ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 Phase 3 RSI wheels, 14's What brakes? Biggest? Best? HELP!

94' Valver F4R'd
Hi!
Looking at doing a conversion on my MK1 phase 3, but need some info on brakes! What are the biggest/best brakes I can fit under my 14's? Do the williams ones fit straight onto my car? in the wheels too? Do I NEED the rear beam changed to Disc?
rsz_2dsc02085.jpg
Help much Appreciated guys! :)

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
i dont think you will fit the valve/williams brake set up under 14" wheels,

no you dont NEED the rear beam to be changed... but drums are seriously uncool

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Me again! We swapped to discs on Daves turbo at the back but for the valver we didnt bother. TBH its a purely cosmetic thing, drums work just as well but, imo, more reliably on the back

94' Valver F4R'd
Just trying to save money tbh, dont need new wheels if I can avoid it... although some Turinis or Willy wheels could look EPIC.
Think im going to keep the drums when I convert it, too much hassle and money, The're hammerited black so not so noticeable :)

Thanks Guys! :)

Rb 182
Drums are better for the back, like John said we swapped to discs on the back of my turbo for the look tbh.

000_0398.jpg

Racking my brains i'd say No they wont fit. Swapping onto 15's wouldn't be too dear and the tyres are cheaper with more of a choie to boot.

I had some megane wheels on mines. Looked pretty good for £50

Photo0053.jpg

Also the more i think about it. The calipers for the 5Gtt, willy and clio 16v are the same, the difference is the carriers. You Could use 5 turbo carriers, that would drop down the disc size but you'd have the bigger calipers with larger piston area and better stopping power and you'd still be able to keep your 14" wheels.

94' Valver F4R'd
That looks good with disc, but Dont think its worth it :/
Yeah 195/45/15's are so much cheaper but If I go to 15's I'll want decent wheels, Williams or Turninis

So If i can pick up a set of Williams calipers for the front, 5 GT turbo Caliper carriers, what size disc should I have? Mine are currently 238mm SOLID discs. Are Williams/16/5GTT brakes for Vented Discs?

Will this pretty much bolt on and need bleeding? Do I need a new Master/slave Cylinder? Brake lines?

Sorry for asking so many questions!!! Help is so much Appreciated! Finally getting somewhere! :)

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
just to clarify Williams Calipers and 16v calipers are the same items

why not just do

16v/willy calipers carriers and discs?! Straight bolt on job

Rb 182
That looks good with disc, but Dont think its worth it :/
Yeah 195/45/15's are so much cheaper but If I go to 15's I'll want decent wheels, Williams or Turninis

So If i can pick up a set of Williams calipers for the front, 5 GT turbo Caliper carriers, what size disc should I have? Mine are currently 238mm SOLID discs. Are Williams/16/5GTT brakes for Vented Discs?

Will this pretty much bolt on and need bleeding? Do I need a new Master/slave Cylinder? Brake lines?

Sorry for asking so many questions!!! Help is so much Appreciated! Finally getting somewhere! :)

The rear dics are really not needed, i was just throwing money at mines (wish i hadn't now mind you) but keep the drums well serviced and they will do you fine.

The 5 turbo runs 238mm vented discs, so youd be the same disc size, but with a better braking force from the larger calipers.

Should just bolt on and bleed through (remember do the back as well). Use a good dot 4 brake fluid from castrol or the likes.

This is all from memory, it's been a few years since i stopped playing with mk1's.

As for getting Calipers, just look for a set of 5 turbo ones, williams, mk1 16v, 5 turbo (and i think the mk2 1.2 16v) all had the same calipers, just different carriers.

94' Valver F4R'd
Arrrgghhh... Basically I need to find someone with a Williams or Valver or MK2 PH2 and test fit my front wheels? Best way to check really... :)

Had a though the other day, What about the MK1 Clio RSI? Thats where my Wheels are from in the first place, Will those brakes be good enough?

Rb 182
I'd try for the bigger ones, i think RSI run solid discs.

They wont fit, i'm certain of it infact.

I had Rsi wheels but never used them, i'm pretty sure for the brake reason.

5gtt discs, pads, calipers and carriers would solve the problem.

94' Valver F4R'd
Ok, so Renault 5GTT Brakes would be good enough to stop my car with an F7R in it? :) Or would the MK2 1.2 brakes be better?

172/1.2/E30
Same brakes, aren't they? MK2 1.2 brakes were also used on the 1.6 16v's. With uprated pads you'll be fine i'd say.

94' Valver F4R'd
I don't have Abs currently, will my master/slave cylinders be up to the job with 5GTT brakes or do I need the whole system?

94' Valver F4R'd
Got 15x7 Williams wheels so getting 16v/Williamss calipers and carriers with 259mm vented discs :) Thanks for the help :)

94' Valver F4R'd
Thanks guys! Will put up some Photos when i've have the wheels powder coated and new rubber put on! :) Will be next month... cashflow is somewhat sh*t right now :(