ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Clio 1.8 16v AKA TOU

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
High comp bodies f7r with the jc5 lsd box. Remove sunroof. Bolt in cage. A bit of a 'modern' back road car a bit Track oriantated. Outside just o.e. Having said that. Going to all this effor makes me want to restore it to factory spec. So it's still a bit up in the air.

Imo factory with bolt on upgrades. Although id definitely remove the sunroof

Mk Clio 1.8 16v
Imo factory with bolt on upgrades. Although id definitely remove the sunroof
That's pretty much the jist of it. The rear windows will be sealed ones from a lower spec. The only thing would be where the cage mounts but that's relatively easy to change if I ever put it back to full stock interior.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
High comp bodies f7r with the jc5 lsd box. Remove sunroof. Bolt in cage. A bit of a 'modern' back road car a bit Track oriantated. Outside just o.e. Having said that. Going to all this effor makes me want to restore it to factory spec. So it's still a bit up in the air.

Was kinda hoping you weren't going track car route. Imo a sympathetic oe restoration is required. Hold more value then too so win win. Imo of course!

Mk Clio 1.8 16v
Was kinda hoping you weren't going track car route. Imo a sympathetic oe restoration is required. Hold more value then too so win win. Imo of course!
I know exactly what you're saying. Engine wise it will defiantly be on bodies. I've wanted one since 'Clio Lords' way back when. The full track thing might go out the window. I've got everything needed for both directions so time will tell.

Mk Clio 1.8 16v
Here are the panels I've got to replace the rotten areas. I have 2 sets of new sills but they're buried in two different garages so no photos of them. Also 2 sets of new front inner wing panels, i couldn't reach the other set but you get the idea. With these panels I'm assuming they will probably need dipping before they get welded in going on what the bloke said about not putting any sort of protection on the shell before it goes back to them otherwise it need a complete re dip process. Which i would like to avoid as it wasn't the cheapest thing ever!

Here are some pics

B567EAFB-6AC6-4101-B4FA-3E9329B9C573.jpg

New rear bumper mounting panel, not sure of its official name but the bumper bolts to it so that will do.

16AF3104-AB16-4B12-8BFE-DB2FD02B8239.jpg

One new inner drivers rear arch where the fuel neck goes, & a rear 'tub' thats ok conditions i won't be using the hole thing but saves me having to beat a panel to get the radius's where parts might need replacing in the previous photos.

347D6BBF-28D7-41ED-AFF5-4F54AF7E99A8.jpg

New drivers side rear arch poverty spec, so not flared. This should work ok for the bits i need it for.

A00EB5DE-2178-4FB8-9238-E23F089063B3.jpg

Drivers new front inner wing panel

33280895-1EAF-42C3-9ACF-C124F8D71DA3.jpg

Passenger side new front inner wing panel, someone had decided to paint this one?!

F5BC769B-D663-4842-868A-C828727BDE59.jpg

Brand new genuine Renault front slam panel section. This is a poverty spec one as the actual slam panel part is in one & there is no central mount for the front bumper that bolts on behind the numberplate area.

E010BBC6-4CCE-4FA2-A446-19297AD1CA5F_1.jpg

New front jacking point panels made front thicker material so should be a lot stronger.

FD4EAB55-4C62-4007-8B7C-DCBCDEEB028F.jpg

New rear jacking point panels.

F65DE011-45F7-424F-8168-50C93582501A.jpg

These front legs i cut off a car just on the off chance i needed anything. My other idea is to get the panels replicated if i can to help others when restoring theres. If you've got a mk1 and have ever tried to get replacement sheet metal parts you'll know that its near impossible to get anything.

Also awhile ago I treated myself to some turbines as they came up at an ok price with centre caps. They need a refurb but I'm obviously in no rush to sort that out.

4EACCEE2-BEDC-41D7-BE0F-5DDF4E3AB401.jpg

Finally my last little thing that I've spent a fair bit of time on was sorting these Coupe stickers out that were found on mk1 Clio Cup race cars back in the 90's. The only other person i know that does them is a french guy, so i thought it would help people out in the UK if there were some here too.

F65DE011-45F7-424F-8168-50C93582501A.jpg

Sorry nothing overly interesting, especially with regards to updating the shell etc. Hopefully there will be soon but probably nothing until next month as i haven't got any free time until then.

So much respect for this. I want to reach through the screen and shake your hand firmly.

This is exactly what I want to do - my main issue is that I fear mine is basically just suspension holding up a shell that's so rusty it will crumble into dust if I move it :(

Budget for this must be ££££, even if you're painting it yourself - the BMW 2002 in evo cost, what, £4500 for the shell prep and spraying? So much money to do it properly :(

Are all those panels available new from Renault still?? I may know someone sitting on a new OEM rear wing in the hope a restoration might eventually happen... lol

Mk Clio 1.8 16v
So much respect for this. I want to reach through the screen and shake your hand firmly.

This is exactly what I want to do - my main issue is that I fear mine is basically just suspension holding up a shell that's so rusty it will crumble into dust if I move it 😧

Budget for this must be ££££, even if you're painting it yourself - the BMW 2002 in evo cost, what, £4500 for the shell prep and spraying? So much money to do it properly 😧

Are all those panels available new from Renault still?? I may know someone sitting on a new OEM rear wing in the hope a restoration might eventually happen... lol

There isn't really a budget as such as there isn't really a time scale to get it done. I sort of just find out the next step & how much it costs then save up for that bit and move on. If I was working to a time scale i wouldn't have been able to do it, like the majority of people I'm by no means 'rich'.

The only panel in the above thats from Renault is the front slam panel, the rest are aftermarket items. Most of them could be found on Carz2 but even there they are running out of stock i think they are stopping making some items too. The jacking points are from a guy in france that i found on Facebook he makes replacement parts for 205's & started to make them for the renault 5's which share the same jacking points as the mk1 clio. Also believe that the front jacking points off a mk2 clio can be adapted to fit.

Well if that certain person wants to sell it let me know.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
I don't think you need that drivers inner rear arch as much as I do 😂 Can I have it please

AS1

1.4 16V and 1.4 RN
Did you buy or make the new front jacking point panels? I need a new left-hand fjp panel.

AS1

1.4 16V and 1.4 RN
someone is selling sets for around £150 on the clio16v facebook page
Thanks. My fjp isn't so much rusted out but heavily damaged after I ran over an object on my drive way in the dark.
I'll be trying something else first: I'll cut the piece out and try to reshape it. I'd also weld some reinforcement on it.
Then weld the whole thing back in. I'll combine this with a new sill which I already had planned to do.

Attachments

• IMG_2207.JPG
    IMG_2207.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2222.JPG
    IMG_2222.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 162

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Where did you get the inner rear tub / arch panels mate ? Need to sort my drivers one out but I'm loosing patience with trying to ' roll ' a new tub section