ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 185 Clio Racing Blue Hybrid

Smashed the sump on a ramp which had a high lip on it. Didn't see it in the dark and it took the bottom end with it. No idea how as I turned it off within seconds of it occurring.

How the car sits. Smashed the engine out in rage.

The new engine. Lets see what I can make out of these two!

Got it in performance french car magazine. Little consolation considering my luck.

i8rc.jpg

Got the engine back together and the alternator died after 50miles!! Typical bad luck continues.

And a little reminder of whats happened since the last track day

Engine went bang
rebuild
high kerb cracked sump
engine dead again

But I couldn't afford to rebuild it again and lost faith in that engine. So got a replacement engine, dropped the head off my old one on to new engine and slapped it back in.

Engine is awesome! Need to get it on a set of rollers and see what power its putting out

xdb3.jpg

9edp.jpg

Bought this a while ago

myns.jpg

Resprayed bonnet vent satin black

kcfv.jpg

snbq.jpg

Sunk the battery into the boot.

df.jpg

s6ir.jpg

5pbw.jpg

re8x.jpg

172 stub axle modification

x0vt.jpg

Valver setup

4sem.jpg

172 setup

IMAG0428.jpg

IMAG0431.jpg

Wired in the megasquirts loom ready for mapping

IMAG0435.jpg

Peugeot 406 v6 master cylinder to go with the 172 front brakes I've now added.

IMAG0439.jpg

Opened the mongoose exhaust to find it has nothing

IMAG0441.jpg

Restuffed

IMAG0442.jpg

Welded back up

Sounds much better now!!

Compression tested it. Came back at 190-200 psi over all 4 cylinders! Can't wait for mapping.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is the 172 stub axle swap a case of just cutting off the large spigot and it bolts straight on or was there more to it?
cant tell from the pics.
Good way to end up with the ability to shim toe/camber as it's a real sticking point on the MK1

Clio.
Heat up the stub, knock it out with a big hammer, cut the small flange off, grind/file it flat, modify the threads to accept countersunk bolts, bolt on 1*2 stubs with shims if you have some. Easy peasy!
Did it to one of the R5 gt turbos we race and my mk1 16v.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Modify the thread? Do you mean just counter sink the 172 stub axle going on? As surely the thread is no different?
bolt spacing the same I take it from the pics?

Clio.
No, one of the treads is different in the axle, was such a long time ago I can't remember which one it is.....
jaykay will probably tell us, or if the bloke he borrowed the pics from is on here too he may be able to clarify.......and yes, bolt pattern the same.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No, one of the treads is different in the axle, was such a long time ago I can't remember which one it is.....
jaykay will probably tell us, or if the bloke he borrowed the pics from is on here too he may be able to clarify.......and yes, bolt pattern the same.

Cool stuff, looks simple enough then, will do it on mine at some point as I will want to be able to alter camber and toe.

Valvers use m8x1 bolts on the standard beam. The bolts are too short to re-use.

172 use 3 m10x1.5 and 1 m8x1.25 thread.

So you do as matt said. But then drill out all 4 holes to 8.5mm and tap in a m10x1.5 thread into the beam.
And also drill out the fourth hole on the stub axle bigger to accept the m10 bolt. Top left one I believe.

You could in theory just find 4 longer m8x1 bolts use the standard holes and create a shim insert in the 172 stub axle to close up the hole.
But seeing as all the standard renault stuff fits I just bought 2 extra m10 bolts.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Valvers use m8x1 bolts on the standard beam. The bolts are too short to re-use.

172 use 3 m10x1.5 and 1 m8x1.25 thread.

So you do as matt said. But then drill out all 4 holes to 8.5mm and tap in a m10x1.5 thread into the beam.
And also drill out the fourth hole on the stub axle bigger to accept the m10 bolt. Top left one I believe.

You could in theory just find 4 longer m8x1 bolts use the standard holes and create a shim insert in the 172 stub axle to close up the hole.
But seeing as all the standard renault stuff fits I just bought 2 extra m10 bolts.

Thanks for the extra details, I would be inclined to do it the same way you did as well, keeps it simple if its the same as our mk2s even down to the fittings.

Handbrake cable the same fitment?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cool :)

Will do it at some point even if its only temporary as its much easier than the alternatives I was looking at for getting adjustment onto the rear end (was thinking of a beam, or more accurately wishbones, off another car)

Next story of this cars life.

Boost!!!

P5181519.jpg

P5181520.jpg

P5181521.jpg

P5181522.jpg

P5181523.jpg

P5181524.jpg

P5181525.jpg

P5181526.jpg

P5181527.jpg

P5181528.jpg

P5181529.jpg

In typical me fashion. This will be done on a masively low budget.
I didnt get any of these for retail prices even though they're all brand new bar the turbo ;)

X2 Clio Valvers
Love this! Great colour choice and commitment... So tempted to change the colour of mine but my intentions was to make it original... Love mk1s in new clio colours, they really do work well with the body shape IMHO

Around 260-280hp Totally depends on the turbo really.

Done a bit more today.

Engine out

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

Im proper rusty. Bent the gear linkage and bent the speedo cable. Need to get my game on again!

X2 Clio Valvers
Around 260-280hp Totally depends on the turbo really.

Done a bit more today.

Engine out

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

Im proper rusty. Bent the gear linkage and bent the speedo cable. Need to get my game on again!

Should be nippy then!

I snapped my speedo cable lol :(
Always forget them things. Happens to the best of us

X2 Clio Valvers
Coming on nicely mate, contemplating boosting mine after reading Coops Turbo's thread lol. Think I'd be happy just cramming it up and stuff though, be more affordable more me too :lol:

X2 Clio Valvers
I have to say going boost is expensive :(. Doubled my budget already!

Head stripped down for new valve stem seals and a light skim for the mls head gasket.
IMAG0041.jpg
IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

Lol. I've been looking into it but going boost is similar price to the whole restoration!
Is yours an f7p or f7r? Those valves look bigger than mine :lol:

X2 Clio Valvers
F7R baby! 32mm inlet valves

Just bought a GT28R so the power may creep upto 300hp ;)

The head is back from its skim. Now to build it back up.

IMAG0045.jpg

Lol. I'm in 2 minds weather or not to buy my mates williams head,
It's virtually done no miles since it was rebuilt, not even been fitted to a car iirc,
It's cammed, ported and polished and something about valves from a megane I think he mentioned (don't hold me to the valves bit as I could've possibly heard that elsewhere) :lol:
What would you do? Pointless in fitting a williams head to an f7p722 bottom? Or a good investment?

X2 Clio Valvers
Worth doing if its cheap.

Might consider it lol...
Apparently it has piper cams with adjustable pulleys, bigger valves, gas flowed, ported etc, has been skimmed and even comes with a mls head gasket, and new head bolts.
It's also polished up too so will save me a job :lol:

Sorry for blabbing on your thread mate

Engine in, most of it is hooked up not long till it's running.

Damn its tight by the bulkhead! Also struggling to do the intercooler pipe work as I've smoothed one of the holes most of the others use.
IMAG0217_zpsyad34yy0.jpg

IMAG0218_zpszma9dktb.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

Most of the boost piping is done. Just need to order a few more in.... Spent so much on silicone bends.

The hole I cut is RAF style but I have f**k all tools here for that s**t.

Not long left till its running again!