ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Momo boss tracking problem

Clio 182 Trophy
Hi,

Recently fitted a Momo boss to my 182 (with cruise control). The Sabelt wheel is currently at around 11oclock when driving in a straight line so obviously something isn't right.

I know the Momo boss has an indication to show where the "Top" of the boss should be located, and this is closer to 7oclock.

Am I right in thinking if I reposition the steering wheel so it is aligned with the "Top" position on the boss, I can then turn the wheel to the genuine top position and then adjust the tracking to suit ... ?

If I've been a little vague please feel free to tell me and I will try to explain some more.

Cheers,
Steve

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
I'd say so mate, I thought the bosses could only fit in one position? You definitely need the marker at the top then just rotate your wheel around to suit, might still be out but that could be your tracking. If it's only a small amount you might be able to sort it as there's a slight amount of play in the screws that hold the wheel on.

Clio 182 Trophy
Yeah they only fit one way mate as they have a king spline. When it's fitted the top marker is at 7oclock though rather than 12 so guessing the tracking has been moved a lot to suit a knock off boss or something.

I've moved the wheel (left the boss in the same position) and the closest I can get it is 11oclock but the top marker on the boss obviously still sits at 7 if you get me ... ?

In theory, I could just move the wheel from the 11 position to centre then adjust tracking to suit but the OCD in me is telling me to put the wheel back on so it's perfectly aligned with the boss at 7 and then adjust to suit from there.

Not sure why it's like this, never had this issue before when changing bosses over lol.

See the picture below, the wheels are perfectly straight there and the steering wheel sits like this. The orange mark I've added is roughly where the top marker is.

My plan is to remove the steering wheel and then refit in the correct position then adjust the tracking accordingly.

Attachments

• 20180329_020414.jpg
    20180329_020414.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 57

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
A few Things to consider and check that can become misaligned, before adjusting the tracking.
  • Steering wheel - The 6 bolts that hold wheel to the boss, giving 60degrees variations, so pretty obvious when wrong and easy to fix.
  • Boss to column alignment, almost impossible to get wrong on the clio as the column is keywayed. But worth a check as people can force them past the keyway.
  • Column to rack spline (above clutch pedal). No key way, and can end up out of alignment if the subframe is dropped. If its not been dropped then shouldnt be an issue, but if you don't know full history of car its possible. It needs the Column to rack alignment to be checked. The rack has max points left to right, and an (unmarked) centre point you want to be close to when pointing straight on. If the splines are out too much in one direction can mean the rack is misaligned with the column, so the car can steer in one direction more than the other (can cause issues with catching on inner archers etc). As the centre is unmarked, the only way to check this is to turn lock to lock. - There should be exactly the same turns between centre to left as there is centre to right. As a rough guide, if there is more than 1/4 of a turn difference between full left to full right then the rack should be disconnected from the column spline (by clutch pedal) and reconnected a spline or 2 further around. Its a pain as it needs the subframe dropping - but if it is out then using the tracking to adjust it out will likely cause issues with how much you can or cant steer in either direction.