ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Valver Track Car

JDM Dc2
finished the coolant yet jams??...

id put the battery in the boot while you have it off the road aswell mate, better safe than sorry

Track valver + Ibiza FR
Nope coolant isn't done yet, hopefully be done this week. Don't know what to do regarding the battery not sure if to move it or leave it where it is. With it being where it is, it saves space in the boot for when I fill it up when I've got a track day. Not sure what to do, I'll get some pictures up soon.

Track valver + Ibiza FR
I need to right one up tbh. It's more all less finished now, just need to sort out an overheating issue which is hopefully pretty simple and it'll be done.

Track valver + Ibiza FR
i was starting to think that tbh, only like one update every month lol

Come on jamie he is doing car properl not doing everything NOW NOW like you lol :rasp:

Good progress mate
when is the next update :D

Yea cheers jamie, patience never did any harm plus what's the point in getting it all done and not been able to drive it because i could only I insure it this week. It'll be just as quick as yours anyway and won't have cost half as much :rasp:

JDM Dc2
Yea cheers jamie, patience never did any harm plus what's the point in getting it all done and not been able to drive it because i could only I insure it this week. It'll be just as quick as yours anyway and won't have cost half as much :rasp:

will it? lol

gets some pics up of the car, like the new battery position etc...

Mk1 F4R
. It'll be just as quick as yours anyway and won't have cost half as much :rasp:

Itll be a car lengthe behind upto top of 4th ish and he will pull away slightly. Thats wot happend when i was behind him, not to sure from the side

Its more like a 10th of the price lol :cool:

Track valver + Ibiza FR
Time will tell, going to get some work done on the car tonight and hopefully take it for a quick drive. I'll get an update done aswell.

JDM Dc2
Itll be a car lengthe behind upto top of 4th ish and he will pull away slightly. Thats wot happend when i was behind him, not to sure from the side

Its more like a 10th of the price lol :cool:

from the line tho itll be... bye bye!! btw adam who cares about the money side??... not me

who cares who has the quicker car anyways really??...

JDM Dc2
Time will tell, going to get some work done on the car tonight and hopefully take it for a quick drive. I'll get an update done aswell.

kool! cant wait to have a passenger ride, maybe on a trackday sometime soon... did you say your doing the trackdays in november or just one of them?...

Mk1 F4R
from the line tho itll be........... bye bye!! btw adam who cares about the money side??.............. not me

who cares who has the quicker car anyways really??...........

* We got more torque standard...
* From the line itll be close,what makes urs so special from the line...
* Naff all...
* The money side, obviously not you...
* I should think you do for the money that has been put into that car......
*and.....'get to santa pod like you were always moaning about, then we will see whos is faster'
*LOL
*i rekon itl be very close 1/4 mile

Put that in your pipe and smoke it ;).................................................................................................................................................

Last edited:
  TVR Cerbera
kool! cant wait to have a passenger ride, maybe on a trackday sometime soon... did you say your doing the trackdays in november or just one of them?...

Should have put your name down for Marham then! you could have had a race on your own private runway to see who's quicker!

JDM Dc2
* We got more torque standard...
* From the line itll be close,what makes urs so special from the line...
* Naff all...
* The money side, obviously not you...
* I should think you do for the money that has been put into that car......
*and.....'get to santa pod like you were always moaning about, then we will see whos is faster'
*LOL
*i rekon itl be very close 1/4 mile

Put that in your pipe and smoke it ;).................................................................................................................................................

cba spamming jams' thread anymore tbh...

yeh wanted to come marham daz but id struggle to get the friday and the monday off aswell as the the 13th of nov, and id rather do a trackday on oulton tbh as its only 20mins from mine :D

well, its on the road :)

Saw this red valver coming towards me as I was waiting to turn right.....didnt even click, thought....'who the hell is this with a valver now'....

'oh, its jams!' LOL

Now dont break it before marham ;)

clio mk1 phase 3
saw this today (if it was this one) i was at texico garage on east lancs as he was driving down the east lancs towards leigh looked quite smart... nice and tidy

JDM Dc2
well, its on the road :)

Saw this red valver coming towards me as I was waiting to turn right.....didnt even click, thought....'who the hell is this with a valver now'....

'oh, its jams!' LOL

Now dont break it before marham ;)

lol, good news!

hows it going jams??...

Track valver + Ibiza FR
saw this today (if it was this one) i was at texico garage on east lancs as he was driving down the east lancs towards leigh looked quite smart... nice and tidy

Don't think it was me mate, you would have heard me before you saw me lol.

Thanks for all the comments people. Done quite a few more miles in it today with no problems as of yet. Had a bit of a problem the other day on the first night of driving it but that will come in the update which WILL be done tomorrow.

Jamie: I'm just going to do the renault sport trackday not the other one aswell which is a few days earlier. The one your doing though is on a friday isn't it? I would have come down but im in uni now on fridays.

Track valver + Ibiza FR
I know it’s been a while but finally I’ve done an update for the track valver.

As I said in the last update, I’ve finished putting the passenger seat in. It’s the standard seat but running with Sparco 4 point 2 inch harnesses, it’s by no means ideal but I won’t be sitting in the passenger seat so I’m not that bothered.

DSC_0996.jpg

When I bought the car the battery was installed underneath the car at the rear where the spare wheel used to be. Apparently it was put there to help the centre of gravity but surely the battery wouldn’t make that much difference if it was in the rear left of the boot. The battery wasn’t fused either so it could have been quite a fire hazard so thought it was best to move it to the inside of the car. Ideally I want to keep the boot floor clear, to make it easier when transporting the track wheel, so the only other places to put it were the front passenger footwell or one of the rear passenger footwells. I decided to put it behind the passenger seat and put it on a fused earth lead which I bought or jord (f0xy) thanks again for that mate.

DSC_0989.jpg

DSC_0990.jpg

I needed to do a few jobs in the engine bay so to make it easier I removed the bonnet and front bumper.

DSC_0984.jpg

DSC_0985.jpg

Contacted the fella I bought the car off about if he knew when the cambelt was last changed, he didn’t so thought it be a good idea so change both of the belts. Took the auxiliary belt off by loosening the pretensioner but we couldn’t get the locking mechanism of the tensioner undone so we just tried to force the tensioner loose and sure enough it worked. Took all the cambelt covers off with a bit of help from jord and then changed the belt for a new one and timed it up. I didn’t have a new auxiliary belt at the time so got one about a week later and put it on and tensioned it up.

As I said in an earlier update, one of the main coolant hoses had a kink in it but I didn’t know exactly why. It looked to be the right shape and go in the right direction but it which ever way I turned I, there was still a kink in it. I came to the conclusion that it was the wrong pipe. Anyway I was just looking through some of the spares I got with the car and found a virtually identical pipe so one of the previous owners must have known it was the wrong pipe, got a the right one but just never fitted it. So I drained the coolant by taking the bottom hose off the radiator. Then fitted the new hose and sure enough it fitted perfectly.

I was going to change the engine oil and filter and the oil filter is on the front of the engine block so whilst the coolant was drained I decided to take the radiator out to make changing the oil filter a lot easier.

DSC_0988.jpg

I didn’t know when the engine oil or the gearbox oil was last changed so thought it be a good idea to change them both. When I dropped the gearbox oil I found it was purple, thought it was a bit strange but anyway.

DSC_0986.jpg

DSC_0987.jpg

I dropped the old engine oil and changed the filter, I didn’t put the new oil in yet because I wouldn’t have been starting for a while and didn’t want all the oil draining to the sump and then no oil in the head when first started. I’ll just have to make sure I don’t forget to put the oil in before I start it. I don’t get to work on the car very often, maybe about 3 hours a week so if the car isn’t touched for a week it won’t cause any damage.

Now I’ve changed the oil filter I put the radiator back in and filled back up with coolant and bled the system to get most of the air out.

It was all ready to start now so put engine oil in and fire her up. Started first time with no problems, I put the wheels back on and took it down the road with no bumper or bonnet on. Neighbours gave me a few weird looks but meh! All felt well but I wouldn’t know properly until it was back on the road.

Mot on it doesn’t run out until February 2010 so got it taxed and insured and took it out for its first drive. Even though I’ve owned the car for just under 3 months, I’ve never driven it, I couldn’t get temporary insurance to drive it home from the seller and that’s the only time it was driven since first parking it on my drive. I’m used to driving a 1.2 all the time so jumping into this was quite a step. Took it down some country roads it felt great, I was on my way to my mate’s house and the battery light kept flickering every now and again, kept hearing the screeching sound, I didn’t know what it was but it wasn’t right. Trying to work out what it was I drove straight past the turning for my mates and the battery light stayed on permanently, so turned round in a petrol station and realised I had no power steering, what the hell’s going wrong here. Pulled up at my mates turned it off and all you could hear was like a kettle boiling, it wasn’t a kettle it was the coolant boiling because it overheated. So there was no power steering, no alternator and an overheating issue, then the penny dropped, the alternator water pump and power steering pump are all run off the auxiliary belt. Had a look at the belt and it was still there but it was beginning to slip off, there was just no tension in the belt. The tensioner must have loosened itself. I didn’t have any tools with me so couldn’t fix it and I wasn’t that far from home anyway. Went and bought a tow rope from a local petrol station and my mate who’s house I was at towed me home and pushed it back on to the drive where it originally started.

Had a look at the weekend and sure enough the tensioner had come loose. When I’d tensioned the belt originally I hadn’t tightened the locking mechanism so whilst I’d been pushing it round the country roads it had worked its way loose and stopped running the auxiliarys. Tensioned it back up and made sure it was securely locked into place. Started it up again and all was well and I’ve done about 100 miles in it since and still all running fine.

My new tool to get me out of some holes which will be staying in the car from now on

DSC_0991.jpg

DSC_0992.jpg

DSC_0993.jpg

Just like to say thanks to jord (f0xy) for helping me with a lot of things and BRUN at renault for getting me some parts.

M235i / 172
Just read the lot... Looking good mate :)

I'm looking for a mk1 at the min to do the same as you are so hopefully soon there will be yet another stripped mk1 valver/williams/172 ;)

Good update.

"The sound of a kettle boiling", just LOL.

Too bad you didnt get any pics of the cambelt change eh, all them riggy rig ups to remove the covers haha!

Track valver + Ibiza FR
Good update.

"The sound of a kettle boiling", just LOL.

Too bad you didnt get any pics of the cambelt change eh, all them riggy rig ups to remove the covers haha!

Yep, drilling holes in arches to be able to get sockets through to undo one fuckin bolt!

Have I earned my rig up racing stick? I need one before Marham

Looking good mate, still got to see it yet

Cheers fella, I'll probably be out in it friday night if it's still working because I might take it to uni on friday to take it for a long run on the motorway.

/\ me too, i love this colour too.

did you replace the belts with the engine in the car?

Yep changed all the belts in the car, bit tricky but just take off the top engine mount and put a jack under the sump and its just a matter of lifting and lowering the jack to find the easiest way of getting to things. Sounds easy but its a bit of a ballache, still a lot cheaper than taking it to a garage.

Track valver + Ibiza FR
Well it was only a matter if time before something came off, luckily it was only the windscreen seal the part that was held in with silicone. It came if when I reached quite a high speed on a private runway. Went to jords last night and sealed it back in with some tiger seal so we'll see how that holds it. Nothing a bit of gaffa tape can't fix in the short term.

2002 Clio Expression
I know this is a seriously old post, but a HUGE percent of Clio's suffer from this floppy gearknob issue and I was just interested if you had the name and if possible where you bought the bush for the bottom of the gear linkage bush? Thanks very much sorry I am new to CS and I just saw this great post.. Cheers again..

Track valver + Ibiza FR
No problems mate, you can get all the bushes you need to cute the problem from your local dealers. I don't have the part numbers to hand but your best bet is probably asking on clio16valver.net. Any more problems feel free to PM me.

Chav Rocket
i know the one you mean, you need the bush and a circlip. ill look for the P/N if you still need it.

Track valver + Ibiza FR
The main bush that cures the problem are the two red ones that go at the bottom of the stick, it's the connection between the stick and the gear linkage.