ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK2 Project

Haha, I'm trying different things ;)

Nahh, I just don't want it dropping off and getting run over - better to be safe!
Welding will probably start this weekend.. Pooping myself tbh :S

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Yeah better to be safe than have a bumper in millions of pieces ;)

I'm going to commit to the pikey rokkor coilovers tomorrow *gulp* LOL

Mine have been great! A little bouncy, but hey, you can't go wrong for that price. They've not broken, and that's the main thing

Just bought some -90mm rear springs, so we'll see how that works out! Won't be able to get into college anymore. Haha :D

Ohhh thtopit :eek:

It's there, you 'nana!

5089533837_98d54545a6_z.png

That's exactly why I took mine out! I hate saying No, but I now say I can't. Win!

I thought ph3 bumper was smoothed withn no tacky plastic ?

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
I thought ph3 bumper was smoothed withn no tacky plastic ?

You're thinking of the Campus bumper, that's technically PH4 :)

renault-clio-campus.jpeg

Ok cheers, without was the camber really bad? Plus, how easy were they to fit?
I will buy some of these next week I think!

Sorry for all the questions, lol

Very easy to fit, just a case of swapping the top hub bolts on either side for camber ones.
You adjust camber by twisting them in the hub - they're shaped like a cam.
There's an amount of adjustment in the coilovers themselves, but it's
quite enough so you end up with slightly positive camber.
It's not terrible, but it certainly needs sorting!

Happy to help!
I've posted some pictures in the group buy thread IIRC, might help you out a little with fitting etc.

very nice car, i look forward to seeing the welded sport bits, i'd be absolutely shatting myself ha... if you ever feel like getting rid of those superT's give me a shout ;)

Tell me about it! If i screw this up, it's new bumper time!
I'll bear that in mind ;)

loving this! the super t's have to go silver. it's a must.

I like silver too!
I just want to be a little more adventurous.
Decided to get fork out and get them refurbed properly too - no point in it all flaking off after a month of driving...

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Very easy to fit, just a case of swapping the top hub bolts on either side for camber ones.
You adjust camber by twisting them in the hub - they're shaped like a cam.
There's an amount of adjustment in the coilovers themselves, but it's
quite enough so you end up with slightly positive camber.
It's not terrible, but it certainly needs sorting!

Happy to help!
I've posted some pictures in the group buy thread IIRC, might help you out a little with fitting etc.

Will the ones you posted in the link fit then do you think? I may as well buy them now whilst I am waiting for my coilover kit! Thanks again

I believe so. The ones i bought were definitely meant for a Vitara, and as far as i know Vitara's are all the same!
Plus if they don't fit, you can always send them back since it's an ebay shop.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Just bought the camber bolts now, cheers for the help Joey! Hopefully I can do them all at the same time.
Looking for some euro-ish wheels at the moment, so it can be very low, and very wide ;)

clio 172
orite mate, ive seen this car in driff before are you friends with oli brown by any chance?
btw the car looks ace i see it on a thursday mornin when im on my way back from bev.
wb sam.

orite mate, ive seen this car in driff before are you friends with oli brown by any chance?
btw the car looks ace i see it on a thursday mornin when im on my way back from bev.
wb sam.

Yeahh, I know Oli! He's a good lad - shame he sold his Saxo like.
Cheers! Have you got any pics of your car up? I know there's a couple of PH1's in Driff...

Last edited:
  clio 172
yeh mate its a shame he did, aint seen him in a while.
if you go on my profile theres one on there,
am on steelies at the moment as im respraying my alloys,
im out in driff most nites so if you see us just come say hi :)

yeh mate its a shame he did, aint seen him in a while.
if you go on my profile theres one on there,
am on steelies at the moment as im respraying my alloys,
im out in driff most nites so if you see us just come say hi :)

Sure, will do fella!

Love the effort on this one!

Cheers :)

Oo i thought ph3 was the campus, whats difference between ph2 and ph3 ?

They're quite similar,
Ph2:

4545988982_0925a20d76_z.png

Ph3:

5089533837_98d54545a6_z.png

Update Time:

Well, I got pretty much naff all done at the weekend due to working and being really tired; primered my bumper inserts and that's about it.

Today, though... that's a different story!
Firstly, added some colour to my inserts (kind of regretting colour-coding them now... looked better before IMO)

_G1S3342.jpg

Then the postman came with a package from David Ramsey (thanks again!).
Some -90mm springs.

_G1S3344.jpg

Those were fitted in about 10 minutes as I didn't have to remove any bolts whatsoever!

5114474094_f12099be72_z.png

5113872767_79ab3d87ce_z.png

The front could maybe do to come down a little now... lol

So, if anyone wants some adjustable rear springs, PM me!

_G1S3347.jpg

And I've made some progress with my bumper welding.
Marked everything out, ready to be cut :S

_G1S3348.jpg

_G1S3351.jpg

_G1S3353.jpg

More on that later today...
That's all for now though!

God know's whats going on with the pictures btw... Deary me.

Well, I've not taken anymore pictures as I was having a right mare with my camera, but everything is cut to shape etc. I think this might actually work! Lol.
Welding starts tomorrow!

More progress made.

Today started like:

IMAG0081.jpg

Ended like:

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

Not totally finished on that side yet, but it's certainly looking good. And it's VERY strong.
The only thing i'm worried about is that it might not fit too nicely, but we'll see!
More tomorrow...

Last edited:
  1.2 Dynamique 16v
Hope it comes off nicely mate. First time I will of come across a Clio that looks like this.

Looking forward to updates :)

Me too! If this doesn't work, I'm probably just going to give in and buy a sport bumper tbh!
I had no idea there'd be this much work involved when i started... lol! :eek:

Not much - probably £100?
Front bumper was about £75, 172 bumper bits were £15 and the repair mesh and zip ties (for filling) probably came to about a fiver!

It's just a pain in the arse really. Burning plastic stinks and is probably giving me some sort of deadly disease! lol.

Adz

Work van
great work :approve: how are u finding the custom rear springs do u get any noise from them ?

Adz

Work van
yeah the springs are so small that they have no travell
The sound is metal on metal where the coils are hitting each other im trying to wrap abit of hose pipe around the coils to stop this ill pops some pictures up and hopfuly it work lol

Ohh really??
Do you still have your rear seats in btw? mine are out and I wouldn't have thought they'd do that with no weight in that back.. Must be very soft springs!

I think I'll have a go at that actually - good idea!

1.2 Dynamique 16v
Me too! If this doesn't work, I'm probably just going to give in and buy a sport bumper tbh!
I had no idea there'd be this much work involved when i started... lol! :eek:

In that case I really hope you achieve the look your after. It'll definately set the car apart from all the other modded non-sports!

When do you think you'll have it welded toegther and sprayed (ready for pics :))

clio mk2 1.6 16v
really good thread like what your doing with the bumper, hope you can pull it off tbh!! will look forward to seeing more. nice clean looking car though..=]

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Care to share your secret in spraying you done a lovely job with your spoiler, was that done with tins ? If so how many coats of each did you do? Chhears

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Rear springs are ruining it for me, just looks broken and silly, also, what with them not being on the seats, if you hit a bump, what is there to stop such a small spring just falling out?

The bumper work however looks amazing, really impressive.

Love the dedication and unique idea.

In that case I really hope you achieve the look your after. It'll definately set the car apart from all the other modded non-sports!

When do you think you'll have it welded toegther and sprayed (ready for pics :))

Me too! I now understand why nobodys really attempted it before! LOL.

Ermm.. I should get the other side completed tomorrow, so I'll have a trial fitting sesh when that's done - see if i have c**ked up!
spraying usually takes a weekish, just so the lacquer can set properly and i can get a wet sanding sesh in.

really good thread like what your doing with the bumper, hope you can pull it off tbh!! will look forward to seeing more. nice clean looking car though..=]

Cheers dude :)

Care to share your secret in spraying you done a lovely job with your spoiler, was that done with tins ? If so how many coats of each did you do? Chhears

Yeah, just halfords rattle cans!
3-4 coats of each layer. Leave the lacquer to set for a week then wet sand it with 2-3000 grit paper, then machine polish :)

Rear springs are ruining it for me, just looks broken and silly, also, what with them not being on the seats, if you hit a bump, what is there to stop such a small spring just falling out?

The bumper work however looks amazing, really impressive.

Love the dedication and unique idea.

Fair play, the springs are a little silly and not for everyone. Perhaps with 16" wheels it may look a little better, as the current wheels are gash!
Remeber though, it is just a 1.2... When/if I have the opportunity to F4R it, it will have a proper set up - Trophy tractor spec! lol

But cheers like :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I just think it looked bang on before, I think you'll agree and put the springs back on within a month ;)

I have a question for you related to home spraying, primer and paint are easy, but you say you wet sand and then machine polish.... I'm assuming this is the lacquer.

When I lacquer part's at home, it just goes one of two ways. Too much lacquer and the colour underneath suffers, too little, the colour looks sweet but it's orange peel city... Do you have the orange peel effect at first and then just sand it off?