ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 Octavia VRS, Lemon Yellow

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Well it appears I am now a Skoda owner.

After the unreliability and painful running costs of my BMW 330ci, I decided it was time to go back to VAG. For the money, MK1 VRS' seemed to be a bit of a bargain when you think about it. MK4 GTI with more power, more practicality and due to the nature of the brand they tend to be better looked after as well!

So, I started looking. I knew what I really wanted was something that had done below 100k, and preferably yellow. I thought this was a little unrealistic until I stumbled upon this Gem on eBay!

17164355470_4fa4147c68_z.jpg

After trying to contact the very busy owner about prices and what he'd take in cash to end the auction early, a very agreeable price was mentioned and that was it. I was on a train from my home town of Bicester, all the way to Bognor. When I got there I wasn't disappointed at all.

17325951466_abbaaf0584_z.jpg

The very nice chap was the 2nd owner, and he'd had it for 11 years. In that time, he'd kept just about every receipt you can think of, all the old tax discs and had it serviced only by Skoda Main Dealers. The car itself had only covered 86k which for the age is well below average, and in the last year its barely covered 5k.

17325947396_62d26dbfba_z.jpg

As well as it having lovely original things like a full tool kit, luggage net and full size spare alloy, he also threw in another full size spare into the deal for a bit of extra cash. Happy days!

16731658513_4b2f7cfe9f_z.jpg

16731655283_3d76a2026d_z.jpg

I love buying cars like this. The owner reminded me of myself, in that he's taken pride in his car and always spent extra where he can to keep it mint. Little things like respraying the plastic parts as to stop the dreaded paint fade, making sure the car has a set of GOOD matching tyres etc etc.

I've already sorted its first modification, a new stereo (since I wanted iPod connectivity, and bluetooth hands free). I'm quite particular in audio quality, so it had to be an Alpine unit. As for the door speakers, they'll be upgraded with some sound deadening and probably 4 JL components from the TR range.

I'm looking at remapping it, but other than a KandN filter its totally standard at the moment. Due to the fact it will be a custom written remap, I may wait until I have my exhaust guy sort me out with something a little more free flowing, although not too loud!

Anyway, I await the "Grandad" "Skip" "Taxi" jokes haha.

mk1 Octavia VRS
I've had my mk1 VRS for nearly 4 years and covered over 50k miles in it. It's a great all round car and hasn't needed much other than age/mileage related wear and tear.

Worth joining up on Briskoda.net if you haven't already.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
You've found what looks a nice standard car. As said, I wouldn't Barry it with an exhaust and stuff but it's not my car at the end of the day.

53 Clio's & counting
Buy a new OEM recurc dump valve (As they crack and leak), a new coolant temp sensor and new coolant bottle top.

Standard VAG stuff, they will all be failing if they have not been replaced.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I think you all have a good point. The only reason I was tempted to alter the exhaust is there's already a broke centre bracket, and I like to replace OEM or improve really. Still brilliant as it is.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I think a map would be perfectly sensible.

They're aren't worth a great deal so it's not like he will be ruining a classic.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
No lowering on this. Need to go through the receipts and find out all the stuff that's been done, I know it's had various sensors done and at one point had the throttle body replaced. Skoda also put new coil packs in at the last service.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Nice. Looks a tidy example to. Two or three Mk1s around my way, all black. Prefer that yellow to the yellow that was available on the Mk3.

53 Clio's & counting
they are 180bhp mate (AUQ) but they have a 5 speed box where as the Mk4 Golf with the AUQ has a 6 speed.

53 Clio's & counting
yes and no, you could spec a 'standard' GTi with the 180bhp AUQ engine and 6 speed if you wanted to, but they are rare - in my 11 years with the brand I can think of about 5 I saw.

The Anni's came with either the AUQ or the 150bhp ARL Diesel lump

The rest of the Mk4's were 150bhp but had various engine codes, from the top of my head:

AGU - Early big port head and 20mm gudgeon pins, cable throttle with a Ko3
ARX - Early non-big port with FBW throttle and Ko3
AUM - mass produced FBW with k03s
AUQ - 180bhp with Ko3s

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Im a little bit on the fence with the colour. Part of me think yes its a bit in your face and why not. The other part of me feels it looks like it should have Dogs trust livery on it.
dogstrust_news_zpsqkiyh3tj.jpg

That aside it looks like you've found a cracking car with good history
Good luck with it...

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Im a little bit on the fence with the colour. Part of me think yes its a bit in your face and why not. The other part of me feels it looks like it should have Dogs trust livery on it.
dogstrust_news_zpsqkiyh3tj.jpg

That aside it looks like you've found a cracking car with good history
Good luck with it...

LOL! If anyone on here has been to Bournemouth (I'm there nearly every week visiting my better half at uni) you'll know the taxis are all painted exactly the same colour as mine. A lot of them are Octavias too.

It is a bit of an "out there" colour, that's probably why I like it so much!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
A car i was looking at a while ago. They are a bit marmite (girlfriend gave me that look when i showed her a pic of one) but they are cracking value for money. Not sure i would have gone for mellow yellow, prob the usual black or red. Looks nice though mate

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I love it Jason. It's great for the kind of car that it is.

Oh and Yellow is for heroes, although that Yellow always looked too pale for me.

I like the plans. Exhaust isn't a bad idea if a part needs replaced anyway.

I really like it.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
As I've said already on facebook etc, great cars. My Dads was ace he also had that mapped and it was quick I think it was 230 after the map (don't qoute me on that). Just do what Russ said, get exhaust done if you want but try and get a similar tip to whats on it (as standard looking as possible) then map it.

Awesome cars.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I love it Jason. It's great for the kind of car that it is.

Oh and Yellow is for heroes, although that Yellow always looked too pale for me.

I like the plans. Exhaust isn't a bad idea if a part needs replaced anyway.

I really like it.

Well my thoughts are I may as well upgrade if it's starting to go. The tip is starting to corrode as well.

As I've said already on facebook etc, great cars. My Dads was ace he also had that mapped and it was quick I think it was 230 after the map (don't qoute me on that). Just do what Russ said, get exhaust done if you want but try and get a similar tip to whats on it (as standard looking as possible) then map it.

Awesome cars.

Remap will go to about 200bhp on the AUQ lump so I've been told. Limited by the turbo and internals. As for the exhaust, I always try to keep it looking OEM (did this on my Mazda and my Golf) and also try not to make it much louder. Although it's currently silent on the Skoda haha. As above it'll make the tip look nicer if it's not rusty too!

Listerine & Poledo
Keeping an interested eye on this.
small VAG saloons keep propping up my "next car" list.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Thanks to Oxford Car Audio the Lemon now has some JL Audio TR's for the doors. And a s**t load of sound deadening, along with a new wiring kit for my old sub. However, me being me I wanted to fit it myself. So now I have many cuts.

I've started to compile a list of stuff that I want to do in the next month or two before I drive it on our little Euro trip.
- Polybushed lower arms (these are common to go)
- New Discs and pads all round, tempted by GreenStuff but not sure I'll need it!
- Looking at the recirc dump valves @Russ_16v is there any reason you'd choose an OEM item over one of the Forge ones?

mk1 Octavia VRS
It's only really the rear bushes in the lower arms that go. Mine were replaced with TT bushes which are stiffer but not overly so like poly bushes might be.
Brakes are quite cheap to replace - I'd stick with pagid/mintex/Brembo (whichever is cheapest) and you won't go far wrong.
Not 100% on the OEM dump valves as I haven't replaced mine but I'm sure the OEM one is good enough for a stage one remap and they are more fit and forget than a forge one (also cheaper I think!).

Think a stage one remap on these usually gives about 210bhp but also makes the car feel more lively lower down the revs. The turbo runs out of puff at high revs and it starts to feel a bit flat.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I know its not the Octavia but when we had the Cupra K1 we replaced it for a Forge recirc and it was just a better piece of kit and half the bloody weight. Food for thought.

53 Clio's & counting
Thanks to Oxford Car Audio the Lemon now has some JL Audio TR's for the doors. And a s**t load of sound deadening, along with a new wiring kit for my old sub. However, me being me I wanted to fit it myself. So now I have many cuts.

I've started to compile a list of stuff that I want to do in the next month or two before I drive it on our little Euro trip.
- Polybushed lower arms (these are common to go)
- New Discs and pads all round, tempted by GreenStuff but not sure I'll need it!
- Looking at the recirc dump valves @Russ_16v is there any reason you'd choose an OEM item over one of the Forge ones?

Get the polybushes through me! :)
Don't go greenstuff - in my experience they don't work well with heavier cars

The standard one can handle light power upgrades (A mate has an AUM bora with 235bhp on Rtechs rollers (very conservative) and has been running a standard DV the past 20k with no issues) and is very cheap - win win.

also only go recirc - these engines don't work well with atmospheric dump valves as the engine expects the extra air to be there.

Also the k03s will get close to 240bhp if you have a good one but it will be at it's limit.

A remap on it's own should get you to around 215bhp - swap an exhaust, decat, 3 inch down pipe and solid boost hoses and you will see around 235bhp.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
As Russ says. I pushed the best part of 250 from my K03s. That really was it limits though. It was between 240-250 depending on the rollers.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
What went wrong with your 330ci? Mines has been faultless

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Had a pretty good weekend on the banana. First job in the week was fitting a set of TT lower arm bushes, complete transformation from the fucked ones as you'd expect! Also replaced the engine temp sensor with a genuine item due to some running issues, and fitted a forge recirc 007p. Just because my friend took it off one of his turbos on his S4. Car runs much better now so very happy! Have a genuine thermostat to change before I go away as well.

17623519950_75799850d7_z.jpg

Went to the local scrappy looking for mk4 gems. There was a well specced Elegence estate there, so got a few bits for both me and my mums TDI estate.

Front arm rest was something I've been missing, so feel pretty lucky finding an Octavia one in pretty good nick (was caked in dog hair mind you). Nice easy fit as well, made sure to get all the brackets and bolts from the scrapper.

17811531451_4a2e187df3_z.jpg

17624829229_fd5cb40211_z.jpg

Also picked up the interior trimmings as I want to experiment with different wraps/colours. Another nice addition I'm working on is soft close grab handles, stole some grey ones off of one of the many MK4 Golfs in there, and instead of butchering them for the soft close catch I'm going to try spraying them. So far they look pretty good using "rubberised black" enamel spray from halfords.

17811518851_6ad66ed6de_k.jpg

As for new parts, lovely Cupra R splitter turned up form TPS. Love it now it's fitted!

17784769776_0d5a330c26_z.jpg

17190715413_f0467560f5_z.jpg

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
TPS are right assholes around my way and will only sell to traders no matter how hard you try. :(
Checked all the hoses under the inlet mani for leaks? They are a nightmare for it.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
TPS are right assholes around my way and will only sell to traders no matter how hard you try. 😧
Checked all the hoses under the inlet mani for leaks? They are a nightmare for it.
Yeah can't seem to find anything at the moment, and it has receipts for a few of them being replaced a couple of years back.

As for TPS, I also got my parts at cost price +10%. It's who you know I guess... Haha. TPS Have always sold to me anyway, all the ones I used had customer counters etc. you must have an arsehole one or something lol.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
What went wrong with your 330ci? Mines has been faultless
Not sure where to start really. You know when a car has too many "Niggles" and you're just adding them all up in your head and its getting you down? Like every time I drove it I had that. Plus the fact that they are hideously flawed cars anyway. Really do put my research in when buying cars, so looked for common faults on them. Hence why I got that Red one, the Vanos had been done, the subframe wasnt cracked, it had barely any rust etc etc. However, after owning one I realise the list of common faults is horrendus. It let me down a few times and just seemed to find a new way of costing me every month. My £330 Alfa 156 was genuinely more reliable.