ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 1.2 Grande, Power steering?

Renault Clio 1.2
I have just bought a second hand Clio 1.2 Grande on a "V" plate. It appears to be in good condition and has low mileage (33,000). I bought it from a dealer and he told me it had a new drivers door and it has no power steering. On looking on the internet I cannot see any examples of Clios of my year and type which have neither power steering or central locking. Could it not have central locking because of the replacement door? Can the power steering unit be removed and conventional steering be then used?

Renault Clio 1.2
I am beginning to be suspiscious of this car. It seems in very good condition and runs really well but there was no service history with it. I went to pay the balance to the garage and asked to see the log book and the manager said he had sent it off that morning. I said I should have signed part of it and he said he got his wife to do that and it shall come back to me with the changes. But like I said it seems to run really good and if feels like it may have only done 33,000 although I have not had a chance to have a good inspection of the car yet. I am wondering if there was something in the log book he didnt want me to see. Maybe its had a new engine or is older than stated. Did the first mark 2s have power steering and central locking in the 1.2 Grande I wonder? Anyone know? Also, it only has one ignition key. He told me there is a local guy who can cut one for £40. Well, just looking quickly on the net I cannot see anyone except Renault who perform this task and charge £120- £150 to do so.

Logbook part sounds pretty shade, the garage a reputable kind of place?

Only Renault can cut and code the key to your car, you can have a key cut but it will only open the door not start the car. All clio's have power sterring, on the 1.2's it was electrical though.

Oh dear, PM me the reg and I will let you know whether it came with p/s and c/l from new, tbh though i ve never come accross a clio 2 without these attributes.
Did you HPI it?
I expect the log book said 'these vehicle has been seriously damaged and repaired' or whatever the CAT C spiel is these days in the notes section of the front cover. Nothing else to hide tbh unless he doesn't have the logbook at all.
Keys are £140 coded from Renault.

jamescolli

ClioSport Club Member
My S reg Grande 1.2 has power steering and remote central locking, sounds a little strange bud..

Clio
My s reg mk2 ph1 did NOT have power steering or central locking. i think 1998 it was phased in as an optional then when the ph2 arrived it was standard.

Nissan 350z
My R reg (1998) 1.2 Grande had both Power Steering and Remote Central Locking. I was under the impression these were standard and not optional on all Mk2?

Having been PM'd the reg I can confirm that the vehicle when new did not come out of the factory with central locking or powersteering, I can only assume it is a base model.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i thought grande meant, 'cut above the base model'

mine came with pas and central locking,
leccy windows too :D, no abs tho,

ive encountered a ph1 with none of those before, it was an RN tho

fishy, when the log book comes back it should have if its a grande on it,

Renault Clio 1.2
I LOOKED IN A HAYNES MANUAL IN HALFORDS TODAY AND THE PHOTO OF THE 1.2 ENGINE DIFFERS SLIGHTLY FROM MINE. THE EXPANSION TANK ON MINE IS TO THE LEFT OF THE RADIATOR. THERE IS NO POWER STEERING RESERVOIR BEHIND THE BATTERY AND THE PLASTIC COVER OVER THE SPARKS PLUGS WITH THE RENAULT LOGO ON IS RECTANGULAR ON MINE. THE ONE IN THE PHOTO IS WIDER AND TAPERS OFF AT THE BACK. THE REST OF THE LAYOUT LOOKS IDENTICAL THOUGH. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE ENGINE NUMBER PLATE IS LOCATED?. I CANT SEE IT.
CHEERS
TIM

Lots of Alfas
Your car has the D7F engine. They only did the grande/rn in 1.2 8v and 1.9D. The early mk2ph1s as pictured in the haynes had that engine identical to the mk1 clio. Around late 99 they changed the engine slightly by changing the spark plug cover and manifold and moving the expansion tank. So this car you are looking at has the later version of this engine. There was also a few other little things changed (there must be around 8 different version of this engine in a clio). This car you are looking at sounds like its a RN. Ive got a renault brochure for the grande and in 2000 its definatly specced as having ps/ew/cl.

Renault Clio 1.2
THANKS FOR THAT DAVEBEM, THAT WOULD EXPLAIN IT. ALTHOUGH, I DO HAVE "GRANDE" LOGOS ON THE SIDE PROTECTION PANELS FOR SOME REASON.
CHEERS.

Renault Clio 1.2
Does anyone know the cheapest that I can get a spare key cut for my newly acquired Clio mk2? It only came with one key and I know they are expensive to have duplicated. This one is not the remote locking sort, just the plain central locking one.

Lots of Alfas
Renault only I think as all Clio IIs have an immobilizer built in. They charge £110 from memory.