ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Monaco 172. Low Milage, Unmolested, OEM+ and tidy up.

Monaco
It’s about time I started a project thread for this car.

Some of you may remember my 1.2 Odyssey Blue “Low and Slow” from a few years ago. It was a car I was in no hurry to get rid of but being 20 and never owned anything serious I was always keeping my eye open for a faster alternative. It would take something special to tempt me to take the plunge but special I found.

I stumbled across a pensioner selling her immaculate Moncao Blue 172. 28k miles in 10 years of ownership, main-dealer serviced religiously, 2 belt services done, kept in a garage all its life, no melting thumb grips, no dents, no scrapes, I could go on. Needless to say I paid exactly what she was asking for it and after she cooked me dinner (yes, she wouldn’t let me drive it on an empty stomach) it was mine.

Pistonheads advert photo:
1869940-2.jpg

After it's first tidy-up and clean. CS sticker and RS mats added. RS Badge removed:
cropped2.jpg

cropped3.jpg

cropped9.jpg

The mods would always have to be sympathetic as this car is far too good of an example to go for an all out track car or some scene machine.

My first iteration was a general tidy up, Eibach Sportlines, some 15” Oz Superturismos, de-tango'd and a ktec matt carbon splitter with plans for a cup spoiler and Trophy Treadlines:
edit2.jpg

edit1.jpg

edit3.jpg

edit4.jpg

Then in summer 2012 I landed my first proper - and perfect starter - job in London. Living in Dundee at the time I returned the car to standard and got as far as writing the advert to sell it before I sought an alternative. I was living in a 1 room flat in central London and only just able to afford to live. Fortunately my grandparents stepped in and offered to keep it in their garage.

Instagram 12 months in with some serious withdrawal:
ScreenShot2014-01-20at155248_zps2e72db4f.png

Flash forward 18 months and in the same week I land a new job and buy a flat. The flat has safe on-street parking so - in this same week - I MOT’d (it flew through only needing a washer pump), taxed and insured it.

So it is back on the road. 4 years of ownership, 13 years old, still no faults, 39k miles, still no melting on the steering wheel, still no dents or scrapes and still puts a huge smile on my face every time I put my foot down. I could not want for anything more.

Poor iPhone-quality photos of it's first day back on the road:
photo2-2_zpse6375199.jpg

So the plans are to keep it as OEM as possible whilst tightening it up and sorting a few niggles. Current list is:

• Panel Filter,
  • LED interior bulbs,
  • Cooksports/Sportlines/H&Rs
  • New front shocks (got an advisory on the MOT for a leaky one)
  • Cabasse head unit with MCM airplay mod
  • Sort the mounting of the rear speakers out to get a bit more bass
  • Spacers all round
  • Polybushes
  • Paint the inlet manifold and engine cover (to tidy up the engine bay a bit)
  • Battery cover (to tidy up the engine bay a bit)
  • New header tank (I’ve got a yellow-stained one)
  • Skoda Splitter
  • New tyres all round
  • Proper clean and some proper up-to-date photos

C&C welcome :)

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks like a great example and plans look good :)

Monaco really suits silver 172 alloys so glad you've gone back to standard.

Monaco
Thats a very clean example man! Nice car

Monaco really suits silver 172 alloys so glad you've gone back to standard.

I totally agree. Even if I was going for different wheels I'd stick to silver. When I first put the anthracite wheel on I was really happy with it but over time I was looking at Monacos with silver wheels and thinking it looked much better suited.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I totally agree. Even if I was going for different wheels I'd stick to silver. When I first put the anthracite wheel on I was really happy with it but over time I was looking at Monacos with silver wheels and thinking it looked much better suited.

That was the main reason I never changed the alloys on my Monaco.

Only time I was tempted to change them was after seeing m0ssy's at FCS with silver Turinis.

Monaco
Only time I was tempted to change them was after seeing m0ssy's at FCS with silver Turinis.

I do have a soft spot for a Monaco on silver turinis. I also think they suit silver 2118s but they don't really conform with my OEM efforts

Monaco
Small update, but an update none-the-less. I have not changed the air filter since I got the car. I had an Espace V6 airbox on for about 6 months of driving it but still a new one was long overdue. I nabbed a freshly oiled ITB filter off @vecbtb fitted it. I got a decent battery too as 18 months of storage had pretty much killed the old one.

I'm just throwing bits at the car at the moment as I'm still moving flat. Come February it will get some real love.

iPhone quality photo again. I will get some nice ones soon:
8f75eab9-2152-41e4-8fcd-cf40cd623f33_zps083ef3e8.jpg

Monaco
Finally a good update.

I've been stockpiling a load of parts for a while now with the intention of spending a weekend fitting them. That weekend was last weekend. With the help of a good friend (Tom, whose mkv gti features in the photos) the list of parts fitted is as follows:
LED interior bulbs,
H&R Sport Springs
New front shocks (got an advisory on the MOT for a leaky one)
Cabasse head unit with MCM airplay mod
Sort the mounting of the rear speakers out to get a bit more bass
Spacers all round
Skoda Splitter
Proper clean and some proper up-to-date photos

Some final shots of the filth and anti-stance:
photo1_zpse4d4ffbe.jpg

photo2_zps9945759f.jpg

And here's how she stands now:

edit3_zps196a0cbb.png

edit4_zps659bad67.png

edit6_zpsc94eddbd.png

edit1_zps5fd07873.png

edit7_zps6115fe2e.png

C&C welcome as always.

Monaco
I had previously subscribed to your thread lol

Looked awesome the other night, what's next?

Cheers!

Realistically tyres and tracking next. Long term Recaros (I'm 5th in the queue for yours right?! Ha) and possibly ITBs. Oh and a cup spoiler if I ever find one in Monaco.

Monaco - 172
Cheers!

Realistically tyres and tracking next. Long term Recaros (I'm 5th in the queue for yours right?! Ha) and possibly ITBs. Oh and a cup spoiler if I ever find one in Monaco.

I want one to, isn't many around :dapprove:

Very nice thread mate. Very tidy

Monaco
More mods underway. I recently upgraded to the Cabasse headunit for numerous reasons; improved sound quality whilst looking OEM but mainly to free up the CD changer socket, get an aux adapter and do the MCM airplay mod. Whilst they make it removable and plug into the cigarette lighter I plan to keep it out of sight, pulling power from the back of the socket and securing it out-of-sight behind the glovebox. It would be finished by now had it not been for a misleading datasheet for the voltage regulator resulting in me blowing both my voltage regulators. Fail. I got this far:

IMG_4548_zpsde513fce.jpg

I'll update when there's some more progress

Monaco
I didn't realise I'd neglected this thread so much. Here's a time lapse of the fitting of the previously mentioned mods:

Proper update to follow...

Monaco
So, running a car in London is brutal; firstly theres the manic driving, then Saharan desert sand, parking situations, parking ticket (on my 3rd now, all times I have left the car legally parked) and the rest of the hazards. Then I have to wrestle with the gigantic curbs and relentless supply of sap that seems to fall from the tree I have to park my car under. Not to mention some of the MPG's I've witnessed whilst sitting in traffic in hot days.
Here are some high (low) lights:
Saharan desert Sand. The car was clean 24 hours before this photo:
IMG_4802_zpsfcf74129.jpg

This is a 3 mile average, a drive that took over an hour in 32 degree heat. London rush hour fail:
IMG_5104_zps7ad09189.jpg

The sap from the tree I park under. This stuff really welds itself on. Its also sticky to the touch and stays on your fingers too. Genuinely revolting.
IMG_5441_zpse14c8373.jpg

Anyway, despite that she's looking and feeling healthier than ever. I've fitted Cruise Control. I never intended to do this mod but at £100 all in i couldn't refuse:

IMG_5264_zpse931106f.jpg

I transplanted the 182 CC buttons from the melted 182 wheel to my original wheel.
IMG_5266_zpsf33afc51.jpg

Notice the wheel. Still original, still mint.
IMG_5269_zps616991c7.jpg

Then it was time for a service with help from @AlexW
IMG_5447_zps3a5b45ff.jpg

Old plugs. No nasties.
IMG_5455_zpsa7ea5fa2.jpg

Can only be
IMG_5456_zps45dfd82d.jpg

Even fitted a <1950s Ford horn. I've been spending too much time with @navdci and he has an excellent horn. No more horn envy now.
IMG_5449_zps9ac509bf.jpg

And when the car is feeling freshly serviced theres only one thing to do; clean.
IMG_5458_zps2c20d168.jpg

IMG_5461-1_zps8a4b27b4.jpg

IMG_5464_zps9c339e09.jpg

IMG_5474_zps76a673c7.jpg

That's how she stands. Still subtle, still OEM, still great.

It's looking like there could be some fun mods on the horizon though :wink: Watch this space...