ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Clio Problems

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
Hi,

The car broke down yesterday, got it recovered and the man said it was over fuelling at the Single point injector, So a new carb was needed. Ive replaced the carb but the car just wont idle. :(

Any ideas?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i think you're asking the wrong people dude,
most people here arnt really into carb engines
or mk1s at all (bar F7P/R)
sorry.

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
It used to idle to low and then start to shudder as if it was about to cut out. now ive changed the carb it just wont idle at all. The only way i can get it started is by pumping the accelerator as i turn the key. it will then start. but then as soon as i take my foot off the pedal it just dies and cuts out. wont idle what so ever. :S

Do you know any furoms that will be able to help me?

Clio RSI 1.6
My mate had a problem with that and it ended up being the clutch that was the problem somehow? Don't askme how though!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
idle control valve?
TPS?
just general carb set up not injecting enough fuel?

not sure if any of those are on a carb engine

and it will only be the clutch if it is failing to disengage the engine from the box. and therefore when parked the engine cannot turn over as its still connected to the wheels.

if iirc this is what your engine looks like?? if so where the throttle cable is spring clipped to the rocker cover to the left of the filler cap pull the little spring out and pull the plastic bit towards the radiator 1 notch at a time (put the clip back in every notch you do) keep starting or leave running if it will the car until it runs on its own and idles right. then there is a little stub screw got yellow paint on the head of it sometimes in the mechanism under where the cable is attached to that plastic thing in which the throttle mehcanism retracts to (normaly). adjust it inwards until it touches the mechanism,turn the car off then adjust the throttle cable back so when you press the throttle pedal to the floor the little flap that moves is dead vertical so you can see right in (like below) put the spring clip back in and start the car should be idleing perfect. thats what i did on my old 1.2 i had years back and worked a treat

its easier to do than explain :eek::eek:

img46351fc3.jpg

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
many thanks for the replys guys! much appreciated.

Rockerz182 : The last owner before me must of broke that clip! which is why it is dam cable tied! guess that could be the reason? ill get a new clip and try it.

172lover : Yeah thanks for the link ill have a look now

Struggler : Im not sure i have a tps but i think i do have a ICV however before i changed the carb it used to idle but it went up and down like it was grunting. Now it just doesnt idle at all. The original carb i had on the car was apparently injecting to much fuel and flooding the engine...the bloke said it looks like the car was set up to be raced and to get a new carb. this new one i got is injecting a lot less fuel. but looks like enough.

many thanks for the replys guys! much appreciated.

Rockerz182 : The last owner before me must of broke that clip! which is why it is dam cable tied! guess that could be the reason? ill get a new clip and try it.

if its all cable tied up thats your problem mate! only takes a few mm play each way and you will have idleing problems.

Last edited:
  Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
Update: Changed throttle cable and adjusted it like Rockerz said, Changed ht leads, changed coil pack, changed distributer cap and re-checked spark plugs. YEt still the same problme.

I have played with that screw rockerz was on about above. ive screwed it as far out towards the mechanism as possible yet still no different!

Any ideas? i have literally run out of patience with it. :'(

Black Clio GT
fuel pump/ blocked fuel filter??
have you cleaned the carb properly and fitted new gaskets/checked all the vacuum hoses are connected with the one you changed over??

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
Yes properly cleaned the carb and throttle body, done gaskets, all hoses are connected and no cracks/splits. Theres fuel coming out from the single point injector into throttle body so surely pump is working right?

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
been told it might be the lambda sensor causing the no idle, however the car does not have one on it :s ideas??

has it got a manual choke on it? (little handle you pull out below the indercator stalk)

Last edited:
Nah mate it hasnt...

without seeing the car i couldn't pin point anything really, apart from get your old carb if you still have it and compare things to make sure there is no parts missing: springs,clips, plastic bushes etc..:S

where are you based??

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
birmingham, kings norton. I still have old carb and throttle body and looking at the two i dont think theres any difference... Very confused. Im starting to think weather a new engine and loom would be more beneficial. :'(

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
the only way i can get it running is by holding the accelrator down whilst turning the key otherwise it wont start. But when i do get it running yes it does rev freely but if i hold the pedal and get it to stay around 12 on the rev gauge it just looses power and dies, even when i put my foot strate back down on the pedal.

if that makes sence lol

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
went out today and had a play about wiht the carb set up and throttle body. had a thought, strip it all back down and start again. So started car, same problem, so began stripping it down, found a bit of petrol seeping through the gasket. the one where the throttle body meets the inlet manifold. could this be the reason?

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
Ok... big thanks to rockerz who came down to see the car! new spark plugs and a few tweeks here and there, but yet still same problem. Been told it may be the ECU :'( which leaves the dilemma of breaking it or sticking a new lump in..

Ok... big thanks to rockerz who came down to see the car! new spark plugs and a few tweeks here and there, but yet still same problem. Been told it may be the ECU :'( which leaves the dilemma of breaking it or sticking a new lump in..

that has mind boggeld me mate, i would'nt stick a new engine in as it will cost you a fair wack to get it through an mot as it stands now:(

your best option is to get the wheels sold and steering wheel and there will be some chav some where who will buy the body kit.

on my old valver i paid £400 for it and spent near enough £3k getting it back to good condition and at that it was not perfect.

it went through 1 jb3 gearbox and a jc5 wiliams box ended paying out for a 172 box in the end on top of a new clutch, driveshafts,

wishbones ,steering rack, new track rod ends,full front and rear brake setups and rear calipers, full service,starter motor,aux belt ,welding,getting the emissions right etc...etc

alot of the listed was just to get an mot on it, thats before i bought coilovers and new tyres and things.

it would have cost a lot more but i done it all apart from the welding so i saved a fortune on labour costs. trust me cut your losses mate and try and get the money back you have layed out so far.

heres a few pics of my old valver wish i had kept hold of it now:(

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

No offence but forget C16v - Head over to Retro-Renault. When you've signed up for a free account speak to a guy called ChrisH - What he doesn't know about the Energy engines isn't worth knowing! Just a word of warning though, don't BS him as he doesn't suffer fools gladly but I promise you he'll sort you out!

Mick

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
Rockerz - Thats a sweet clio you had there! im still not sure what to do. Ive advertised that im breaking it on a few sites, and lookd at new lumps and bloody hell they aint cheap! looking like breaking it is the only way to go.

MicKPM - Thanks for the site, ive joined up on the forum and found chrisH profile but i cant seem to find how to PM him :s

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Click >>here<< to open the New PM window (sign in if required) then type "ChrisH" in the recipients tab... then "send" to message him.

Tell him I sent you over for advice then he'll proceed to lay in to me and help you out where possible - honestly though the guy is one of the few people that i'd trust to work on my cars without me having to look over his shoulder constantly. He helped me get my Gordini Turbo running after +10yrs of being sat rotting away at the side of a garage in Kendal and he came from Glasgow to lend a hand so a genuinely top bloke. As I said before though he's very blunt and always to the point so if he calls you a "Wee neddy bastid" for not listening to what he's said don't take it overly personally... its just his shoot from the hip attitude towards everyone!

Mick

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
just tried your link mate and it says

mk1leeRT, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. You probably need Subscriber status in order to view this content. For details of how to become a subscriber of Retro-Renault please click here.
  2. Alternatively, the Administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
:s

172 cup
fuel pressure regulator? not 100% if that model will have one but had over fueling problems on my old f7p and was that

Mk3 1.6 Dynamique S
I had the same problem as you when I had my Mk1 Clio, the problem was when I changed the throttle body it was the wrong one I got. The difference was on the side of the throttle body there is a plug on the side with 4 pins but the original one that didn't work only had 3.
Will the car idle when the engine has warmed up?

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
no mate it doesnt idle at all and now it wont start - almost as if theres no spark. I bought new spark plugs so it cant be them. Which makes me think its a timing fault? which leads me to believe the ECU may be at fault?? could that be right??

Mk3 1.6 Dynamique S
I wouldn't have thought it would be a timing issue if the car was running before so it could possibly be the ECU but I'm really not sure. Sorry I cant give you more help.

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
ok i changed the throttle position sensor and still no bloody joy!!! :mad: the car is seriously beginning to piss me off. now the NEW carb i put in is over fuelling too - the same as the one i took off. whats causing this?

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
i went out this morning and tried to start it and now the NEW carb is over-fuelling. the same problem the last one had. so whats causing it?

when i UNPLUG the red connector to the single point injector (so no fuel goes down the throttle body) the ca will start and idle fine untill it runs out of fuel.

so i tried it again and it started and idled and then i plugged in the red connector and it cut out instantly. Ideas??

im baffled.

Mk1 1993 1.4 RT
ok i changed the ECU this morning. Started the car and bingo idle fine and started fine.. however took for a drive round the block and everytime i dip the clutch to change gear or come to a junction it drops dramatically and stalls. i try to start back up but wouldnt untill around half our later. ????