ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 Clio track day conversion

96 Clio Mk1
Basically I am driving a clio mk1 96, have been driving for just under a year now and I love the look and idea of making it a mk1 track car. I was interested in other peoples opinions and advice on whether this is a good idea, financially, due to my age, performance wise, and just any kind of advice or opinion you think would help me!

thanks!

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Not worth it unless you're going to drop a better engine in there imo, but probably cheaper to buy a 1.8 16v & get that done up for track work

you need to decide if you're willing to spend the time, money & effort required to make your 1.2 into a viable track toy or to go & get a better Mk1 to begin with and make that your track toy

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Assuming your age is pretty low, therefore insurance on anything like a 1.8 valver clio will probably bankrupt you ? How about finding a cheap one to do up / turn into track ****, then get your mum/dad/anyone else over 40 to insure it cheaply to drive it to the track for you, or share as a project/track car...?

You don't need to be insured on a car on the track (AFAIK) as it's not the public road.

96 Clio Mk1
Not worth it unless you're going to drop a better engine in there imo, but probably cheaper to buy a 1.8 16v & get that done up for track work

you need to decide if you're willing to spend the time, money & effort required to make your 1.2 into a viable track toy or to go & get a better Mk1 to begin with and make that your track toy

I have seen a guy on here with a 2.0 Turbo 16v that would be great. I had thought it would then be best to get a 1.8 williams and do it to that, as you said its not worth it on a 1.2.

have any of you guys done this type of project your self, how is it when you come to selling a track car in the future?

E36 M3. 182
there are a fair few mk1 project threads in......... The Project section!!!!
If insurance is an issue, maybe get yourself a 'well used' valver or williams, and take it off the road, That gives you all he time in the world to get it done to a good standard.
Apparently you can still have a good laugh with a 1.2 on track, so maybe use that as a daily drive, do the odd trackday in it, while building your project car??