ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK2 172 - known faults to watch for

Megane225FF

I bought a used import with 17k on the clock, put another 14k on it myself so far, and its had the standard headlight washer ball fall out, drivers side windscreen trim fell off at excessive speed, then a few belts went in the engine - all replaced under warranty...

but the good far outways the bad...

TDI tyre shreader

Wouldnt let any of this put you off to be honest i had mine since 9k and in that time ive had a sensor go faulty and thats it has the usual knocking noises like axle tramp but my old focus diesel company car used to do that. Also you are hearing all the bad points here and the cars that have faults what about everyone else who hasnt had any probs? I love my clio and as of tomorrow ill be driving mine full time because i gave up my company car for it!!!

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 10 February 2005

no problems with my 172mk2 had the 4k buzz that got sorted and the airbag light on again common and easy one to fix. tbh they are pretty sound mechanically and youll only normally get odd niggles like rattling/squeaking trim etc.
dash rattles like furk, the ashtray which hides the access to the ECU rattles like crazy on mine and iv tried getting it fixed alot. Plus i find the suspension (not modded) can be poor on potholes (thanks glasgow city council for so many greatly maintained roads) but the alternator light came on my car when doing 120+ thought id furked the exhaust turned out just to be a wiring problem and was fixed, bar that my year of ownership has been ok tho nothing amazing if being honest.

Like the car but the reliability is ok nowt better. Plus budget for 300 miles from a £35 tank

i pick my 53 plate 172 cup up on friday i seriously cant wait, i dont care if it rattles untill my hair falls out it will be worth it after my test drive im sure build quality is outweighed by all the good points

just a quickie thow

does it have an alarm, cos i was led to believe dont know why that 172 cups didnt have an alarm although it has sensors in the top corners and when i pressed the middle of the key it sure seemed as thow it had one can any1 clear that up for me

apologies in advance if i sound like a goon for not knowing

Sorry - dunno where that last message came from :)

Gotta say Im stunned at the poor quality of basic parts of the 172. I have been ribbed for years about owning a Rover (even tho is a feckin quick Coupe!). Only trouble I have had is a snapped alternator belt, exhaust rattle and dreaded HGF (Head Gasket Failure) due to the radiator pissing itself all over the motorway at 70mph... ar$e!

HGF aside, the Rover has been a delight in the last 2 years. Im really concerned that owning a 172 will be a real roller-coaster affair. Highs from the performance and handling, lows from the poor trim and other bits that *keep* failling/falling off...

Im still thinking of a 172 for around £7500. If i can get one with warranty left on it all the better by the look of it!! :D Dont think there is much else I can get for that money that is new(ish) and stoopidly quick...! :)

130i, 306 hdi, vrs

only ever had two probs one was the glove box catch making the front of it rattle over bumps and second is a knocking when taking sharp left handers new shocks and bushes hasnt solved problem cv joint is next so i am told dont care as long as warranty covers it. great to own/run always get out with a smile on my face:D