ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK2 PH2 172 engine life?

Looking at getting my self a 172, as everyone says there a right good car.

How good are the engines, ie do they generally need major engine work after a certain mileage.

i do 20,000 miles a year so if i keep for 3 years that's 60K

will be looking at cars 30-40k so would be pushing 100k when sold on.

is 100k achievable?

Thanks

Street Triple R
Yeh I think so as long as its been properly maintained, services and belts etc there was one for sale on here a little while ago that had done about 130k I think, that was ok

100k is easy the engines are advanced Williams engine and Williams have been over 300k before now.

100k woulnd't worry me at all at the end of the day enf engine stuck in lagunas etc and there good for countless miles more likly gearbox clutch etc will go before the engine.

Over 60k they get quicker. SOme of the fastest have 60k+ on them.

Yozzas tested the abuse the stock engine will take 80k plus tones of track days he put on his engine before a manurfactuing failure caused the engine to turn itself to mangled metal. I'd say even with hard road abuse 200k is easy.

Lionel Richie
if you THRASH the hell out of them ie 30 odd track days a year, with an 8k rpm rev limit it'll last around 80k miles and then blow up big time

Clio 172 mk2
Still not bad though

I reckon they must be good for well over a 100k doing normal road use

I sold mine earlier this year with 130k + on it. Only thing that ever really failed on it was the gearbox at around 110k