ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 172 gear ratios - Info needed

Can anyone give me the gear ratios and final drive ratio for the 172 please? and/or speed @ a particular rpm in each gear?

Cheers

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

Hi roamer

I can supply you with the ratios you require but I will need a bit more info. To give the correct ratios I will need the gearbox number. This is etched on the casing below the level bung at the front of the box and maybe quite difficult to read. It should be a JB5, JC5, JR5 followed by a 3 digit code. Below this will be the serial number which will be 6 digits preceded by a letter. EG C012345. Alternatively, just post your chassis number and let me do the work! The chassis number can be found on the sticker on the drivers side B post or by looking through the windscreen to the top of the dashboard on the nearside (left) It should look like this VF1CB0M0512345678 or similar!

It may take me a couple of days to collate the info - so I hope you are in no rush!

Regards

Bob

Funny, I was just hunting out the same info earlier to put into Cartest to see what performance figures it churned out. They were listed on the C of C that I was given when I bought my car. They were in decimal format though, but I believe you just do 1/d (where d=decimal) to get them in the normal x.xx:1 format.

Obviously you can get perfectly accurate figures for your gearbox number from Bob, but in the meantime, here are the converted ones from my c of c. They are for a Mk 2 172:

1st: 3.09:1

2nd: 1.86:1

3rd: 1.32:1

4th: 1.02:1

5th 0.79:1

Final drive ratio: 4.07:1

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

The figures I have from the South African Renault Site are slightly different

1st - 3.36

2nd - 1.86

3rd - 1.32

4th - 1.09

5th - 0.82

R - 3.54

Final - 4.06

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

mike. if youre interested, I have the following cars already loaded into cartest

Clio 1.4 RT (pre 98)
Clio 1.4 16V (98-2002)
Clio 16V (pre 98)
Clio Williams (gear ratios are needed. using 16V ratios for now)
Clio 172 mk1 (98-2001)
Clio 172 mk2 (2001-current)
Clio 172 Cup (2002)
Clio V6 mk1 (gear ratios also needed. using 172 ratios for now, and dimensions are out but i have those now)

Ill be adding the following soon

Clio 1.2 16V (98-2002)
Clio 1.6 16V (98-2002)

Did a drag race last night and this is the basic results over 1000m
1 - V6
2 - 172 mk1 (didnt run mk2 or Cup)
3 - Williams
4 - 16V
5 - 1.4 16V
6 - 1.4 RT

with the exception of the 2 1.4 cars, there was almost nothing in it except for fractions of a second but then we all know that "winning is winning"

Ill create a db with only Clios and let you guys have it. Would be nice then to add other performance cars and do theoretical compares

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Without the correct gear ratios, I wouldnt expect to get a very accurate result.

Maybe if one of the Willy owners could provide BobRTE with their gearbox number and well get that info

Hi Viceroy

Yes, Id be interested in the other figures. What % of weight on front wheels do you use for the 172? I opted for 60%.

Ill take my gear ratios for the 172, because they are off a Renault C of C so they will be 100% correct. They are pretty similar anyway.

Interestingly (and for the first time in cartest which usually shows cars as slower than they are) the 0-60 for the 172 comes out quicker than it should be. I got it as 0-60 in 6.6 and 0-100 in 18.4, 1/4 mile in 15.3 and Top speed of 134mph. Figures arent that bad but are a little on the quick side. Plus I well overdid the weight. I used the highest kerb weight Id ever seen for the 172 which is 1085kg and added 75kg for the driver. Every bit of official documentation lists the weight as 1035kg. Therefore I took it that with the heavier weight, it would allow for a bit of fuel.

Its funny because the 172 never feels quick to me when driving - its only when you look at the speedo and see what you are overtaking that you realise how quick it is. I breezed past an MG ZR today that was really trying, and the Clio once again didnt feel strained at all. And I only took it to 5800 - not even max power point (still trying to be a bit gentle because its new!)

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Im using 65%

worked that out from the manual

took the total kerb weight and divided it by the front weight to get 65%

I think Cartest is being purely theoretical with its outputs so in a perfect world that is what youd get. Im working in metric units though and using that the 172 has 166bhp and seems to be getting decent results