ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 FRS #2

Ad

MK2 FRS
So after my well documented troubles with my first RS I collected my new one a couple of months ago. The car came fitted with a cat back miltek and a few black cosmetic parts, but otherwise it is standard.

Today was the first mod to be fitted. Montune air box lid and filter.

Before:

my6ery5a.jpg

Old scoop versus new scoop:

ny7ubava.jpg

Filters side by side: discovered it had a k&n previously fitted. The Montune filter has an inverted cone to take air from the side as well as the front scoop (see third pic):

5yhytu4y.jpg

e5e3e3eg.jpg

quhuqesu.jpg

New Montune lid fitted. This is larger than the stock lid:

qaquruhy.jpg

I'm yet to give it some beans so will report back, but it's a proven mod and I'm not expecting to go for more than 400 bhp.

Eibachs, spacers and an airtec inter cooler ready to go on next.

Good stuff. Amazing cars. Far greater than the sum of their parts.

They need tuning though. Sold as such. Wasted opportunity not to make the most from that engine.

Want!
What do these need for 400bhp?

You can achieve around 360hp from crappy high-boost remaps, but to get a nicely drivable, high revving, reliable 400hp, you're looking at around £4k. That will get you a car that drives like OEM, but moves a LOT quicker and smoother than standard.

The key thing is breathing. They need induction and 3" exhaust in order to achieve the big numbers. Cheap high boost remaps just spoil them. You need to improve the power output without having to resort to boost that the standard setup can't flow.

Want!
What do these need for 400bhp?

Cheap as possible; full exhaust, induction, intercooler, injectors and a map. May even get away with just a downpipe and decat and the standard catback.

To do it properly though you'd also be wanting an uprated inlet as they're plastic and known to fail and an uprated recirc valve as they're laughably s**t when you take them out. Then as Munson said a proper, progressive map.

You gone for a logo on your Airtec @Ad? Gen 1?

Ad

MK2 FRS
I've got a polished Airtec Stage1. The main cooling fins are actually sprayed silver with a polished intake and sides. It is second hand ( off FocusRSOC) and I cant decided what to do with it i.e paint it black or leave it silver, but i will be going for a logo (silver/Black or Black/White depending on what I paint it). I think I am going to go for Collins 370 first with:

- Collins Map
- Montune Airbox
- Airtec Stage 1
- Miltek Sports Cat, down pipe and Cat Back (Tempted to go to resonated, it's tad loud non-resonated at present).
- AS Plenum

Then later:
- Re-circ Valve
- Boost Hoses
- Injectors

Next mod I will be fitting myself is the LHD reverse (fog) lense. I have purchased this, just not got round to fitting it yet!

You can achieve around 360hp from crappy high-boost remaps, but to get a nicely drivable, high revving, reliable 400hp, you're looking at around £4k. That will get you a car that drives like OEM, but moves a LOT quicker and smoother than standard.

The key thing is breathing. They need induction and 3" exhaust in order to achieve the big numbers. Cheap high boost remaps just spoil them. You need to improve the power output without having to resort to boost that the standard setup can't flow.

Completely agree, I know DPC do a stock to 400bhp package for £3174.60 but I would change a few bits in their package which would probably take it over the £4,000.

Do you miss yours at all?

Ad, once you start it can get very addictive :D

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
More money than taste. Older people are worse than the young guys.

Ad

MK2 FRS
People do some strange things to these....

Someone on Focus RSOC is having theirs sprayed pearl white (with a pink pearl). Each to their own!

Ad

MK2 FRS
Quick mod this weekend. The matching rear fog/reverse lamp. This is a ford OEM part intended for LHD cars. Before:
IMG_0061.jpg

After:
IMG_0062.jpg

Ad

MK2 FRS
Yes... no garage or drive for us atm :(. It doesn't get driven most days either as I either train or fly now. It was the Mrs' house and we decided to stay put and move on after a couple of years of hard saving (RS included - It's a long story, but it suits us for a number of reasons including keeping this as a BTL. )

Not sure why I feel a little defensive :eek:. Everyone has their own plans, but we consciously decided not to do the in between house and do it this way, thankfully it's a dead end so no through traffic. The prospect of theft does stress me out... but then my 182 was stolen off my parents drive in a more than above average area!

Last edited:

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
OMG. Imagine parking your car on the street. You must be so poor.

Cs is great sometimes!

At what point did I say parking your car on a street made you poor? I asked the question from a theft point of view. Don't think I'd personally be comfortable to park a car of that value and risk in anywhere other than a locked garage. Suppose that is what insurance is for though.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
The way it comes across mate. I know what you mean though, and yes insurance will cover it anyway so it doesn't really matter where it's parked

Mini JCW
What was I responding to? It is my first post in this thread.

Typical braindead bandwagon jumping.

Go for a 'hoon' - it'll calm you down.

Ads - hope you're happier with this FRS than the first one? Any more plans?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
The way it comes across mate. I know what you mean though, and yes insurance will cover it anyway so it doesn't really matter where it's parked

He drives a FRS, he clearly isn't poor.

My car is parked on the road in a quiet cul-de-sac, and im the year I had my R32 it had 3 attempted thefts on the car. Hence why I personally wouldn't park any car that are desirable to steal, on a road.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
The schools are fantastic though.

Plus it isn't so much my estate, it is bottom feeders such as your selves that live a few miles down the road. Unfortunatly you congregate and breed in far too many places for my liking.

Mini JCW
The schools are fantastic though.

Plus it isn't so much my estate, it is bottom feeders such as your selves that live a few miles down the road. Unfortunatly you congregate and breed in far too many places for my liking.

You really do come across as a condescending pr*ck sometimes.

I never bothered with the foglight mod. It was never something that bothered me. I never once looked at the car and thought it needed it.

Ad

MK2 FRS
I never bothered with the foglight mod. It was never something that bothered me. I never once looked at the car and thought it needed it.

Tbh, I know what you mean. I bought it with the Montune box and filter, hence the delay in fitting it. Wasn't really a priority. It's nice, but not a must have.

Ad

MK2 FRS
On the subject of housing... it's each to their own. I learnt the hard way years ago so would'nt judge anyone. Live for now, but also live for the future. Our annual income is north of our house's value, but as I said, we have chosen to plan in a different way. Stoke has a funny reputation, I am not a Stokie, but it's a great place to live on the edge of the staffordshire moorlands and tbh, I love it and we wont move far:)

Ad

MK2 FRS
Back to the RS, I really love it. It's great not to drive it everyday, so when I do it feels so special.

They attract a such a level of interest externally, but internally its a handful, with bags of character and a joy to drive. Yes it is a bit chavy, but it's an event, which often in my corporate world is so uneventful. I worried about the image before purchase, but it seems to carry a level of respect and kudos amongst both car enthusiasts and non-car enthusiasts.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Back to the RS, I really love it. It's great not to drive it everyday, so when I do it feels so special.

They attract a such a level of interest externally, but internally its a handful, with bags of character and a joy to drive. Yes it is a bit chavy, but it's an event, which often in my corporate world is so uneventful. I worried about the image before purchase, but it seems to carry a level of respect and kudos amongst both car enthusiasts and non-car enthusiasts.

Glad you're enjoying it mate. Saw a white one this morning, plenty of road presence, I really like them

Ad

MK2 FRS
So I've only covered 2k in the RS in 6months and tbh I was considering selling it... got a pretty poor offer from RS Direct and I went on the NW Meet to North Wales last weekend:

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/de...-drive-llangollen.763461/page-3#post-10581324

I had an amazing time on the way back from Wales through Shropshire and realised why had bought it in first place, the power and poise is awesome and it's a dream to overtake with on B roads. On the 23rd the RS will be 5 years old, so it was MOT and service time. Today I dropped it off at Collins Performance and I am having a few extras added...

Pics to follow :)

Ad

MK2 FRS
So following MOT and Service collected the RS today. MOT passed with no advisories and I had Eibach springs and H&R 20mm front and rear spaces fitted. Apologies for the rubbush pics, but you get the idea for now:relaxed:.

Before:
IMG-20141213-00018.jpg

IMG-20141213-00019.jpg

After:
IMG-20141215-00020.jpg

IMG-20141215-00021.jpg

Just ticked over 29k and will be 5 years old next week.