ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Engine Hunting - Help

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Ive got my clio mk1 phase 3.
So it should be a SPI engine 1.2l.

Now, the car runs perfect when i just jump in and drive it.

The problem arrises when i start the car up when its been driven, then start it up again to go somewhere else.

The car starts to hunt(as a friend said), but the car starts to rev up and down, with the lights flicking, head lights, interior lights, rear lights.

Ive turned off all my stereo, my amp, my sub, and the heaters.

The car drives a bit like this.
1st - 10mph, 2nd - 20mph, 3rd - 30mph, back down to 2nd to keep the car at 20mph again, 3rd - 30mph, then 4th - 40mph, then 5th - 40mph.

Each time i have to change gear is when the car almost lags in power. No matter how hard i press the pedal the car hits each barrier.

Ive had this problem emerge from a few months back, but now its got worse.

Please help.

Thanks.

Clio Mk2 DCI 68
Firstly Im no expert on spi or the common problems on this type of engine. Try anything you can. For example, fuel filter, plug leads, faultyblocked injetor, missing/loose vacuum pipes from manifold, brake servo leaking so engine sucking in un-metered air and running lean, splits in hoses, temp sensor and tdc sensor connections. I am sure there is more to check-much more, but this at least will get you started. Try disconecting battery for an hour as well. Good luck, anyone else with more experience care to help our friend out?

MERCEDES CLS AMG
I would try the engine temp sensor to start of with - then the coil pack and last of all the TDC sensor. It will be one of those 3

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
I checked the HT leads, now one was slightly not plugged onto the spark plug. So i plugged it back on, and it seemed ok, now the drive was exatcly the same with the power loss situation.

I was also told that i could get some carb cleaner and clean the air filter out.

Im getting some new Bosch Super 4 Spark Plugs, new HT leads, rotor arm and a distributor cap.
Would this benefit me at all?

clio 1.4RT
i have the exact same problem but with a 1.4rt.

i used to have a peugeot 205 gti and when this happened i had to clean out the throtel bodie as it would be gormed up with dity crap.

could this be the same with my little r reg clio???

M

mini-valver

Coolant temp sensor. Change that before you buy anything else, cheap as fook and peice of piss to fit.

Skoda Fabia vRS
coolant temp sensor is a very common problem, genuine one from Renault is about £9, worth a go, if it isnt causing your problem its probably buggered anyway lol

if you leave the car to idle does it start to 'chug' after idling fine for about 30 seconds, if it does its probably the lambda sensor

M

mini-valver

You'll also notice a drop in MPG if it's the coolant sensor. The ECU has a cold start map on it and whenever the sensor shows the coolant as being cold, this is used as a pose to the normal running map. Like an automatic choke....

Fiesta, Asta, Clio
I got the same problem with my 1.4rt mk1 ph3, i change throttle body, map sensor, ecu, on the way doing the fuel filter (but i dont know how to get it off), i was told by a friend with similar experience and renault changed his coil pack, so a refurbished coil pack is on the way, my ht leads looks fine. hopefully it does work, but i feel wot u mean 'rctempire' and all this attempt is by a mechanic 'stupid mechanic'. now i got a throttle body for sale since i dont need it.

Fiesta, Asta, Clio
if you got an aftermarket mushroom filter on then put your old air box and either performance panel filter back on and you'll see the difference, i did it and it works