ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK2 Project

I think i probably will tbh! But I need to try it and get it out of my system - I'm still young and naive. Lol

Yeah, that's the lacquer.
Do lots and lots of light layers, so it goes orange peely, then when you wet sand go from 2000 to 2500 then finally 3000 and it becomes like a dull mirror. And then obviously polish and seal to finish.
I only just worked it out when I did my spoiler! If you cake all the lacquer on all in one or two coats, 9 times out of 10, it'll run and spoil it.

Rear springs are ruining it for me, just looks broken and silly, also, what with them not being on the seats, if you hit a bump, what is there to stop such a small spring just falling out?

The bumper work however looks amazing, really impressive.

Love the dedication and unique idea.

Just got what you meant about that! LOL.
I haven't taken the spring seats out - i meant the passenger seats! :eek:
They're cable tied in atm, so not going anywhere.

The plastic fumes are clearly getting to my head...

Update:

Basically, it's not goint to work!
The join just isn't strong enough because the bumper is being twisted in an awkward way to fit it.
Plus, the fitment isn't great. The bumper sticks out about an inch too far - so there's almost a gap between the headlights.

Gutted tbh.

Ah, well - I'll just have to make a decent Rep. Ugh.

Last edited:
Blurgh.

5120006701_cc3b2a9afb_z.png

On the plus side, trial fitted my SuperT's... Perfect fitment? LOL

5120610316_d94c1294dd_z.png

5120608454_63cdfec772_z.png

5120005733_0902184071_z.png

5120609566_5f0dfbb5b3_z.png

I think i need the arches rolling...

Fiesta ST-3
I usually hate those wheels with a passion but look alrite on yours. Gutted about the bumper situation but well played for having a go at it :)

I agree! They'll do for a while until I can fund some decent, probably brand new wheels.

It could have been worse i guess - didn't end up spending toooo much on it. But I'm happy I had a fair old try!
Oh well - Sport kit now, onwards and upwards :)

Adz

Work van
take a hammer to the rear arch lip and bash the lip around works fine only problem is that the paint flakes off but you get that if you have your arches rolled lol its all about saving ££££££ ;)

Adz

Work van
ive done it and it turned out ok did the job just need to get it resprayed a little where the paint flaked off :eek:

1.2 Dynamique 16v
argh. thats disappointing. shame its not worked properley :(

well done for having a crack at it though!

Yeah! I'm pretty disappointed tbh.
It's just one of those things...
Could probably be done a different way somehow - but i've had enough of buying new bumpers etc!

Never mind. At least the rest of ClioSport now knows how much of a pain in the bum it is.

Arch Rolling

Great success! (Pain in the ass to try and photograph though.)

5123624474_44e484d078.png

Thing is, it still rubs on the rear bumper! Time to get the sander out...

5123022583_caa9465706_z.png

Also, I think I've managed to source a Sport bumper too which is nice :D
That's all for now!

Fair play for having a crack at this and for being different but cant help think id just of got a sport bumper to start with

Well, with hindsight, I probably would have too! I just kind of prefer the look of the PH3 bumper, so why not have a go :)
Never mind ehh! At least everyone else will be able to learn how difficult it is.

Well, with hindsight, I probably would have too! I just kind of prefer the look of the PH3 bumper, so why not have a go :)
Never mind ehh! At least everyone else will be able to learn how difficult it is.

Agreed :) With my last two clios I put the PH3 bumpers on, much better IMO.

Coming along nicely, similar to what i want to do.
Were the arches a direct fitment ?

All parts are interchangeable from the sports.
The arches are a little fiddley to get off, but not difficult! About 7 or 8 bolts either side I think...
Thing is, when you get arches, you'll be needing the front bumper and side-skirts too, or else it won't quite look right :)

Im gutted that the widearch mod didnt work. thought it was different and worked pretty well.

Shame really :( As said the superT's work great on your car :)

It could probably be done if I threw more cash at it or got a body shop to make it work.
But I just don't have that sort of money to throw away if it doesn't work again...
Never mind! I'll just have to settle for a nice rep I guess...

is there possibly a way of attaching the arch's and the bumper off the car. So basically its not being twisted and strained while its on the car. It will be a pain in the ass and a difficult task to get on, but in theory you could get it super strong off the car then put it on? Have you thought about using fiberglass and attach the wing to the bumper at the join? Ie smooth the joins together next to the headlight?

Yeah, possibly. But when it comes to fitting it to the car, it'll still twist and bend weirdly.
And whenever you want to take the bumper off you'd have to fa*ny around undoing the wings etc - and they're a pain! And there's the heart in mouth moment when you remove them, trying not to crack anything!
Plus I don't want to risk losing a bumper AND a good pair of wings if I muck it up and it doesn't work - just can't afford to ATM :(

Yeah thats fair enough. Also if i were you id keep keep the ph3 front and and just get some skirts put on it. complete rep route has been done time and time again. have it tidy like vickyx and will be better imo.

We'll see!
I've kept the wings, and another front bumper won't be too costly.
Wouldn't mind a really clean rep like BREMBO's old one though - used to love that before it got ran into :(

I think possibly... they're non sport ones of I do have them.
But its definitely the bumper that's rubbing, there was little bits of rubber from where it had been catching!

Adz

Work van
yeah the bumper bracket needs to be sanded down abit and take all your arch liners out just to make sure it isnt rubbing where u cant see ;)

renault clio mk2 16v
where did you get ur rear bumper from? im wanting it for mine but not sure where to get it and how much does it cost?

The for sale section on here is a good place to start. Think you need to be a full member though.
There will be a couple on eBay too - that's where I got mine.

Should be looking around £100ish, maybe more, maybe less - depends on condition, really.

yeah the bumper bracket needs to be sanded down abit and take all your arch liners out just to make sure it isnt rubbing where u cant see ;)

I'll get to it tomorrow! I'll have to hammerite where the paint flaked too :eek: d'oh!

renault clio mk2 16v
am planing on colour coding my clio which is black also, it seems to expensive to get it done professional, how do you do it yourself? (step by step please) :)

LOL.

errr... flatten the plastics with 240 grit paper, then work upto 400 & possibly 800 if you can be arsed.
3 or 4 coats of primer - leave overnight to set. (you'll want to spray around any edges first, before spraying the middle - this applies for all coats)
800 grit the primer, and give another coat of primer if you think it needs it.
Then it's the colour. Do 3 or 4 light coats of colour, until you've got the correct colour, leave overnight to set.
800 grit the colour, and give another coat if necessary (if you do this, probably leave it overnight again to dry).
Lacquer - this can be tricky. Try to do this where nothing can fall into the lacquer. e.g. dog hairs, bugs ETC.
do lots and lots of light coats, being careful not to let it run.
Leave this about a week to set.
Then using 2000 - 3000 grit paper, wet sand the lacquer so you're left with a dull shine. Then, if you've got one, use a rotary or DA Polisher and correct as you would. If not, you'll need plenty of elbow greese and a few grades of polish! Then seal the paint, and wax it.

I think that's everything...
Just practice yourself - I'm sure everyone has different ways of doing it! And the worst that can happen is you need to start again - nothing gets ruined!

Arch Rolling: Finished

As per title. Sanded some of the bumper away, bent some more metal and everything works nicely!
Took away about this much:

_G1S3379copy.jpg

So now my arches look like this: (I did hammerite them after taking pictures!)

_G1S3394copy.jpg

You may be able to spot a small hole at the top of the arch...
Caused by this falling off

_G1S3386copy.jpg

_G1S3387copy.jpg

Oh well...

My wheels move, I'm happy!

5129112494_d3ced1e140_z.png

5128504833_e37939b528_z.png

Yippeee.
Now to get them refurbed... Silver!

Last edited: