

And theres more...

Reducing Emissions

Since 1970 the European Union have agreed a number of Directives progressively tightening vehicle emission limits. These are implemented in the UK through the Vehicle Construction and Use Regulations and Type Approval Regulations. As a result vehicle manufacturers are being forced to improve their design technology to meet the stricter standards.

Catalytic Convertors - From 1993 all new cars had to meet limits for HC, NOx, and CO equivalent to those in force in the USA and Japan. This involves fitting a catalytic convertor to the exhaust of the car, which converts the pollutants to less harmful gases. The disadvantage is that catalysts may result in the car using more fuel and increase CO2 emissions. Catalysts also contain expensive rare metals. Fitting catalysts to existing cars is not always possible and involves major work.

Hansard 02/07/1991

Vehicle Emissions
Mr. Flynn : To ask the Secretary of State for Transport whether he intends to introduce measures to encourage lower vehicle emission limits.

Mr. Chope : Following a decision in the EC Environment Council on 20 December 1990, strict new emissions standards will apply to all new cars from31 December 1992. As a result petrol cars will have to be fitted with three-way catalytic convertors. We are now pressing for strict standards for gaseous and particulate emissions from heavy goods vehicles and buses, and have recommended that the Community sets a mid-1990s diesel standard based as closely as possible on the United States 1994 model year standards, both in limit values and test procedure. Later this year, we also propose to include an emissions check in the annual MOT test for all petrol driven cars and light vans.

Nope. 172 at least 2000 Mk1 is good old crap steel.

Exhaust has rusted through and snapped where the pipe goes into the back box :-(

Friendly Renault service dept are not worth a W**K.

Parts Dept at first did not know what a Clio Sport 172 Was we will have to have a look at the car !!!

The factory exhaust is 1 part all the way to the twin cats and needs to be cut up to be removed.

The back box is then joined to the cut end of the pipe - the only problem is there are 3 possible pipe diameters which require the right adaptor to fit!!

Converstion went along the lines of....

Can you order me a new back box - yes overnight delivery if it is in stock.

Can you measure the pipe to order the right adaptor - Come back next Tuesday and we will measure it for you.

We will then have the parts by the end of next week.

Thanks again Renault Swansea - very happy to sell you a car but the aftersales service is absolutely abysmal.

I went to Halfords and will Have a Magnex Stainless Steel 6x4 Oval system fitted over the weekend.

BMW 320d Sport

Magnex is always good. I heard a few complaints a while back about the fit on 172s but I think theyve sorted it now. I wouldnt use anything else except Magnex on my 16v.